It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds Number of Fat Cells Doesn't Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Study Finds Number of Fat Cells Doesn't Change

www.nytimes.com

“This is a new way of looking at obesity,” said Dr. Lester Salans, an obesity researcher and emeritus professor at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
Every year, whether you are fat or thin, whether you lose weight or gain, 10 percent of your fat cells die. And every year, those cells that die are replaced with new fat cells, researchers in Sweden reported Sunday.
The result is that the total number of fat cells in the body remains the same, year after year throughout adulthood. Losing or gaining weight affects only the amount of fat stored in the cells, not the number of cells.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

[edit on 5-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I actually find this interesting. As we all know, there are many industries that have proven Science is not there master, profit is. So what happens to the BILLIONs of dollars committed to this epidemic, once a pill comes out that eliminates your fat cells altogether. This could conceivably be a HUGE jump in a lot of fields. But what of the tied up and hostage FDA?

So question, what happens when we trim the fat?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Not to mention that you could then go into areas of the world are having plight, and help them to store up for winter? No more malnutrition? Eating disorders?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I remember learning this back in high school a bunch of years ago! Why are they reporting this as a new finding?

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I'm not sure, as I just read it in the NYT today.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I know. I was just saying (not about your thread, but about the article.) Unless I'm hallucinating I clearly remember being taught that about fat cells many years ago. The Mt. Sinai Research via 'the online journal Nature' seems to be presenting that as 'news.'

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Same here, to include several years training and work in USAF dietetics [Wilford Hall]. On the whole, the overall "count" remains the same; the fat cells just shrink, grow, expand, etc.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I remember learning this back in high school a bunch of years ago! Why are they reporting this as a new finding?

Yeah, I was just wondering that myself. I was taught this in High School myself... whats with it being reported as a new finding?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I wonder if this is just shoddy attribution on the part of Nature or something less 'innocent' on the part of Mt. Sinai, maybe they need the exposure?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I don't think eliminating fat cells "all together" is a very good idea.

new topics

top topics

join