It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Da Vinci Code

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm sure this has been discussed but since I'm new, forgive me for bringing it up again. What were your thoughts on The DaVinci Code? I loved it and need to read it again since I'm finding out more about the Illuminatis.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I gave it 2.5 out of a possible 5 stars. The plot was a little too formulistic and predicable for me.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I was just facinated with all the DaVinci art. Made want to have a book with his paintings at my side while I read it.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Three snaps in a Z formation!

(was going to explain, but someone will get it)

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Forgive me - is that good or bad?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I didn't read TDC, but I did just finish *Holy Blood, Holy Grail*, which TDC was in part based on..

I must say that I was underwhelmed by the book. There *is* a mystery there, but to get it connected all the way back to Jesus they had to fudge some problems.

I have no doubt that there were secret societies that believed these things, but they seem to have caught the bug somewhere in the 200s, when gnoticism was being squashed as heresy..

One thing you need to know about gnosticism.. most of the sects considered the truth of a story unimportant if the story told a greater "truth" within.. you can read some of the orthodox church fathers on that point.. let me get a quote:

Iranaeus says that the gnostics "put forth their own compositions, while boasting that they have more gospels than there really are..." And this is an accurate charge, since producing creative works was considered by the gnostics as a sign that one had received the wisdom. (All this gleaned from Elaine Pagels *The Gnostic Gospels*) To Iranaeus, the gnostics would have said, "So?"

One of their gospels had the story of Christ's "substitute" dying on the cross while Christ himself laughs.. but this was intended to be a metaphorical truth in the beginning. You had to see that Jesus was *not* his body, nor are any of us. We are spirit. In this sense, Jesus (the spirit) mocks Jesus' body.

This ran counter to the idea in Judaism (which sect was that.. Pharisee? Sadducee? I forget..) that there is not a spirit, only the body (and thus, requiring a bodily resurrection).

The gnostics considered the body evil, along with all the rest of material creation. This is why they could both spit upon the cross, and revere Jesus who died on it (for in letting his body die, he showed us.. etc. etc.) Well of course that's heresy, even if some of it is still resident in mainline Christianity today. And it was vigorously stomped into the ground by the Orthodox establishment. So it went underground.

The gnostics were already keepers of secret knowledge. They only had to be a little more secret after the smack-down. And more than likely, this is where the events in *The Da Vinci Code* point. Right back to ordinary gnosticism.

Besides, Jesus can't be buried in France, India, and Japan all at once (all of them claimants believe it or not!). The myth that he survived the crucifiction arose from the gnostics, but they didn't really mean it.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I liked it very much. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. I even read while cooking. I just had to know what was happening next. I must say some of the theories were a little predictable, but that's only because I had read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" a couple of years ago. Even though some of the facts Brown used might not be accurate, he did manage to create a great detective/mystery story that I enjoyed immensely. He came up with great clues, anagrams and other cyphers (which is why I bought the book in the first place).

Anyone interested in puzzles and this book should check this quiz. It shows you some hidden puzzles on the cover of the book.

One more interesting thing I noticed, was the character Leigh Teabing. As Sidhe mentioned, "The Da Vinci Code" is mostly based on ""Holy Blood, Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln. Anyone can see that Brown used the surname of one of the authors for his character, but if you look more carefully at this characters' surname, you will notice that Teabing is an anagram of Baigent.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
After hearing so many rave reviews over the last few months I think I am going to give it a read.

However... for future reference... this forum is for conspiracies and this thread probably would have done better at BelowTopSecret in the Literature forum.. I know it is not super active right now.. but if we don't start posting our literature topics there... it never will be.

posted on Mar, 1 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ok. I just finished reading the book today and all that I can say is wow. This was one amazing book. Was Angels and demons like this with the same charaters and all? I just couldn'r put the book down. There was a lot of religious questioning. I know that it's a fictional book but man it makes you think. I would suggest this book to anyone looking for a good read.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Angels and Demons starred Robert Langdon also, and it was a great book. Ive said many times before on ATS that it's one of my favorite books, definately a must read if you enjoyed The DaVinci Code.

It's also being made into a movie for 2005, directed by Ron Howard. Theres info floating around the net about who will play the main characters. I think it'd make a good thriller/mistery movie.

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by Faisca]

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hey alrite

i have just finished reading 'angels and demons' and thought it was great in my opinion.

and have now started reading The Da Vinci Code'

and thanks for the info Faisca about it getting made into a movie, hope it turns out well

rynaldo

MC

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I loved the book too! Even though it's fiction based on some facts, I still found it very interesting. Loved all the codes, cryptexes, etc. I just started reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail just to see what it had to say about the whole subject. Pretty interesting so far!

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cadmium
One more interesting thing I noticed, was the character Leigh Teabing. As Sidhe mentioned, "The Da Vinci Code" is mostly based on ""Holy Blood, Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln. Anyone can see that Brown used the surname of one of the authors for his character, but if you look more carefully at this characters' surname, you will notice that Teabing is an anagram of Baigent.

hehe, well noticed

thats me just finished reading it and i thought it was good, good charachters i thought. i have heard of the holy blood holy grail so i think i will give that a read sometime, but i got stephen kings 'the dreamcathchers' i think its called and want to read Browns Digital Fortress

rynaldo

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   

very funny, miss thing. -"a sporty fella"

*back on topic*
i bought the unabridged version on cd (13). but then i saw the book itself with all the pics in it and i was sad i didnt read it instead. very good. -j; )

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I havent read it yet but plan to do so. I hear that the Catholic Church are not too pleased with it. The sequal is supposed to delve even deeper into the origins of the Iluminati.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I am reading the Da Vinci code right now, and so far it is a kick a$$ book! For all of you people who read it, notice my user name? lol

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   

You can't get any better than "3 snaps in a Z formation" ... ha ha ha ...

Good call Damon Wayans.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
If you liked The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons then I highly recommend you read Brimstone by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Draconian Devil, hehe....cute reference...

Thank you...Men on Books....

So far, it's a great read...about half through it....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join