It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't we use a salary cap for govt employees?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I have been thinking about this recently. How is it that we have people in office, who make decisions that are supposed to represent the values of all American people, that make so much money that they really have no idea what daily life is like for the rest of us?

Currently, the average American makes $46,326 (en.wikipedia.org...). I think that our politicians should not be allowed to make more than 3x the average income. Their net-worth should not be allowed to exceed 1.5 million. If either of the two happen, then they would have to resign from office.

I think this would help prevent the rich passing policies that only serve the rich. I think this would create a government that is much more aligned toward the people. Obviously, other checks would need to be put in place to prevent lobbyists from meddling, but I think this would be a good start.

I know it would never happen because the people that would have to make it happen would be the ones that are currently riding the gravy train that is our government.

Does anyone else support the idea?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Well this idea needs to be applied across the board, less it falls victim to hypocrisy and double standards.

For instance, you didn't mention capping the salary on say Johny basketball star who signs 100 million dollars on a five year contract. That famous TV actress who gets paid 1 million dollars PER episode ...

Yes if they had caps, that money could very much be put to good use. I imagine taking a mer million dollars off both the above mentioned salaries would help medical and disease research funding tremendously...

Again though, this has to apply to everyone. And if it does...well.. you start deviating into other "less popular" forms of political theory

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Well, I am suggesting it for government officials because they are making decisions that affect everyone. They are supposed to represent the people. Basketball players and actesses do not. There is a salary cap in basketball BTW. Salary caps are used in sports to keep the wealthy teams from hoarding all of the talent. Kind of like the wealthy politicians are able to pass laws that benefit the upper class and unfairly affect the working class.

Another example is in the military, if you were to win the lottery, you get discharged. Because your values no longer are aligned with the people you work for. They have no control over you, so they let you go. In my opinion, the same logic applies to our govt. Their values don't align with the values of the people. They are supposed to be working for us, but we can no longer control them.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
It's not about capping salaries --- in most cases the people making decisions that affect us are so wealthy the money they earn in their positions is immaterial. The problem isn't with government employees per se as much as it is in 'elected' officials. Look at the Congressmen/women that decide (or fail to do anything) on issues that directly affect us and the course of the country. THESE are the people who are supposed to repreent our views/wishes and do anything but.

Rather than weorry about their salaries hwo about worrying about their terms in office? Some of these 'representatives' have held their positions for decades. During that time they amass significant influence and are prime targets for special interests and lobbyists. My suggestion is we start de-electing these people. Any incumbant we vote against. End their terms, their influence and their closed-door special interests. If you want change THAT'S the way to do it. Send a loud and clear message :: teh status quo ends today!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Yes, term limits is a good idea as well. I agree about the influence of special interest groups. That is why I am proposing a limit on net worth, exceed the limit and you are kicked out of office. I think that would help prevent a lot of the lobbying.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Why don't overtly criminal presidents go to jail?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ianr5741

Why don't overtly criminal presidents go to jail?

That, my friend, is the question of the century. And one to which that I, too, would LOVE to know the answer.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Because Crime is the side they work for. It's as simple as that. That's the answer.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Well, I am suggesting it for government officials because they are making decisions that affect everyone.

Money affects everyone. The allocation and spending of it, affects everyone. Hence my reasoning of avoiding this double standard. Cap the bad guys but don't cap the good guys? What is this really about? Getting back on the guys that are screwing us over? Or putting money to a better use? For the betterment of our society..

Many professions recieve an absurd excess of wealth that could be capped o so slightly, and then allocated to social services, such as healthcare, disease research, schooling, etc..

Why cap at all? Money is meant to be spent. So what are you suggesting this capped money be spent on? And why shouldn't that apply then to non-federal, non-government positions?

Everyone that makes and spends money affects everyone else in the same system. That's why it's a system.

They are supposed to represent the people.

They are people in addition to their other role. And they do represent the People with their excess wealth. Such is evident through my examples of other non-government professions recieving huge wealth.

Capitalizism. It applies to all citizens. Deviating from its core tenet is ultimately suggesting something non-captialistic. Yet you're saying this should only apply to the Goons? That kind of double standard will only further our segregation. And continue to fuel the cold materialist dissonace within our system.

Basketball players and actesses do not.

They are members of the People. They represent the People by that very nature. Do they lead? Influence legislature? Probably not. So then they should be allowed to make 100 million dollars in 5 years, but the moment they get into a political position to make change, they should be handicapped when they weren't before?

There is a salary cap in basketball BTW.

Yeah? What is it? What about the other Sports?

[edit on 023131p://6u44 by Lucid Lunacy]

new topics

top topics

join