It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12,000 children in China now have deadly virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

12,000 children in China now have deadly virus

www.msnbc.msn.com

BEIJING - China reported a jump Monday in the number of children sickened with hand, foot and mouth disease, saying more than 11,900 cases have been reported.

At least 24 deaths in the central province of Anhui and Guangdong province in the south have been blamed on enterovirus 71, one of several viruses that cause the disease, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Well, this seems to be getting worse, really quick. Just in time for the olympics, as some here have said...

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't understand the title of this thread. The MSNBC story you linked to reports that here is no vaccine or specific treatment, but most children affected by mild forms of the disease typically recover quickly without problems.

Why is this considered the deadly form?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Probably Tuebor because it has the potential to be fatal. 12k now. Quite the jump.
Today enterovirus, tomorrow Captain Tripps.
Bring out your dead.....
I feel fine really, just the sniffles....

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
This information is coming from China's official state media so you know it's been rolled around in the sugar several times to make things sound better than they really are. I have to wonder what multiplier one should apply to that 12,000 cases figure, let alone the number of official deaths. One thing for sure, in 72 hours this has gone from somewhat serious to exponentially increasing as far as the number of cases goes.

Just one more nail in the coffin of the 2008 summer games. (I'm among the increasing number of people who expect these games will be heavily boycotted at the least, possibly even canceled outright. It was a bad idea to give Beijing the games in the first place.)

Props to the dude with the Captain Tripps comment.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
One more ringer for John Titor. Hope he did what he needed to do with that old IBM. His prophesies are becoming uncanny and unsettling.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Please compare the official Chinese news with the MSNBC.

news.xinhuanet.com...

BEIJING, May 5 (Xinhua) -- The number of hand-foot-mouth disease (HFMD) cases reported in China this year has risen to 11,905 by Monday, resulting in 26 deaths, according to Xinhua counting of local official figures.

Tang Xiaoping, an epidemic expert and deputy head of the health bureau of Guangzhou, said the drastic rise is a result of an order by the Ministry of Health on Friday, which classifies HFMD as a C class epidemic that must be reported to the ministry.

While on MSNBC the real reason for the huge jump in "infected" cases is somewhere hidden in the middle of the article. Talking about creating sensation, careless readers will miss it like that.

Nonetheless this is not good news for the public health, and my condolensces to the young victims.

However, you could interpret the statistics and the seriousness in two different way. One treat it as the next SARS virus, but it seems like this is not the case at all, you should treat it with care though and that's why the stricter classifcation. Or see how China is developing and how certain (sensitive) topics are becoming more open and transparant.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
won't the Chinese be suppressing and understating the statistics so it doesn't cause them international 'embarrassment'. just like they suppressed the Tibet incident by not allowing foreign journalists to enter Tibet.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
Please compare the official Chinese news with the MSNBC.

Still shilling for the communist oppressers I see.

Originally posted by purplemonkey
won't the Chinese be suppressing and understating the statistics ... just like they suppressed the Tibet incident ....

Yes. Very good point. China wasn't exactly (and still isn't) truthful about Tibet. The obvsiously aren't truthful about much of anything. The Communist Chinese Government can't be trusted to give credible information. It just says what it wants people to know, or what they can't possibly try to cover up anylonger.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I agree with the above posts. The eyes of the world are on China given the pending Olympics. It will be very interesting to see how China manages this juggling act once the opening ceremony has commenced and the worlds media is gathered in Beijing. Honestly, I hope it all unravels and it turns into a media feeding frenzy. China has tried to downplay and cover-up way too much lately and I feel it is only a matter of time before everything goes pear-shaped.

new topics

top topics

join