It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US: Myanmar junta failed to warn people on cyclone !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

US: Myanmar junta failed to warn people on cyclone !

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US First Lady Laura Bush accused Myanmar's military rulers Monday of failing to warn their citizens in time about a killer cyclone and pressed the junta to accept US aid in the disaster's wake.

"Although they were aware of the threat, Burma's state-run media failed to issue a timely warning to citizens in the storm's path," Bush said in an unusual appearance at the White House briefing room podium.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Let me get this right. The Myanmar junta knew in advance that this deadly storm was coming, but failed to notify its citizens. Could this be true? What would the junta have to gain by not warning its people? Who warned them of the storm's path? How long did they know of the storm before it hit land? Is this related to global warming, or is it possibly related to the events of Hurrican Katrina, and the tsunami of 2006?

news.yahoo.com

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Pot: "Hey Kettle!"

Kettle: "Yes, Pot?"

Pot: "You're black"

What a joke. Is Laura having deja vu or something? She would know better than anyone else, I guess, how incompetent a government needs to be in order to sit idly by while thousands of the civilians it's sworn to protect die.

[edit on 04/03/2008 by blackbox]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master_Wii

Let me get this right. The Myanmar junta knew in advance that this deadly storm was coming, but failed to notify its citizens. Could this be true? What would the junta have to gain by not warning its people? Who warned them of the storm's path? How long did they know of the storm before it hit land? Is this related to global warming, or is it possibly related to the events of Hurrican Katrina, and the tsunami of 2006?

news.yahoo.com

Its nothing unusal for this area to recieve such a strong (cat 4) at this time of the year.

The cyclone had been froming for a few days prior, we were watching it at my work to ensure it didnt take a more southerly path into Australian waters. The people werent warned properly because many of them do not have radio or televison and live in inadequate shelter to protect themselves.

Nothing deliberate here, just a lack of proper communication.

top topics

join