It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide: Punishable by GOD! Yes or No?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Hello all. jedimiller here. Back for a moment.

When My mother died couple of weeks ago. I was in school driving back and I called my sister to ask how my Mother was doing at the hospital. She said, "My Mom died today, please get over here". I could not believe it. And as I drove my car I thought about taking the car for a spin off the freeway bridge and just killing myself.

I am a christian, So I don't want to make GOD angry by doing something stupid like that. Still today, I think, "Why should I keep on living?" you know what I mean? you wonder why GOD let you down. I know it's wrong to talk about such an emotional subject and I know I'm known for being the comedian around, but this time I wanted to get serious responses. Now, I am not promoting this act of shame, but I just wonder if many of you have pondered commiting a suicidal act? I know we are all human and we must have weaknesses and one of those is doing harm to one self. Now, don't worry I'm not going to do it, just expressing my ideologies about how GOD would get angry at me or you if you did that to yourself. and what could be the consequences. May god bless you.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I asked a similar question about a year ago when i was in a VERY dark place. Have a read through the thread, there was some good conversation and ideas taking place within it.

As a Christian or Human... What is the point in living?

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Sometimes more potent, sometimes determined, sometimes just out of habit.

What's stopped me is fear of things being worse in the afterlife, fear of aimlessly wandering in a dry lonely hell. Also, hope is huge, hope and a future give you meaning to live. Find that meaning I say, make it your life. Of course, when we block these truths and ignore them, suicide is much easier to consider. When we come into a narrow state of mind, a state of ignorance and concentration solely focused (subconsciously or more outright) on destruction, we can easily make terrible mistakes. A pit of unbearable pain which can be experienced through suppressed urges or more physically, a pulsating mental cauldron of suffering.

I try not to externalize god, and say that if I was to kill myself then I would have put myself in this mental hell, not god.

[edit on 6/5/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Now,whilst i don't subscribe to your beliefs,I can theorise that a God wouldn't be angry at someone who commits suicide. Sad,yes. As someone who is so desperate that they feel they have to end it,has gone through a long time of mental termoil and torment. And that's a very sad way to end up.Thinking that the world,and everyone on it,will be better off without you. In that mind set,it's the ultimate sacrifice.(ie,not selfish as some people try to say) I can't see people ending up in eternal damnation,for a death which is effectivly caused by an illness.

(ps,glad you decided to not drive over that bridge)

To answer your other question "what's the point in living" Well,there is no point as such IMO. But you can sure get alot out of life be being alive,you can't do that if you're not here. So much beeauty in this world,sometimes you need to take a step back to truly appreciate it.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Well, it's self-murder.
Would anyone want to meet Jesus that way? Especially a Christian, who knows the truth?
A non-saved person will not go to heaven, no matter how they die. (If they don't ask Jesus to forgive them.)

[edit on 6-5-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Im bored so I am going to respond to this...

There is a natural order to our existance. If one were to disrupt that order the consiquences could be dire. In the instance that someone were to commit suicide the soul having not completed it's function on this level of existance possibly could not move on to the next level.

The entrapment of the soul on this plane without a vessel could be torturous for the entity. This could in fact produce what we among the living refer to as ghosts or what could be construed by people as someone going to hell.

Is this a punnishment by god? Well no. It's just the way it would work out. You would be stuck in this elemental plane of existance With no corporial body the soul would drift in this existance with no means by which to act on it's environment.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I have thought of it!

I tend to stay on the depressed side!

I really feel that nothing will ever make me happy!

I am hopeless!

Today is not my day!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   

sorry to hear of your loss jedi and that this grieved you to the point of contemplating suicide.as far as i know suicide is a sin that can be forgiven by G-D-------the only sin that can't be forgiven is to reject the leading of the holy spirit when you know better-----and live a life of continuous willful sinning.

i cannot judge individual cases and am not advocating suicide as a way out of the "hell" that we and our society creates for us to live in--------all i know is that a real christian has no need to fear death because they will be resurrected as a son of G-D when Messiah returns while those that were not real christians will be resurrected to life as a physical human again(ezekiel37)
of these physical humans (those that died in ignorance) of why they were created----they will live 100 years on an earth that has been turned into the garden of paradise ,the same as adam and eve lived in ,but those resurrected humans that knew why we were created and (rejected that calling) from G-D to overcome the temptations to sin for their entire past lives till they died when they knew what the penalty would be-----will be cast into a lake of fire and never live again after that 2nd death(revelation20)
these are those individuals that knowingly rejected their call to repenance and G-D knows who these ones are as per example Messiah said that it would have been better if a certain individual had not been born? (matthew26:24)

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I am not christian, muslim or anything, but I think about life and I have read several different materials.
To think that there is spirit in life means precisely, that there is a point in living.
In my life, as in others, I will go through different states. There can exist excitement, a feeling of connectedness or self-satisfaction, while at other times, it may seem like life is kicking you in the ass and you start longing for the hereafter.
By commiting suicide you are denying that your life has a purpose. You are denying the existance itself, wich means that you are denying God, since “God” means “everything”. Most of all, you are denying yourself.
What happens if you commit suicide? There is no judgement, there is no damnation. You will return to Earth, as another person, in another body, and will be put in the same situation wich lead you to end your life before.
My advice is: stop thinking that you are less than others or that your life is less worthy. All life is incredibly important. The only challenge that there can be is seeing it.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Suicide is murder of oneself. Murder is a vile sin. Those who commit suicide (or any other form of murder) end up in the Abyss.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Hi Jedi Miller. I am sorry to hear about your Mom, and I hope everyone in your family is ok.

I thought the MIB had made off with you for a few days!

As to your question about suicide, my thoughts are that it is punishable if you do it for selfish reasons, with exceptions. If a person has a terminal illness and is in a lot of pain, I would hope that if they choose to leave sooner than death would bring, that it would be excusable.

If a person is insane and has no idea what they are doing at the time, I would hope that God would have more compassion in a situation like this, also.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I don't believe God to be a punisher. God made us and understands how difficult life can be. He also understands that some people are just put together different. Some can handle what life throws at them better than others......

Like the whole Christian nonsense about the chosen people being "saved." God doesn't reward some and punish others. He doesn't reward Christians because they think they know it all and He doesn't punish them for it either.

God made us what we are. He gave us the ability to think for ourselves. Or at least some of us can think for ourselves and others have had too much Kool-Aid.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
First off, I'm sorry for your loss, and glad you decided against taking the fast lane to eternity.

Is suicide an unforgivable sin, punishable by God? According to some, yes. According to a very nice man, who happens to be an ordained minister, there are very few sins that are unforgivable. I suppose it would depend upon the reason one would do such a thing. Constant unremitting pain, whether spiritual or physical, would be forgivable, IMHO...my own view is nothing is that bad, and there is always hope for tommorrow, and the day after that.

The trick, I suppose, is finding a reason to keep on going.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Jedi sorry to hear of your loss. If we are to mature we will certainly face the death of our parents. I lost my father a couple years ago. My thoughts on suicide are that it is a sin. It is discarding the greatest gift God ever gave you, your life. Who are we to tell God we have out lived our usefulness? He can take your greatest pain and turn into a strength. That is his specialty. That being said, I believe the enemy is clever enough to have convinced saved Christians into committing suicide. Surely, the cross is big enough to cover any sin including suicide.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
philosophically, i'm not sure what the answer to that question would be.

i mean, i guess since we'll just postulate that god here is an omnipotent being, i'd say yes

but that's mainly because an omnipotent being can do whatever the dickens it wants to do because it's an omnipotent being.

it could punish people for petting a cat or eating cake. it's just that arbitrary if it wants to be.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Murder!
To kill ones own kind?!

What of the slaughter of countless animals, whom we breed for our cheese burgers.

These are the questions I pose for "the book" which so many believe valid.

I don't believe in the Bible. Could have been written by druks for all I know.
-----------
Suicide!
A sin to end ones own physical life! Can't really see it being a sin if you're in pain. Supposedly depression is a disease?!
Well then, take it all of humanity is "diseased".
Heh.
If only not caring was as easy as people make it sound. That would be swell, atleast, I think so. Wouldn't have to put up with this crap anymore.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Hi Jedimiller,

My condolences on the passing of your mother.

The answer to your question on suicide is found in the mounting anecdotal evidence within past-life regression research.

For example, there is the story of the American prisoner of war at a Japanese concentration camp during World War II. The Allies were advancing and the Japanese soldiers knew that they would soon be overrun. Consequently, they decided to start murdering the American POW's before they could be rescued.

At least one of those POW's realized what was happening and chose to eat ground glass before the Japanese soldiers had the pleasure of killing him.

In the Spirit after his death, an angelic being appeared and said that he would not suffer from having committed suicide but that those who abused him would suffer later on.

This and similar stories are all learned from past-life regression sessions that addressed the Interlife or period in-between incarnations when the absolute truth is much more accessible than it is in the flesh.

There are many other examples. Like when someone goes into a burning building to save children and dies in the process. Or when a soldier throws himself onto a live hand grenade in order to save a buddy. In both situations, the acts were noble, not selfish, and there was no punishment involved on the Other Side.

It all boil down to this:

If you commit suicide because you are trying to escape a situation that you would otherwise be able to overcome if you just stayed in your body and worked things out, then yes, there is a punishment involved. But that punishment does not come from a Space God or lesser god but rather from the frustration of cutting a life short that still had spiritual and creative potential.

John Edward is a Christian (Catholic). He is also a well-known medium who connects people to departed loved ones.

If you find that you cannot re-connect with your mother and have an After Death Communication (ADC) with her, seek out a Christian medium like John Edward in order to do so.

Then the pain of her passing will not hurt so much.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by Paul_Richard]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Oh please! John Edward is a two bit scumbag huckster who preys on the grieving. The Skeptical Enquirer article, "John Edward: Hustling the Bereaved", goes into detail about how Edward pulls off his act, but this instance of Edward plainly deceiving an audience sticks out as the worst. This occurred during the taping of a segment on Edward that appeared on Dateline NBC. Writer Joe Nickell writes,

Be that as it may, on Dateline Edward was actually caught in an attempt to pass off previously gained knowledge as spirit revelation. During the session he said of the spirits, "They're telling me to acknowledge Anthony," and when the cameraman signaled that was his name, Edward seemed surprised, asking "That's you? Really?" He further queried: "Had you not seen Dad before he passed? Had you either been away or been distanced?" Later, playing the taped segment for me, Dateline reporter John Hockenberry challenged me with Edward's apparent hit: "He got Anthony. That's pretty good." I agreed but added, "We've seen mediums who mill about before sessions and greet people and chat with them and pick up things."

Indeed, it turned out that that is just what Edward had done. Hours before the group reading, Tony had been the cameraman on another Edward shoot (recording him at his hobby, ballroom dancing). Significantly, the two men had chatted and Edward had obtained useful bits of information that he afterward pretended had come from the spirits.

Nickell informed Hockenberry who then grilled Edward about it,

HOCKENBERRY: So were you aware that his dad had died before you did his reading?

Mr. EDWARD: I think he-I think earlier in the-in the day, he had said something.

HOCKENBERRY: It makes me feel like, you know, that that's fairly significant. I mean, you knew that he had a dead relative and you knew it was the dad.

Mr. EDWARD: OK.
John Edward Hustling the Bereaved

In my opinion, He is the worst kind of con man imaginable.:shk:

[edit on 5/7/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Oh please

The source you quote is not at all reliable or objective. They live in a black and white, materialistic Universe and are terrified of all that goes bump in the night. To them, all mediums and psychics are fakes. They have absolutely no examples of credible intuitives or mediums and I'd be willing to bet that you don't have any either.

In light of this, and in judging those who seek discarnate communication (to find a good human telephone and counselor), one really has to rely on references. Are people truly helped by them with valid information or are they not? This is the key question to be asked.

That objective appraisal, and not one based on prejudice, is how one goes about finding a credible medium/intuitive.

And yes...they do exist

Looking for a genuinely gifted psychic medium like the famous John Edward, Sylvia Browne, George Anderson or James Van Praagh, but don't know who to call? This "Genuine & Legitimate Psychic Mediums List" presents the top psychic mediums who gave Bob Olson readings that made his head spin. We can't promise that you'll have the same experience Bob did. But if you do, your life will never be the same.

BestPsychicMediums.com

There are other sources.

Ask around.

Do a search.

Perform a thorough personal investigation

Not all of them are a scam.

Many have been very helpful to people, and will continue to be so.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by Paul_Richard]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
sympathies...

everytime I think bout suicide I cant help but think bout my family and how much they would be hurt, I would never want to hurt my mom or dad like that cause I know they have tried to provide me with the best they could...and how my siblings would be hurt and how christmas dinner would never be the same etc...

Everything we do somehow benefits us rather it be physically or emotionally. So therefore we can say that everything we do is selfish. Now that we have that established we can then say that suicide is the ultimate selfish act and therefore probably not the best route.

"death is within"-written on a underpass near my fav disc golf course.

although when I was a kid I often (grew up catholic) would wonder if I killed myself and when at the gates just told god "hey i loved you so much i just wanted to be here".....and thats when I got detention while in religion class.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join