It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 100
<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Pfffft.... plastic maybe....

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Someone with my obvious genius and intellectual acuity deserves much more than Bronze. I mean you I can understand, with your limited cranial capacity. But me to be in the same rank and file as you? It's an insult!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I've been on ATS for a few years now and I absolutely love the forum and use as one of my main sources for news and information. However, I am highly disturbed by the censorship and deletion of threads relating to drugs, and more specifically the deletion of the thread in the Breaking News section about Obama's drug czar calling for an end to the drug war. You permit and encourage conversation about everything from the looniest to the most conservative topics and that's what is great about your site. However, the fact that you censor a topic that is has prevalent and important in the modern day as the drug war is not only completely against everything I thought this site stood for but it's absolutely disgusting. The fact that someone could come on here and post a thread about how Greys communicate to them through their toaster yet they can't post a thread about something from a mainstream source that effects millions of Americans and a significant percentage of the world population is making me question why I spend time on your site and hold it in the esteem I do.

I just don't understand how you can censor information and threads from mainstream sources about a literal real life DOMESTIC WAR that irreversibly effects every citizen of this country. Especially one as big as Obama's drug czar saying the War on Drugs should end. You have threads encouraging ARMED REVOLUTION (www.abovetopsecret.com...) and about the RAPE OF CHILDREN (www.abovetopsecret.com...) yet you won't permit threads about the drug war? What?

Your TOS states

2e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities; specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, dicussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

2e.i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form.

I understand your feelings on this however if I understand these rules and your intent correctly, you're discouraging the advocation of personal drug use. However, there's nothing in those rules about drug policy or government approach to such. What's even more appalling is the cynicism on this site in regards to the approach of this on ATS. In the thread I'm talking about, despite nothing but positive conversation and nothing that violates your TOS, a number of members were convinced the information and thread would be deleted. I for one, didn't believe this because there was nothing objectionable in the thread and I thought ATS was above that. Sure enough I log on this morning and it's 404ed.

Do not get me wrong, I love your site. I think it's one of the most innovative on the web. However, I want this explained to me because right now I find it very insulting that those in charge here at ATS either don't think the faithful can handle the discussion or you're afraid of consequences of drug discussion (which would be... what? and don't you people think men in black are chasing you anyway?) It's completely hypocritical. I thought this site was about Denying Ignorance.

At the very least, I think you need to put somewhere in your rules why threads relating to the drug war are removed.

Thank you and I look forward to a response.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
I am highly disturbed by the censorship and deletion of threads relating to drugs

As has been repeatedly indicated, far too many times, all drug-related topics are off-limits do to the inability of many members to discuss the topic without getting into advocacy of personal use.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Thanks for actually reading my thoughts Bill

Guess I can't be on your site anymore. How do I go about deleting my account?

[edit on 15-5-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hey....

Should the criterions for the new medal system be posted, or....

Should the criterions be kept....

"Above Top Secret"?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CuriousSkeptic

It doesn't have to be like that.

The problem with the drug topics is that people just don't stick to the topic at hand and blab on and on confessing to their own personal drug use. I personally don't understand the need to publicly confess to what is criminal activity on a public forum. But there are sites out there (and plenty of them) that these sort of self confessions are encouraged and allowed.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
That's fine, I'm not trying to pick fights with anyone or otherwise be rude. But don't kid yourself, this is rampant censorship over something very real and that effects the members here on ATS. You have to question if this is censored, why is it censored and for end? I personally think it's completely small-minded to not even be given the oppotunity to discuss such a topic and the implications of it and just have those in charge of ATS pull away with the confidence "Oh the ATS faithful can't handle it". [SNIP]you for insulting my intelligence and the intelligence of those on the boards. I'm not going to debate the policies of what is already in place because it's your boards and you can do what you like and I do somewhat agree with those policies but what I'm debating is something that is not covered in your rules and now your willful censorship of it. It's tough to be a moderator and to make the rules, I totally respect that and I respect everyone's opinion on that matter. However, I feel this is completely against what I thought this place was about. I'm beginning to think it's less and less about any kind of real discussion or research and more about generating ad revenue from the kooks out there (as I see on the bottom of every page I go to here on ATS)

Besides, you allow those threads on child rape which is the exact same logic of the violation of rules as the drug war threads. You allow threads on all manner of illegal activities (I think armed revolution and killing politicans is illegal... sadly) yet you're going to draw the line at something that jails literally hundreds of thousands of citizens? The very conspiracies, corruption, and out-right evilness this site is supposed to be against, you're going to censor?

Do you guys see my point or am I just talking to walls here?

Mod Edit - removed profanity
Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by elevatedone]

I apologize for swearing, I thought it automatically filtered out swear words and I was just trying to make a point at how angry I am about this.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

No really, the members proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they could not handle it.

The difference between the child rape story and the drug issue is that no one is confessing to rape in the thread. People were readily confessing to illicit drug use in the drug topic threads and that is the problem.

If people could keep their own drug use under wraps then it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately they can't and so the owners of this site were FORCED by those members idiocy to curtail all drug threads. Ruining it for the rest of us by a few morons.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thank you for your responses man and keep in mind this isn't personal and I certainly give you and everyone who spends their time maintaining ATS all the respect in the world. I guess we've just reached an impasse of beliefs.

I'm sorry, I acted like a child. You guys don't deserve that. Your mod intrepid sent me a very nice message explaining the opinion here and why this is the way it is. I apologize. I still think it's messed up and wrong, and against everything this site claims to be. However, I respect the opinions here and I appreciate the way you guys handled my complaint.

I'll say one more thing and then I'll let it go and promise not to annoy you guys about this again

The point is this and the reason I'm so angry is this. This website is supposed to be about "Denying Ignorance" and discussion of conspiracies, controversy, alternative news, and all of that... or at least that's my understanding of it (I don't want to presume I know anything more about about ATS than anyone else, especially you guys who do the work here) With the drug war, this is a literal domestic war that has been filled with propaganda, lies, conspiracy, corruption, the whole range of evils. Everything I thought this site was supposed to expose and discuss. However, for some reason this site censors that information and discussion while pushing and encouraging things that exactly parallel the evils and rhyme and reason of the drug war yet there's no evidence of. It seems the drug war is unfairly and completely illogically censored because the owners don't like people saying they smoke pot or whatever (which in of itself is stupid, because if the majority of the populace on here are engaging in an activity that at the moment is illegal and discussing the evils of it... but you clearly state in your tos you don't want that and I support that)

There's threads about child rape, repetillian invasions, and armed insurrection against the country... yet someone saying they smoke pot in a thread about how hypocritical the evils the drug war or a news story relating to the drug war is bad on this site and worthy of censorship? We can't even go there or even begin to discuss the ramifications of the end of the War on Drugs, or the corruption or evils of it just because you guys literally are that afraid of it or can't deal with it? I thought disinfo agents and all manner of governmental baddies were on here. Yet in the face of something very real and very conspiratorial and very destructive to the lives of many... that's not permitted on Above Top Secret. If this site can't handle something real like the Drug War... then what is this site's purpose? I look at the bottom of every page and have to wonder.

That is why I'm angry

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I agree with the necessity of those topics as well. It would be preferable to remove the members that violate the T&C in those discussions. It's probable that the individuals that cannot handle themselves properly in a discussion about narcotics, also cannot maintain decorum in other areas of the forum. I'm guessing that with the great expansion of ATS it just became too difficult to monitor individuals, therefore it was probably most sensible for them to remove the topic that was sustaining the most abuse. That's just my thought on it. Still lame though

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
The point is this and the reason I'm so angry is this. This website is supposed to be about "Denying Ignorance" and discussion of conspiracies, controversy, alternative news, and all of that... or at least that's my understanding of it

Is not confessing in an online forum about one's personal use of illicit and illegal drugs "ignorant"?

I think at the end of the day, the removal of that opportunity is perhaps the oppitomy of "denying ignorance" and after some reflection, should be seen as something done in the favour of all members.

Be thankful the chance of the DEA or your equivalent kicking your door down has been removed from this arena.

However you see this issue CuriousSkeptic, stick around...."we accept you, one of us!"

[edit on 15/5/2009 by nerbot]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I have to agree wuk.

And to add (my opinion only)

It's not censorship, it's the price to pay for a free site with lots of area's to explore.

There's other places to choose that debate, where personal use stories are accepted - however, this family oriented site would not be in that category.

In other words, it's ATS rules, and if someone doesn't like it, then they are free not to read, contribute or otherwise seek enlightenment.

Just because a few "stoners" couldn't resist being a bit juvenile, we've all lost out a bit - but them's the rules.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hi folks, a quick question if I may ...

I see that on our profiles the layout was recently changed on the right of the page to show a list of our recent threads instead of the old "threads I flagged"/"threads I tagged" layout.

I actually like the change, but under the old layout we could click on "more of my threads" and it would bring up a page that looked like the "recent posts" page. I found that feature very useful as I could see the last response to all my threads.

It would be great if we could have that feature back, but if not, is there a url for that page that I can save as a bookmark?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
It should still be in your profile. Can you not see it?

S-Dog's Threads.

It should still be right next to your post button?

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Thank you thank you!!!

Edit to Ash: I must be losing my mind I still don't see it.

How did you find it joies?

[edit on 16 May 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Recent post page. Next to the author is a little box thing. Clicked it and switched in your user name in the url.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Just for curiosity's sake... I had an "off-topic post" removed for informing an OP that the thread was a repeat.

Should we alert repeat threads? Or ... I mean... let them go? I was surprised that it happened to me when I see people constantly posting "this is a repeat thread" all over and those posts are not removed.

Just not sure what action a member should take if they come upon a repeat thread.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Genius!

Three years well spent ...

new topics

top topics

<< 97  98  99    101  102  103 >>

join