It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Bill Clinton pass up a chance to kill Osama bin Laden?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Did Bill Clinton pass up a chance to kill Osama bin Laden?

www.factcheck.org

Clinton: So we tried to be quite aggressive with them [al Qaeda]. We got – well, Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we'd been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start dealing with them again. They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, 'cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato and they didn't and that's how he wound up in Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Just imagine what this world would be like today if they would have actually accepted the offer from the Sudanese. This has been debated for a while but I believe the Clinton Administration really did refuse the offer. They could have imprisoned Osama right? I mean, I think knowing that someone wants to attack the US is good enough to lock them up, along with the knowledge that he funded terrorists back then.

www.factcheck.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

Due process is a bitch, huh? We scream for that right for ourselves, yet at the drop of a hat we're willing to sell it down river just to feel safer.

The problem with Clinton capturing OBL is that OBL hadn't done enough to warrant it. The US, no matter how entitled its government (or people) might view it, is simply not allowed to round up people and hold them with no evidence of a crime being committed.

Baying for Clinton to break the law to stop someone else from breaking the law seems rather silly.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

The problem with Clinton capturing OBL is that OBL hadn't done enough to warrant it. The US, no matter how entitled its government (or people) might view it, is simply not allowed to round up people and hold them with no evidence of a crime being committed.

Really? Then what is Camp Delta at Guantanamo Bay for?

May I point your attention to

David Hicks

He was captured by a "Northern Alliance warlord" near Kunduz, Afghanistan, on or about 9 December 2001 and turned over to US Special Forces for $1000 on 17 December 2001.[26][19][29] Hicks's father Terry, when interviewed, said "David was captured by the Northern Alliance unarmed in the back of a truck or a van. So it wasn't on the battlefield at all."[

Hey for $1000 a head, I'd be handing in everyone. [/sarcasm]

After being detained since 2001, he ultimately plead guilty to "providing material support to terrorists."

A long way from the attempted murder charges they also tried to get him for.

In May, 2007 he was returned to Australia and served a total of 8 months in an Australian prison.

CT

new topics

top topics

join