It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hollywood prostitutes its view of "The Passion"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hollywood in all its glory has egg all over its face now as critics of The Passion are doing an about face on their ?strongly held? views about the anti-Semitic message of the movie. In fact those who just a couple of days ago were talking about blacklisting Gibson for this ?disturbingly racist? movie are now singing the praises of our American freedom of expression.

washingtontimes.com...

'Passion' critics retract reviews

By Julia Duin
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Early detractors of Mel Gibson's hit film, "The Passion of the Christ," are backing away from their critical remarks after the movie grossed a record-setting $26.6 million on its opening day.

There is a line in this story that truly tells the tale of Hollywood morality. Many in the industry, he added, "are prostitutes, and they will go wherever the money is."
The Moral prostitution of Hollywood is more disgusting to me than the prostitution of sex. At least the prostitute of the flesh makes no intimations that she (or perhaps he in this society) is of high character and should be looked up to or imitated. Yet time and again we have seen Hollywood starlets and producers alike get on a politically correct soap box and preach away on the evils of this or that only to find that their tirade was devoid of any real personal conviction. I am personally glad to see Hollywood literally aghast at the successful completion of one man?s vision of a film born from true deep convictions and beliefs.

[Edited on 28-2-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
So, a man makes a movie, in Hebrew and Latin, with subtitles, about a subject that most in Hollywood would reject immediately on a conviction and is put on the potential outcast list because of it...

until...

it makes money. And all is well. That bunch out there is really something aren't they?

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The detractors of the film love money more than their so-called principles thus is the problem to begin with all come full circle.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hollywood is so out of touch with mainstream America that it is they who risk being alienated by society, not Mel or other adventurers of faith...

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Am I even reading the same article? The one pointed to is mainly about the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) retracting critical remarks made about the film last April by its ecumenical and interreligious committee, which suggested that the film might be anti-Semitic.

It goes on and on about THEM citing it's "detractors" and "reviewers", then eventually says SOMETHING about "unnamed executives" at Dreamworks saying Mel Gibson's father was wrong to make anti-semitic remarks.

Guess what? MEL GIBSON'S FATHER WAS WRONG TO MAKE ANTI-SEMITIC REMARKS!!!

While some may be surprised that Mel made a profit on his very first day, I'm not. That was kind of the point of the controversy. I don't get the "spin" of this article AT ALL that Hollywood is falling all over itslef in any way.

Later in the article some guy writing a book ($$$) on THE PASSION says Hollywood is in shock and blah, blah, blah? Hollywood reviewers retracting reviews? Um, okay. Sure they are. Believe what you want, but I highly suggest clicking links people.

There's good reason to debate "moral prostitution" surrounding this movie, but Mel Gibson and his mugs, and T-shirts and crucifixtion neckwear should not be left out. But as for saying see, see, see them Hollywood secular satanists is eating their words. I don't see it.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
if its anti semitic, OH WHOOPS, SORRY??

its a freckin JESUS FREAK movie.....the people involved ARENT GONNA BE JEWS....

its not surprising that the movie made money, the controversy sure as hell fueled that along. and going to see the movie, paying money to see the movie, is simply dousing the flames with kerosene.

honestly, ITS A FRECKIN MOVIE. i am very skeptical of it changing anyones life. and maybe it has...who knows......but thats just ever MORE degrading of the american people....
if suddenly the only way to change someones life is through a million dollar blockbuster movie, theres something wrong.
how did jesus change anybodys life? wasn't it through....miracles or something?

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
Hollywood is so out of touch with mainstream America that it is they who risk being alienated by society, not Mel or other adventurers of faith...

Well said.

They think they we want to see the crap they churn out all the time, pumping billions into it and casting pretty boys/girls to reel people in. Trust me it is Hollywood itself that has started this hate campaign as they can't except the fact that someone can make a movie that is so outside of the convention they can do and make millions of dollars. It's all hype and unfortunately for them they've fell flat on their faces by making even more people want to see it.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Jon Stewart said it best...

Oh this is SOOOOO controversial, SOOOO against the grain... A movie about Jesus, in a Christian country. And, and, and... it follows the BIBLE as a script.

Wow, I'm SOOOOOO shocked. How out there. How avant guard. A two thousand year old script. I hope it get's the Oscar for writing.

I think this false "rebel" mentality is funny. This is so mainstream it's pathetic. I think Mel got the idea from audience reactions to the execution in BRAVEHEART. I really do.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
[url]http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808434070&cf=critic&intl=us[url]

Critics aren't really doing an about face. If they were claiming anti-semitism, they aren't doing it now. They are just saying this movie isn't that great. The B- rating puts them on par with Barbershop 2: Back in Business and just a step above Supertroopers. Also, it is a notch below the horrible Adam Sandler flick, Punch-Drunk Love. It is on par with Disney's Brother Bear and the Farrely Bros. Stuck on You. It's also right below Bad Santa and Kill Bill. Critics aren't exatly loving this film, guys.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat
if its anti semitic, OH WHOOPS, SORRY??

its a freckin JESUS FREAK movie.....the people involved ARENT GONNA BE JEWS....

its not surprising that the movie made money, the controversy sure as hell fueled that along. and going to see the movie, paying money to see the movie, is simply dousing the flames with kerosene.

honestly, ITS A FRECKIN MOVIE. i am very skeptical of it changing anyones life. and maybe it has...who knows......but thats just ever MORE degrading of the american people....
if suddenly the only way to change someones life is through a million dollar blockbuster movie, theres something wrong.
how did jesus change anybodys life? wasn't it through....miracles or something?

The movie itself can change no one. However, the exerience of seeing what Jesus went through so that lost imperfect confused people such as we all are can be in unity with a perfect omnipotent creator will change people. I had a friend who saw the movie tell me that it raises more questions about Christian faith than it answers and that in itself will change the hearts of the people of this nation for when people start to truly see answers to questions of faith in Christ the Holy Spirit will help them to find them. This will lead many to faith in Christ which will make a new person out of the old. If this isn't a recipe for social change then nothing is.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
With all the new age philosophy that is rampant in Hollywood today I would rather that they stayed opposed to this movie. That way the distinction would remain clear between Christianity and them.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
Also, it is a notch below the horrible Adam Sandler flick, Punch-Drunk Love.

Sorry to go off topic but that film was a masterpiece it truly was, I will not stand for this contempt.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
For ats threads on the Passion by Mel Gibson see the links below.

Rebirth and the Passion

Satan's Opposition

selling The passion

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
OK, an interesting thought has just occured to me. If the central charactor in the Passion wasn't Jesus Christ, would the movie be nothing more than a torture/snuff film?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The Passion of the Christ was not a good movie.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Since the main character was Jesus is the Passion of Christ a God torture snuff film? or is it a monumental portrayal of ultimate love?

top topics

join