It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 103
<< 100  101  102    104  105  106 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Reading some of the comments here, makes me wonder, "What is the actual purpose of a site like this?".
Is this site here to provide an outlet for those who have something extraordinary to share? Is it a place where people can explore the mysteries, phenomenon, and weirdness that abound in life?
Does this site promote awareness of the world, current events, and political issues, as well as the world forum?

Or are the intentions of this site different?
Is a niche' being filled, while advertisement dollars get funneled into coiffures?
Are we being fooled by false and misleading information, disguised as truth.
Is this merely a conspiracy fan's site or a place where big brother can keep tabs on the general thought consensus.
Is anyone who actually has something significant to offer "tagged"?

Anyone's guess

Do we deny ignorance. To deny that one is ignorant is to be fully involved with ignorance. Accepting ignorance and growing past it is more a moe apt description, but not as catchy, I suppose.

So on with business as usual.

If there is proof of "_____________" do we rip it apart, deny, or otherwise condemn it, or do we investigate, discover, and accept the possibilities?
That is a choice we all have to make.
So.......anyone care to step forward with some pertinent information, we here at ATS would love to investigate?

103/mk2/subroute-9

[edit on 28/5/2009 by reticledc]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Normally I wouldn't reply to childish name calling but you seem to be having a bit of a hissy fit so I'll do my best to straighten you out, again...

Here's what I posted the last time someone tried to twist what we've said we have into something it's not...

posted on 5/3/2008 @ 06:19 PM

reply to post by MrdDstrbr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for being a little harsh... Number one we are NOT "sitting on it" we are waiting for ANY MSM operation to want to run with it, we've talked to all of the "A" list and are waiting to talk with the "B" list.

Number two there is NOTHING to worry about, these documents only prove that the U.S. Government definitely does have an interest in UFOs despite their proclamation in 1969, they have definitely been lying to the population and we have rock solid PROOF, in their own "hand" (official letters) that they lied to not one but two U.S. Senators about it.

They also irrefutably PROVE that there has been at least one totally bizarre object that came to ground, nobody knew what it was, and it was not, I repeat NOT of this Earth, and it was certainly manufactured or made/built, assuming we can believe what's said in a closed door, secure hearing before a select committee of the U.S. Congress.

The reality is NOBODY is ever going to be incompetent enough to literally write "we met the aliens" or "it was definitely an alien space ship from another planet" in ANY official document. You have to "connect the dots" between many documents to assemble the big picture.

BUT (there's always a "but") even when you connect the dots all you can totally PROVE is what I outlined above. Our hope is that IF we can get some real MSM light shining on these documents and the REAL story they tell, the people who think this is all just crap might not only take notice but might get a little upset about being B.S.ed for fifty plus years.

This is not disclosure folks, this the best we (TEAM ATS) can put together in the hope of instigating disclosure. We all know what's happened to the last people who had a serious opportunity, they either sold out reason and logic for the gold sensationalism can bring or they were simply NUTS.

PLEASE be patient, these documents aren't going anywhere (we have them locked up in a vault) and we will NOT do anything "halfarsed" ever.

edit to ad: The current situation with MSM is that if it's been seen/presented anywhere before they won't touch it. They all want exclusive first breaking news editions. We are going to play along for a while longer until we've run every trap we can. At the end of that time if none of the MSM are willing to run this we WILL put it all online but I assure you that will not have 1/10 the power of prime time T.V.

Springer...

Now, do take a DEEP BREATH and try to avoid the urge to spin things into something they are not.

Springer...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Thank you for clearing that up, and sorry for my little toys-pram-throwing session. I was more peaved at the thread being locked and moved than anything else, as i thought there was a discussion to be had. Anyroad, thank you for clearing it up in a nice way like that, and I prefusly appologise for being a little less than polite about it all. (my only excuse is, it was after lunch, I'd been to the pub, you should hear the after work abuse my boss gets
)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

To be honest, if I believed someone was sitting on what you thought we were sitting on I'd get a little "bent" over it as well. The reality is we do have "proof", just not proof of ET.

What we do have proof of is the BSing of the population.

Your "calling out" might have had a good outcome in as much as we are thinking about running this story on our "soon to be launched" News Network.

If we can't get the MSM to pay any attention we'll just have to do it ourselves methinks.

Stay tuned and please be PATIENT as there is only a handful of us and our resources are VERY limited in this economic nightmare.

Springer...

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I will be patient, unless I wipe this episode from my memory and do it all again in a months time (I'm joking, I'm not that bad,...honest, although I have posted the same thread, twice, in the space of a few months, cos i forgot I posted it
)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, thanks again for your patience with me.

(I know what I'm like, so really, thanks
)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Salutations,

Is there a possibility of getting an automatic log off of ATS after a certain period of idleness? I was left on all night because my 'clicking' the logout button didn't take and I thought it did before closing my browser.

I do realize that ATS loves this fact because it leads to ATS looking like they have lots of people on line but I think that after about six hours of not clicking on anything on ATS it should log you off. I mean think security... What if I'm logging on at a library and I click to logoff and it doesn't do it. The next person could have access to my account. And that would be ATSs fault if my account was idle for six or more hours and someone gained access then.

It's only common sense and proper security.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

Such a thing actually happens. If you look at someone's mini profile, you will sometimes see things like 'member was online 12 minutes ago.' That doesn't necessarily mean they logged out or closed their browser. It simply means they are no longer moving around the site. The notices will appear on the profile starting with five minutes of inactivity.

So once you are inactive for five minutes, it will count up to 60 minutes then show you are offline. But I believe you are no longer shown on the 'who's online' list after something like 20-30 minutes of inactivity.

Edit to add: Well similar at least. It doesn't technically log you out but you are shown as offline and such. Just wanted to clarify.

[edit on 5/28/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Is Worldwatcher still the person to contact regarding 'writer status'? If not, could someone please let me know who I should u2u on the subject? I cannot post anything in the collaberative writing forum so I figured I could ask here. Thank you kindly!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Whether or not you're "logged in" has no effect with regards the "Who's On" list at the bottom of the main board page. Your account username will only show as being "On" if you're currently active on the boards.

I believe there's a 10 minute server lag (refresh rate) for that feature, so you may show as active and "On" for a while even after you've closed your browser or logged off.

Hope this helps.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

Yes she is, masqua too. Pop one of them a u2u and go from there.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
All fine and dandy guys and gals but it doesn't address the issue.... security... I left a computer for over 12hrs and then restarted my browser and ATS was still logged on with my account. If it had been someone other than myself, then they would have had access to my account....

How many people have had someone use their account because of this LACK of security on ATSs part? Now I realize that I am in control of logging off but I, as well as others would expect ATS to have some thought in the PRO-ACTIVE area of things.

This is a SECURITY ISSUE that needs to be dealt with... please don't sweep it under the carpet like most things...

Thanks

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

You're right with regards each member being personally responsible for their own individual account here, as expressly outlined in the Terms & Conditions agreed to.

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
How many people have had someone use their account because of this LACK of security on ATSs part?

How is that a lack of security on behalf of the site?

Simply "logout" prior to closing your browser and said "security risk" is eliminated entirely.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Like I said... I clicked it like I've clicked it a number of times and it 'appeared' to end the session and close ATS.... BUT IT DIDN'T..... It's happened a few times to me...

Is this a problem for your programmers to do? Should only take a line or two to correct this SECURITY RISK to your valuable members.... You have great programmers and HTML writers we are told... maybe this is something they don't know how to do?

Is this asking TOO MUCH from you ATS?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

ATS or BTS or Both?

If you're on a BTS forum when you logout, you'll still remain logged in on ATS ... and vice-versa.

Is that possibly the situation here?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I don't log onto BTS... ATS only...

**ADDED** Guess that could be something that could be FIXED also... If you log off ATS and are left logged on BTS after closing the browser then that is a SECURITY ISSUE also...

[edit on 28-5-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllTiedTogether
I do realize that ATS loves this fact because it leads to ATS looking like they have lots of people on line

That's not the case at all. Our "users online" function only counts "active sessions," and our session timeout is set for 20 minutes... so if you're not clicking anything for more than 20 minutes, your session times out and you're not in the list.

I think that after about six hours of not clicking on anything on ATS it should log you off.

Simply not possible.

If your browser is sitting idle, it's not in communication with our server... therefore, we cannot initiate any action to automatically log you out if you're not connected to the server(s).

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Then I suggest you get some other programmers Bill...

I have lots of SESSIONS that I log onto and they quit after a certain amount of inactivity is noticed from my browser... my EMail is one of them...

Maybe we have some programmers on here that would be able to help your programmers get this SECURITY ISSUE dealt with?

Anyone?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

The seeming fixation on any sort of all caps security issue, with regards the site as a whole, would appear more pointed and purposeful than even closely resembling a true concern of the members... lest we would be seeing similar type queries on a daily basis.

Aside from financial, banking and various secure server-based sites, the vast majority of websites requiring a login will and do keep you logged in, for either the "life" of the cookie placed or until the individual logs out.

If you're using the logout link and it's "not working" then it would seem more a browser or computer-related issue. (?) ... else there would be other similar "complaints" on a daily basis.

I'm not an admin nor an owner but it would appear this "issue" doesn't exist for the vast majority of members here... aside from yourself, that is.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I have noticed one thing; the past weeks I haven't logged in. I mean, apparently I don't need to. So I'm not being logged out - even when I sleep (yes, with the computer switched on :]). Maybe this is because of the MutterBox - every refresh counts as a page visit, thus I'm still active?

To respond to the question "How is that a lack of security on behalf of the site?":
While most of the computers we use are personal or at least private in a way, a lot of them aren't, while they still might be used by users to log on to ATS. This is also true for compromised computers (e.g. with backdoor trojans or misconfigured file-sharing applications) - a session ID could be read from the browser history and misused to gain account control. There are multiple reasons why people don't log off - some forget, some don't even know it's possible, and some might not be able to (emergencies?). Automatically losing access after a period of time is a very important part of coding a user-based system and should be thoroughly checked for holes. Why? Because if it's not done by the coders, it could be done by a 3rd party - an uninvited 3rd party. Since ATS is growing evermore rapidly, I reckon it also becomes increasingly important to make sure there are no security holes - the more popular a site becomes, the more attacks it will receive.

I was actually planning to post this: when I configured my avatar, I got a message:

ALERT!

YOUR AVATAR MUST NOW BE HOSTED THROUGH YOUR PHOTO ALBUM ON OUR MEDIA PORTAL.

The message was almost in the same shade of grey as the background, and I almost missed it. My theme is 'dark'.
Also, kudos to all you guys, I know you hear it a lot but enough is impossible right ;] I love ATS.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Here you go guys.... I'll do the work for you...

Here's some code to help you know what to put on your pages to log off a VALUABLE ATS MEMBER who's SECURITY should be your utmost concern....

function setCloseTimer()
[
window.setTimeout("window.close()", 300000);
]

Change the time of 300000 to whatever suits your fancy... at least it will work... and also my bank logs me off after certain amount of time... it's called SECURITY...

If you'd like something that deals with what you use... let me know and I'll try to solve the problem for you....

Thanks...

[edit on 28-5-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

new topics

top topics

<< 100  101  102    104  105  106 >>

join