It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 101
<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

Should we alert repeat threads? Or ... I mean... let them go?

I had a similar question once, and I think the answer I got was "use the alert button to let mods know but don't reply in-thread."

I always think the in-thread comments can be helpful, since they usually provide the url of the earlier thread and can help avoid situations in which there's excellent discussion in two concurrent threads and one of them has to be trashed or closed. But then I don't know how things work behind the scenes.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Aw okay! Thanks so much!

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Please don't assume there's a mod available to read every post in every thread, much less in anything approaching a timely manner.

Posting a comment in a thread like, "Hey mods..." serves no purpose other than taking a thread off-topic. if there's something going on needing a mod's attention. please use the Alert feature. It will post a thread in the Staff forum which all mods, administrators, and owners can view complete with a link to the alerted thread. Add whatever comments are pertinent and we'll take whatever action is seen as necessary.

Posting a link to another thread is okay, and sometimes linking to older threads is helpful to point out other related information. But a post like, "Hey mods, this is a duplicate thread and should be closed" isn't good, especially when not followed up with an alert.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Confidential Codeword Jupiter One Compartment Alpha 2201

Hi All,

I tried to post something in the thread the SO had describing his new tags etc.. but the thread was closed before I could...

I then posted something in relation to it in a thread about the 250 numbers and their relation to the ADs... it closed..

I think I have a great idea that the members would like to see but I can't seem to put it out to the members for an idea of how many would like it or what the consensus might be.

I did put it here but not sure how many people actually see it since they seldom respond within that thread as it's more suggestions with little feedback.

I would have started another thread with this as a topic but I noticed that yesterday someone had done that and they were closed and told to submit in the thread I linked above...

Hopefully this can be viewed by members and maybe some discussion can be generated as to the thoughts of how it would be.

Rgds

Confidential Codeword Jupiter One Compartment Alpha 2201

[edit on 17-5-2009 by AllTiedTogether]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Another quick question if I may ...

I'm sure this is right in front of me and I can't see it but ...

Is there still a way to find recent threads I flagged?

I often flag a thread of great interest and come back to post to it later, we used to have that feature on our profile page but now I can't find it.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Ok, I swear that used to be right there on the Profile Page, but now I don't see it anymore.

Thought for the future, you could always use the "Subscribe" feature and have the list in your MyATS page?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Im not going against anything on this site but how come people just cant speak their mind about what they want .Like i understand about cussing and yelling but freedoms of speech dont seem so free in this day in age. sorry ATS no need to offend

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by not_ontopic
Im not going against anything on this site but how come people just cant speak their mind about what they want .Like i understand about cussing and yelling but freedoms of speech dont seem so free in this day in age. sorry ATS no need to offend

You are as free as you act, in my opinion. Do you want to censor yourself? If you object to something, get specific - vague allusions to "cant speak their mind" are really useless.

But, to actually answer your question (since I'm in that kind of mood), I see three issues: Decorum, Topicality, and Utility.

Decorum: I take care to attempt to express myself in a non-vulgar way on ATS, and I appreciate that others do, too. This extends to word choice, the use of non-assumptive argument (expressing clearly), and addressing the discussion rather than personalities.

Topicality: ATS isn't for talking about everything (although, perhaps, everything can be related to topics that ATS is interested in). So talk about your local sports team is likely not welcome here, unless they're aliens or sponsored by the Federal Reserve. Also, it's not a perfect forum; various subjects are pragmatically avoided, with the reasonable justification that they overload the moderator's abilities to keep threads from spiralling into banality. I personally agree with such topical limitations, in principle, until an effective method of preventing "the chaff from obscuring the wheat" is devised.

Utility: Although there's no T&C about it, some things just aren't worth arguing about. Often the "wedge issues" people would raise have valid truth on both sides, and one or more sides are emotionally bound to seeing their point of view as exclusively valid and oppressed. Addressing those issues is a matter of personal choice - my opinion is that only absolute wrongs should be approached with a mindset of "doing battle", and my experience is that there's very few instances where that's justified.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Sorry, there's no longer a record in your profile of the most recent threads you've flagged , or anywhere else as far as I know.

Your fallback would be to subscribe to the threads you've flagged but not participated in.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Sorry, there's no longer a record in your profile of the most recent threads you've flagged , or anywhere else as far as I know.

Sorry, just to be contrary: there's almost certainly a record of threads you've flagged and starred. It exists in the SQL back-end of the ATS website. Members should be aware of this, if they're at all concerned with whether such information can be subpoenaed via appropriate legal avenues (a concern which is irrational to the aware ATS member, in my opinion).

The star and flag systems disallow multiple flagging and starring of posts, and not just on a per-user basis, but on a per-IP-address basis. This fact is known to anyone who has a SO who is also an ATS member, and with whom they share an internet connection.

This indicates that the IP that starred or flagged a post is recorded and accessible either via an explicit SQL table dump, or a very simple SQL query.

Now, whether those IP address can be definitively back-correlated to an individual user account or individual is not provable from observation, but is quite likely the case, as staff has disclosed that IP address is recorded when posting or replying.

None of this is of any concern, really, other than to technically picky people like me. See the ATS Privacy Policy, which is both standard and reasonable for internet forums.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Riiiight, you can use legal channels to obtain the flagging record or, perhaps, you can subscribe to the threads you flag in an effort to keep up with them.

I'm actually wondering if a court of law would even take the case of flagging conspiracy and alien themed discussion forums on the internet.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
For the record, all I was looking for is to see if there was still a way for me to see which threads I flagged.

I'm not suing anyone over it.

Or am I?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I'm actually wondering if a court of law would even take the case of flagging conspiracy and alien themed discussion forums on the internet.

Nah, but it is reasonable to consider, for example, that an ATS member accused (of course unjustly!) in some way of domestic terrorism might face a court of law that would subpoena ATS records to show that, perhaps, the member had flagged every thread in the 'Survival' forum about stockpiling "SHTF" supplies. That could be used as direct evidence of pre-supposition of knowledge of reaction, that TPTB might be able to portray as "premeditation".

Yes, this is ATS, which provides the context where such lines of reasoning are "reasonable".

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
Nah, but it is reasonable to consider, for example, that an ATS member accused (of course unjustly!) in some way of domestic terrorism might face a court of law that would subpoena ATS records to show that, perhaps, the member had flagged every thread in the 'Survival' forum about stockpiling "SHTF" supplies. That could be used as direct evidence of pre-supposition of knowledge of reaction, that TPTB might be able to portray as "premeditation".

aside from the lunacy of the concept, the reality is, if a member were to have done something heinous (and it's happened before) the feds would want to see their posts not their flagging behavior.

last I checked, sites visited and psots made were used to give insight into a person's psyche, not their flagging.

imagine, if you will, a court case where you are on trial for some horrific crime, say terrorism, as you brought it up.

imagine the US Attorney, trying your case, bringing up the flagging of some conspiracy forum thread as means of showing, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you actually committed the crime you are being tried for.

not admissable in court other than to establish areas of interest and, to be honest, a moron with a semester of law under his belt can explain it away.

so, yeah, as I said, not a concern and not something we will be going back and digging up for anyone, any time soon.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I mostly wander-off for a couple of days and come back to find myself not only labled, but now described... seemingly arbitrarily. Anyway, I am curious where the logic/logirhythm for all of this lies.

Some people's new 'status' seems to be randomly, and significantly, changing and it is not easily discernable what-determines-what (and yes, I saw the first thread that came out with the first labels)... most especially when it comes to these cryptic declarations in our avvie's.

All to say, you are obviously free to call me whatever you want, but it would nice nice to know why...

TWISI

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What don't you understand after reading the thread?

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Ahhh, I missed the Updates about the cryptic lines for applause... Thanks for the heads up.

Now if we can figure out some of the random jumps in the last couple of days of some people from 'Novice' to 'Bronze' we will be all 411'ed and up to speed.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Because of

BRONZE: (exception)
Members with more than 2,000 posts, but less than the other levels for bronze receive the "BRONZE" tag, but still see ads.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Enjoies, honey, you are like white on rice, all over it... You should be a Mod!!
At the very least someone should applaud you.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I have a quick question. I noticed someone had only made 50 posts but had a few thousand points. Do you get more points for posting a longer reply? How does that work?

top topics

<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join