It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security Update: Chertoff Says New Laws Needed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Homeland Security Update: Chertoff Says New Laws Needed

www.blacklistednews.com

At a speech before the Heritage Foundation this week, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said the U.S. needs to have a “nonpoliticized, serious discussion” while writing new laws to define the best way to combat terrorism.

Chertoff said that once laws are written, the public should not second-guess government actions and claim that federal officials are overstepping their authority. He decried critics who make such accusations, despite the widespread pubic calls after the September 11, 2001 attacks for the U.S. government to do more to protect the country. Chertoff further said U.S. society needs to come to a determination as to what are acceptable authorities for the U.S. government versus what violates people’s rights.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Thanks to Rabbitchaser for showing me this story. WOW if there are any people who dont really believe the government wants to slowly take away our freedoms and push us into full police state this sums it up right here. Chertoff said "Once laws are written, the public should not second-guess government actions and claim that federal officials are overstepping their authority."

OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME I need some imput on this please tell me I am going nuts or I am not reading this right....

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Now that's pretty bold. "We're going to do what we want to, and you shouldn't complain about it. We're taking away your rights so that we can keep you safe."

Safe from whom? Imaginary terrorists?

-Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Chertoff further said U.S. society needs to come to a determination as to what are acceptable authorities for the U.S. government versus what violates people’s rights

This makes me crack up. It's written down for them, in plane English. It's called the Constitution, and it's pretty much a step by step explanation of what are "acceptable authorities" and what violates peoples rights.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit

the public should not second-guess government actions and claim that federal officials are overstepping their authority.

Talk about fascism.

And what happens to us when we DO second-guess the government's actions? Especially when we are the ones who pay their salary and are the ones who are "suppossed" to have a say in our government.

fas·cism Audio Help /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fash-iz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. (sometimes initial capital letter) a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism.

dictionary.reference.com...

All that's left is to install a dictator.

[edit on 5/6/2008 by Griff]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The old Die-hard Soviets would be proud of comrade Chertoff

In fact, I remember waaaay back, not too long after the DHS was formed, there was talk of two consultant hirings. If I remember correctly they were Markus Wolfe (sp) and Yevgeny Primakov (sp), high ranking ex members of the KGB and East German STASI. There was little or no reporting of this in the mainstream media at the time, I'll have to see if I can dig out anything when I get home this evening.

Sure would explain a lot though

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

If the public limits what the government can do, it must accept that the risk of terrorist attacks may increase, he said. If the public gives the government greater authorities, it should not criticize the government for using those authorities at a later date.

One could construe either of those remarks as being a veiled threat...

What is disturbing to me is that the foundations are in already in place for anyone critical of government to be considered a domestic threat (see sig). His language implies that once new laws are in place, criticism will not be tolerated. I just dont get it, the more rights they take away, the louder the drum beat that we need to give up more.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ok so Im not going mad I am reading this correctly...I mean you talk about balls...how come NO CANDIDATES are talking about this. This is scary stuff and Im going to find a way to contact Chertoff direct. Ill let you know if I get through....this is crazy ridiculous.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Ok so Im not going mad I am reading this correctly...I mean you talk about balls...how come NO CANDIDATES are talking about this. This is scary stuff and Im going to find a way to contact Chertoff direct. Ill let you know if I get through....this is crazy ridiculous.

The politicians are not speaking of this because they fear to. If it's not the DHS they fear, it's Chertoff, if not Chertoff, its the accountability of being associated with the most un-American trend in law-making since MacArthy was around.

I would hope that all you rabidly political animals out there bring this to the attention of ALL your comrades (no pun intended) and see just how well they 'conform' to the notion that we, as the citizens, are not to 'second-guess' the all-powerful and might Oz. After all, they have all the 'secret' knowledge, and we are just regular people who merit no accounting of their governance.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
S & F, mybigunit -- and thanks for the nod for this article
I was at the end of a long night of posting in "The Daily Mid-East Mess" (while at work) and was just not thinking real clear -- like you, I was unsure I even read it correctly -- it appears we did

This is truly one of the most unbelievable and surreal series of comments from one of these guys to date. I say this is one article that should be emailed to everyone you know... it might stir some of the sleepers out there.

This is the one comment that really stupifies me, as noted by SystemiK too...

If the public gives the government greater authorities, it should not criticize the government for using those authorities at a later date.

Ummmm... I didn't know we had a choice
They certainly aren't giving me the option... anyone else? I pledge to give them NO MORE authority and would like MUCH of it taken away; especially what they've done since 911.

To reitterate, Mr. Chertoff... I am part of this public and I DO NOT give you, nor this Gov't, ANY greater authority. There will be nothing to criticize later, as you will not have any of the authority you are seeking to have at that later date.

Note that he puts all this under the guise of...

Chertoff called U.S. laws “woefully inadequate” in the context of current technology. He said the most significant step American society needs to take is adapting laws to the 21st Century challenge of fighting terrorism.

Sorry... I don't buy your excuse for all the other BS you spewed

And to insert this here as well... to give a little bigger picture of who this is actually coming from...
Dual Citizenship -- Loyal to Whom?

So, you might ask, are there any other dual Israel-American citizens who hold US government positions that could compromise American security? Yes. Consider the following list that I obtained on the web:

Michael Chertoff
Former Assistant Attorney General for the Criminal Division, at the Justice Department; now head of Homeland Security.

Check the link... PLENTY more on that list that will certainly surprise and disturb you.

And this is the one post that my signature below is definitely void.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
We have to get fascist, zionist, neocons out of this office man this is madness....I guess I never realized who he was...wow the plot thickens.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Really makes one go "Hmm..." when we remember the 5 dancing Israelis on 9/11 who had maps of NYC, box cutters, cash stuffed in socks, and positive reaction from bomb sniffing dogs, that were left free to go back to Israel. No questions asked.

The police and FBI field agents became very suspicious when they found maps of the city with certain places highlighted, box cutters (the same items that the hijackers supposedly used), $4700 cash stuffed in a sock, and foreign passports. Police also told the Bergen Record that bomb sniffing dogs were brought to the van and that they reacted as if they had smelled explosives.

www.whatreallyhappened.com...

I think it's time for people to wake up. There's definately something to this IMO.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Wow, I had no idea so much of the US Government is run by the Israelis...

So, why is your government being run by so many Israelis? Do they not trust America to run itself?

I used to think if those nut job Israelis started a total Middle Eastern war, it wouldn't necessarily mean the US would be fighting it aswell... now it's clear. The US is Israels puppet... thats all they are. A stash of weapons for Israel to use on whoever they want, and not take the blame.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

So, why is your government being run by so many Israelis? Do they not trust America to run itself?

I used to think if those nut job Israelis started a total Middle Eastern war, it wouldn't necessarily mean the US would be fighting it aswell... now it's clear. The US is Israels puppet... thats all they are. A stash of weapons for Israel to use on whoever they want, and not take the blame.

Isreal runs our banks too....they run hollywood and the media also and you wonder why our foreign policy is the way it is....

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Well, that's one way of looking at it. But because so many of us are conditioned to absolutely refuse to say anything disparaging or even remotely critical of the US-Israeli relationship, you run the risk of being flamed (they are probably stoking the fire right now).

These Israeli citizens are in said positions because no one objected to their appointment - not seriously nor in any significant way - for the aforementioned reason I suspect. "Political suicide" is the term that comes to mind. The joke that is the two-party system in this country, and its affiliation with the increasingly monopolistic media make for a powerful influence. It is clearly in someone's hands, and whoever it is, looooves the Israeli agenda with all their heart and soul. And they want it to stay this way, even if it kills you.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

If the public limits what the government can do, it must accept that the risk of terrorist attacks may increase, he said.

I accept.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by SystemiK

If the public limits what the government can do, it must accept that the risk of terrorist attacks may increase, he said.

I accept.

I mean what the hell is the people limiting the government to I just dont understand. This is what is annoying they have all the wiggle room they need they just need to get a damn warrant and see a damn judge. Im sorry this is how this country was founded....

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

I thought they got their wishlist with the Patriot Act. They must be afraid of a chink in the armor, and want to be sure that one thing is perfectly clear.

Dissent will not be tolerated!

But of course we "want it that way for our safety."

That's like...

And by the way...

[edit on 5/6/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by mybigunit

I thought they got their wishlist with the Patriot Act. They must be afraid of a chink in the armor, and want to be sure that one thing is perfectly clear.

Dissent will not be tolerated!

But of course we "want it that way for our safety."

That's like...

And by the way...

LOL!!!!!!!We have cookies...I think the really sad thing is 9 of 10 Americans have no clue. Im seriously going to start a website...who knows I may even make a congress run or something...I am going to do something to get the word out....this is madness and no this isnt sparta..

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
That is by far one of the most disturbing articles I have read.

How about this new law: "Michael Chertoff resigns or he rots in prison for the rest of his sorry life."

I accept as well, if we don't allow them to do whatever they want, without us telling them what we the people want them to do, then he is going to threaten us with more terror attacks.

These people need to be out of positions of power as fast as they can be put out. The fact that not a single candidate is even mentioning the suggestions of this power starved lunatic is more than enough to further solidify the idea that no matter who gets in office next term, we are screwed.

Disgusting.

For Christ's sake, people, are any of you really that petrified and scared since 9/11 that you need to allow people like this to tell you how its going to be, and accept it or they're going to throw more 9/11's your way? If that's the weak mindedness of the general American population than I suppose we deserve exactly what we're getting.

Stay tuned for the next episode of American Idol followed by Project Runway, there is nothing to see here that you should concern yourself with.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join