It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran rejects nuclear inspections unless Israel allows them

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Iran rejects nuclear inspections unless Israel allows them

news.yahoo.com

GENEVA - An Iranian envoy said Monday his government will not submit to extensive nuclear inspections while Israel stays outside the global treaty to curb the spread of atomic weapons.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The existing double standard shall not be tolerated anymore by non-nuclear-weapon states," Ambassador Ali Asghar Soltanieh told a meeting of the 190 countries that have signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I don't like how much tension surrounds Iran, but I do have to give them credit for standing up and highlighting this double standard.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Very politically savvy of them. Israel isn't a signatory, however, and Iran is. That kind of mucks up the actual legal standing. But a very smart move on their part.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
What good would it do? Most countries know Israal has or can get Nuclear weapons in a hurry from the US. It would only verify this fact.

For Iran, they are between a rock and hard place. You know they have clandestine Nuclear sites and operations that they think the inspectors would not be aware of, so are trying to buy more time before they get pounded with US airstrikes.

I'm sure their intel is telling them the airstrikes are coming very soon and so you'll see some "time buying" moves by Iran which may or may not work.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_
Very politically savvy of them. Israel isn't a signatory, however, and Iran is. That kind of mucks up the actual legal standing. But a very smart move on their part.

All they need to do is give a period of notice and they can leave the NPT, legally.

Of course, the propagandists would have a field day with that, so I doubt Iran would do it.

What I find so intriniscally fascinating is that people hold the NPT up as "the line" when every single nuclear weapons state has violated it over and over again.

EDIT - unsure of the notice period, so I generalised it

[edit on 6/0508/08 by neformore]

link   
reply to post by _Del_

Then Iran should give their 6 months notice and pull out the NPT. It's unfair some nations have to abide by it and others don't.

link   
Israel not being a signatory is no excuse for them to avoid any inspections. If Iran had chosen not to sign it, guess which country would try to invade them, on the grounds that they're using nuclear technology. Therein lays another double standard.

+19 more 
posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Isn't it funny how a nation like Iran, who has never invaded another nation in it's modern history is not even allowed the possibility of pursuing Nuclear weapons, but on the other hand Israel, who has been offensively bombing Gaza and Lebanon back into the Stone Ages for decades and have no restraint in attacking civilians; has acquired them without any discussion and without anyone knowing.

And what's more they have the nerve to deny that they have them, even after Mordechai Vanunu, a former technicians published a truckload of photos showing nothing but enriching centrifuges, stores of plutonium and military reactors.

The complete double standard of this whole episode is what pisses me off.
It's no freakin' wonder Iran wants to pursue Nuclear Weapons, their democratically elected President Mossadegh was overthrown by the US for not licking their ass, they were invaded by Iraq with US backing, now American threatens military action and has hundred's of thousands of troops stationed next door in Iraq and Afghanistan, and they're seen as deranged lunatics for wanting to pursue Nuclear Weapons?
Right, what whackjobs! Trying to defend themselves from decades of US aggression against them!

What hypocrisies... and how exactly did America start it's Nuclear programme all those years ago?
It did the exact same thing. Rumors of a German programme under development sparked Project Manhattan, we would do the exact same thing in the same situation yet here we are threatening to attack Iran for standing up for themselves?

US Foreign Policy knows no consistency...

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
You will convert to Islam Godfather or die.

You see the difference? Do you realize that Iran is indeed an extremist radical Muslim society (at least those at the top are)?

Iran would do much more harm to the Middle East than Israel ever would.

A Nuclear Iran is a very scary proposition, for all countries in the Middle East, not just Israel.

Edit: Do you think Israel would just sit by and let Palastine keep doing Suicide bombings in Israel? Aren't those people killed by suicide bombs innocent too?

[edit on 6-5-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
All they need to do is give a period of notice and they can leave the NPT, legally.

Of course, the propagandists would have a field day with that, so I doubt Iran would do it.

They signed it freely they can leave it freely (with 90 days notice). It would be a propaganda coup if they left. It'd also be a propaganda coup if they don't and won't allow inspections to verify compliance. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't if they are bent on nuclear weapon development.
The benefit of staying in the treaty and allowing inspections and not developing nuclear weapons is they will receive aid and technology to apply towards nuclear energy which they state is their goal. It is extremely hard to buy nuclear fuel without being a signatory. That (and PR) is why they don't simply pull out.
I won't pretend to blame them for wanting nuclear weapons, and I certainly don't blame Iran's neighbors for not wanting to allow it.
I was just pointing out that by law, Israel is not a signatory so there would be no legal grounds to enforce inspections. It makes a difficult comparison for that reason.

EDIT to add: Israel as a non signatory does not receive the technology transfers from signatories. No one is willing to sell them the fuel needed to operate a reactor either. It is a major reason they do not have a nuclear plant up and running.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by _Del_]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

I agree DJ.

Very interesting move. I like to see how it plays out. As it is, Israel doesn't not want to publicly acknowledge they have the weapons so I am curious as to what their response to this would be.. If any.

- lee

+13 more 
posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
You will convert to Islam Godfather or die.

Right, because I don't support Israel I must be a raving fanatic?

The old "if your not with us your against us arguement" ey?

The same one the Nazis used too, I'm sure you would look up to them also..

You see the difference? Do you realize that Iran is indeed an extremist radical Muslim society (at least those at the top are)?

Yeah I see a difference alright.
Israel is a trigger-happy, aggressive nation looking to subdue it's Arab neighbors. Hell they've practically set up and apartheid in Israel and segregated every territory of theirs, not to mention offensively invaded Lebanon recently, meanwhile Iran is being threatened of invasion on facts that don't even exist.

Show me proof they are enriching Uranium for Nuclear weapons? Name some sources, some links...? Can't find any.
It's because at the moment the US is fixing it's intelligence around their plan, just they did with Iraq.

The threat is being blown out of proportion once again.
You have to cut through the Bush propaganda and see Iran for what it really is. A paper tiger. It's threat to international stability is being blown out of proportion just like with Iraq.

Where are all the WMD's Saddam had? Did we find anything?
No. Nada. Zip. Nothing.
Remember all those claims about Saddam being able to launch a chemical attack on the US in 45 minutes notice? How ridiculous does that sound now...?

Israel has been bombing Hezbollah into the stone age for over 2 decades now and has proven that they are openly hostile to their neighbors and see nothing short of total war as an acceptable Foreign Policy of dealing with them.

Iran would do much more harm to the Middle East than Israel ever would.
A Nuclear Iran is a very scary proposition, for all countries in the Middle East, not just Israel.

Well Iran HASN'T done any harm to the Middle East. That's the problem. They have to invade another nation, topple a regime or launch a Nuclear Attack.

I'll tell you the reason why Iran is a scary proposition for your beloved, Bush Admin is because they don't lick their ass and not afraid to show it.
The hawks are concerned Iran might try to privatize it's oil industry like they did in 1953 when President Mossadegh was in power.
And they can't have that because that would spoil all their oil revenue.

Guess what happened to Mossadegh? He got overthrown by the CIA and replaced with a pro-US puppet.
See any resemblance with Iraq there?

Edit: Do you think Israel would just sit by and let Palastine keep doing Suicide bombings in Israel? Aren't those people killed by suicide bombs innocent too?

Oh Okam so only Israel has a right to defend itself, but Iran can't?
Ahhhh I see, so only the countries that lick America's ass can have Nuclear Weapons..

Hmm maybe the Iranian's just don't see the up side of US Foreign Policy, as any time they claim somebody has WMD's it turns out to be utter bullsh*t.

OPEN YOUR MIND, and stop swallowing fascist propaganda, the US wants to install another sock puppet in Iran that will play by their rules. WMD's, Uranium, Terrorism they're all excuses, the same ones the US used in Iraq too.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Israels prime minister didn't profess that "Iran will be wiped off the face of the Earth".

Who made a similar statement, but about Israel (clue: he is the President of Iran)?

Iraq did have WMDs. They were cleared out months before the US arrived. They were shipped to Jordan by Locomotives provided by China. Even Iraq had an Exit Strategy with China and Russias help.

I am open minded and am against the NWO. The only problem though is - China is vying for NWO hemogany (I refer to as NWO Red), while the US has its version (NWO Blue).

The dynamic in the middle is the radical Islamic movement lead by Iran to dominate the Middle East.

China is building up Iran. We build up Israel. China builds up Pakistan, we build up India.

It is coming down to a battle between NWO Red and NWO Blue with the Islamic movement being used as a tool to control the Middle East.

+1 more 
posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

I hate it when people trot out excuses for the Israeli aggression in the middle east, such as "you want them just to let suicide bombers kill innocent people?".

Firstly, the terrorists are doing this for what many would say is a valid reason. Their land has been stolen off them for over 60 years. Their children are being killed by embargoes, bombings and snipers. I'd be pretty pissed off if someone carved up England and gave it to a group of immigrants.

Secondly, allowing for Israels existence, they should only have what was given to them in 1947. Thats about half of what they have now after stealing it off their neighbors. The illegal settlements in Palestine, the annexation of neighboring lands(illegal according to the UN charter), the refusal to give back land to Syria, Jordan and Lebanon. All of it illegal, but ignored by the West. But woe betide anyone who tries to stand up to Israel!

Lets not forget that without US support, Israel would be defunct and any state that cannot stand on it's own two feet is just a colony at best.

Thirdly, what kind of reaction to a terrorist bombing is going into another country and collectively punishing the entire population? Thats a war crime for starters. The UK never went into Ireland with tanks and planes to chase down the IRA, did they? So why should Israel be forgiven for leveling other countries because of a few terrorists? Do they not see that they are just perpetuating the cycle of violence?

EDIT: Oh yeah, since when has Iran said anything about wanting to convert anybody to Islam? Such rubbish being spouted here, it's no wonder I find myself coming back less and less. Iran has the largest ME Jewish population outside Israel and sizeable populations of many other religions.

[edit on 6/5/08 by stumason]

+1 more 
posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Israels prime minister didn't profess that "Iran will be wiped off the face of the Earth".

Who made a similar statement, but about Israel (clue: he is the President of Iran)?

No, he didn't. That has been debunked here about 500 times, yet people still trot it out as evidence.

Iraq did have WMDs. They were cleared out months before the US arrived. They were shipped to Jordan by Locomotives provided by China. Even Iraq had an Exit Strategy with China and Russias help.

It's Jordan now is it (a very pro-US country, by the way)? I've heard it was Syria. Oh, wait, it was Iran.... face it, there weren't any! If they were shipped and the US knows to where, why haven't they gone after them?

The dynamic in the middle is the radical Islamic movement lead by Iran to dominate the Middle East.

Radical Islam (Wahhabism) is actually centered in the Sunni country of Saudi Arabia, not the Shia country of Iran. You don't know much about Islam, do you? Iran was one of the first countries after 9/11 offering assistance and sympathy to the USA in capturing Al-Qaeda elements. This was ignored and later, Iran was labeled a member of the "Axis of Evil". Go figure.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
You are from England? Hmmmm .. Arab living in England?

Iran giving sympathy to US just after 9/11?
That must of been before Iran's current President took office i'm sure.

Bottom line, Iran is a bigger threat to the Middle East than any other ME nation at this time. It is because Iran's President is a Muslim radical hellbent on Israels destruction and Islamic rule through the ME.

The proof is out there, go find it.

+1 more 
posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

deny ignorance is the moto of this website - its time to shut up and learn;

first off an israeli minister did say they would wipe iran from the map (in retaliation for any attack on there country) secondly - do you actually know when and where the iranian president made the incorrect-but-swallowed-by-fox comment? obviously not or you wouldn`t have reitterated it.

last year it was syria , and so now its the US arms supplied jordan? brilliant - throw another dart to guess next time - the un themselves said there were no wmd`s , the US own inteligence pre 1991 and then again in 2003 said there were none , but you know don`t you.

China is building up Iran. We build up Israel. China builds up Pakistan, we build up India.

so , since india has hundreds of russian fighter jets. subs, ships, tanks - they must be being built up by the usa - and pakistan has F16`s - but they must be chinese.

*sigh* or you don`t know what your babbling on about and continue to make things up as you go along

have you ever heard of suuni and shia muslim? or are they just `rag heads` and just islam to you?

oh and what was said by iran over the attacks:

"On behalf of the Iranian government and the nation, I condemn the hijacking attempts and terrorist attacks on public centers in American cities which have killed a large number of innocent people," President Khatami said in reaction to the worst attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor. ... "My deep sympathy goes out to the American nation, particularly those who have suffered from the attacks and also the families of the victims," he said, noting, "terrorism is doomed and the international community should stem it and take effective measures in a bid to eradicate it." Khatami added that the Islamic Republic of Iran is treading a road to uproot terrorism and to this end, he noted, it will spare no efforts.

“Iranians Honor U.S. with Moment of Silence” (NY Post)

“Khatami Condemns ‘Terrorist’ Attacks on U.S. Targets (People’s Daily, Iran)

“US calls Iran’s response ‘positive’” (Economic Times)

“Terror attacks transform U.S. image in Iran’s media” (Gulf News)

“Powell sees hope in Iran, Syria response to attack” (Reuters)

“'Iran News’ deplores attacks on major US landmarks” (Iran News)

“Iran expresses rare sympathy for U.S. over attacks” (Reuters)

“Iran ayatollah says he is heart-broke over U.S. attack” (Gulf News)

“Iran seals Afghanistan border” (AP)

its sickens me that such an Islamaphobic hate-monger is posting in this thread.

Bottom line, Iran is a bigger threat to the Middle East than any other ME nation at this time. It is because Iran's President is a Muslim radical hellbent on Israels destruction and Islamic rule through the ME.

no , the `bottom line` is that the biggest threat to the ME is the radicals in israel , the people in israel are sick of the brain washing over many years the zionists have pushed on them - christians are treated poorly and the many thousands of followers of judaism around the world condemn the actions of the zionists in israel.

[edit on 6/5/08 by Harlequin]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   

You are from England? Hmmmm .. Arab living in England?

Er, no. Firstly, why would an Arab in England have an avatar saying "Proud Englishman" and "always loyal"?.

English through and through, chap.

Yes indeed. And do you know why Iran elected the current President? because of constant US belligerence causing the Iranian electorate to vote for the hard liner, as they saw him as capable of standing up to the west. Go learn current events.

Show me. Go on, show me. If the proof is there for your argument, then the onus is on YOU] to provide it, not for me to find it.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

You know that didn't happen. Israel did threaten Iran with complete destruction though.

Jordan is the strongest US Ally in the region, has been at peace with Israel for years and doesn't have a rail link to Iraq.

Could you maybe list those countries? Would it include Afghanistan where Iran helped oust the Taliban? Iraq where they just welcomed the Iranian President with open arms and a red carpet? Lebanon where Hezbolla holds seats in government and has Iran's support? Palestine where Iran supports the elected government of Hamas? Syria that has a mutual defense pact with Iran? Hmm.. the list of trmbling nations is getting a little short dontcha think?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
www.presstv.ir...

The Majlis Deputy for Iran's Jewish Community has called on followers of all religions to vigilantly confront acts of religious sacrilege.

"It is a logical principle in today's world to respect the rights of other nations and observe the red lines of all religions," Morris Mo'tamed told Mehr News Agency

you know who he is? that man is the jewish MP in iran - the elected MP , for the jewish community - the same jewish community who are `mortally insulted` by israel and the repeated offers of money to leave there homes.
there are many other religions represented in the Majlis of Iran and not just muslim.

how many islamic mp`s are there in the knesset?

sorry for off topic

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join