It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fungi Have A Hand In Depleted Uranium's Environmental Fate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Fungi Have A Hand In Depleted Uranium's Environmental Fate

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (May 6, 2008) — Fungi may have an important role to play in the fate of potentially dangerous depleted uranium left in the environment after recent war campaigns, according to a new report in the May 6th issue of Current Biology, a publication of Cell Press.
The researchers found evidence that fungi can "lock" depleted uranium into a mineral form that may be less likely to find its way into plants, animals, or the water supply.

"This work provides yet another example of the incredible properties of microorganisms in effecting transformations of metals and minerals in the natural environment," said Geoffrey Gadd of the University of Dundee in Scotland. "Because fungi are perfectly suited as biogeochemical agents, often dominate the biota in polluted soils, and play a major role in the establishment and survival of plants through their association with roots, fungal-based approaches should not be neglected in remediation attempts for metal-polluted soils."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-5-2008 by grover]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
No I am not on a fungi kick lately... though I am a hobby mycologist... rather they have been in the sicence news lately and it is all facsinating.

I have mentioned in previous posts how Amanita Muscaria aka fly agaric can leach toxic chemicals out of the soil... this is another example of that very fungal property and a potentially very important one.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

join