It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eternity - What is it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Thanks for the thought-provoking comments.

Your final remarks brought Hebrews 12:1 to mind. Perhaps those who have left us and are already with the Lord even now share the perspective you describe. (I wouldn't push this though - this verse may be purely metaphorical.)

In any case the Bible certainly teaches that eternity differs from our world in terms of the quality of life experienced, not just in terms of endlessness.

The wonder is that we can begin to taste that reality while we are still here. To those who know it it is difficult to imagine living without it. Those who have not tasted it have yet to taste the deepest satisfaction available to the soul of man: eternal life within the soul - now.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I do not think man was created to live in a world without time.
When we do become eternal, we will live on a planet with time and seasons.

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
I do not think man was created to live in a world without time.
When we do become eternal, we will live on a planet with time and seasons.

What's your reason for believing this? I'm not trying to dissuade you from your opinions; just curious about how you arrived at them.

For people influenced by the book of Revelation, there's a lot of imagery in Rev 21 that sounds "seasonless."

23. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. 24. And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it. 25. And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.

Here's some more from Rev 22:

2. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. 3. And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: 4. And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. 5. And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever

I highlighted the mention of a tree that is always in bloom, because that sounds seasonless. Notice that there's no night and no sun. To the ancients, God created the astronomical bodies to mark the passage of time; hence the account of the creation of them in Genesis 1:14

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

By the end of the Bible, in the Apocalypse, there's no need to mark time any more, "for the old order of things will have passed away."

Now, folks who don't put any stock in the Bible wont be swayed by this description--I just put it out there for those who'd be interested.

(edit for quotes)

[edit on 17-5-2008 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

It may not be as clear as you imply.
When John saw the One on the throne, holding the sealed scroll, John describes the Elders worshiping God, day and night.
My view is that when we are in Heaven, it will always be bright, but that is a temporary home for us.
The New Jerusalem comes down to earth and our home will be back, here, after the world is rid of the devil.
It is told we will gather on new moons in our restored home planet.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Eternal life isn't in my opinion something that we acquire automatically by dying, nor is spiritual perfection. When we die we continue to progress in personality expression, mind, spirit and attunement with the will of our Father . Only when we have reached Paradise have we entered Eternity and are ready to begin our eternal career of service.

Eternity is a reality with no end or no beginning or even both, in the case of God and Paradise...

The Urantia Book P.1642 - §1 (146:3.5)

(Jesus speaking...)
"Every earth child who follows the leading of this spirit shall eventually know the will of God, and he who surrenders to the will of my Father shall abide forever. The way from the earth life to the eternal estate has not been made plain to you, but there is a way, there always has been, and I have come to make that way new and living. He who enters the kingdom has eternal life already--he shall never perish. But much of this you will the better understand when I shall have returned to the Father and you are able to view your present experiences in retrospect."

Alexandros

[edit for adding an excerpt from the U book regarding Eternal life]

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Alexander1111]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander1111

One thing's for certain: if we want to know what Jesus Christ said about a subject we sure don't turn to an occult publication dreamt up in the 20th century.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would read what the people who lived with him recorded, namely the New Testament.

If you feel the need to promote a new-fangled religion it is not unreasonable to request that you nevertheless refrain from quoting false accounts of what Jesus Christ said.

Alternatively, the next time you try this on, instead of saying "Jesus speaking..." go for "Lies, deception, and a counterfeit quote from Jesus..."

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Glad you said that, and not me.
You may notice I have negative one thousand points to my account.
I am trying to fix that.
I am a little more careful about how I word things.
I hope no one is offended.
You need to be a little thick skinned to play this game.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

dewey babes - I am thick-skinned when it comes to personal insults. Just check out what people have been throwing at me recently via my profile 'posts' list if you wish!

However when it comes to defending the integrity of Jesus' teaching I will be polite but firm. Many people admit to having only a very basic knowledge of the Bible so it behoves those of us who know the Scriptures to make it glaringly obvious that a false quote is a false quote.

It would be good to return to the theme.

There have been many insightful contributions that are totally on topic. Please keep them coming...

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Hello pause4thought!

I do not feel the need to promote anything. I very much realize that every person holds his own beliefs and wanting in some way to interfere in that is in my opinion immature and irresponsible. I do find though pleasure in sharing with other people everything that I find beautiful and true as many people here freely do with the Bible and perhaps other sources of truth and knowledge. I am sorry for the discomfort my posts create to you and to jmdewey60, as it is implied from his/her post. I truly respect your feelings, but you should also show respect for my right of expression. If it is indeed difficult for you to read my posts and any future posts I may write, you can simply ignore me.

I would also like to say that I do not deny that I am ignorant, but I do have a sincere and open heart and try my best every day to discern and hear Father's leading. But I understand... You think that the book I am citing portrays false truths and realities and is misleading. I presume that this is a conclusion you've drawn after having read the book and as I said before I respect that. In the end there are infinite paths that lead to our Father in heaven...

Alexandros

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Off topic

Pause4thought, I composed a private message, but cannot send it because I haven't reached the amount of 20 posts yet. I will send the message when I will have reached the amount of posts required to send a private message...

Alexandros

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Alexander1111]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander1111

OK.

Mods - can you take note of what this poster just said? I U2U'd him to assure him my comments were not a personal attack and he can't even reply. Might there not be a case for allowing newcomers a few U2Us to avoid this?

It might take forever for a newbie to make 20 posts...

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Indeed, this measure can be a bit bothersome. I don't even know where the number of my posts is written (I just created a thread asking that). I am currently browsing the forums to find topics I could participate just to reach the requested amount of posts...

Alexandros

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

That's an interesting line you've taken there in response to jmd's thoughts.

The problem is I have a friend who lived in Singapore for many years and he said there is no such thing as seasons at that latitude. Apparently the leaves neither go brown nor wither.

It may be close to Paradise - chewing gum is illegal out there - but it's not eternity.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join