It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Agency Declares West Coast Salmon Fishery A Disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Federal Agency Declares West Coast Salmon Fishery A Disaster

www.cbsnews.com

The declaration Thursday stems from the sudden collapse of the chinook salmon run in California's Sacramento River, where the salmon return to spawn. Scientists are studying the causes of the collapse, with possible factors ranging from ocean conditions and habitat destruction to dam operations and agricultural pollution.

Only 60,000 chinook are expected to return to the river this fall, about a third of the minimum set by fisheries managers for spawning the next generation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
In 2002, 775,000 chinook salmon returned to the Sacramento River to spawn. That is a decrease of nearly 93%. Its catastrophic, and indicative of the dire straits the West Coast salmon fishery is in.

I don't know if the Sacramento River salmon run can recover from this.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I can only hope that life will find a way. I suppose this is not an issue of of the life cycle of the salmon, which I think could be determined from the few remaining animals. If this turns out to be more Monsanto related chemical effects they should finally outlaw the corporation and its products.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Bee's disappearing, fish, now I'm hearing Bat's are dying in droves. We are facing tough times ahead. The loss of the bee's will affect pollination of food, bat's keep bug's under control, and of course fish is food. Famine has already begun. We had better get a grip on what's happening, FAST!

I also heard that Wheat Rust is threatening the wheat. Course we already know about rice. Well, back to the Garden.

apc

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

The states' governors, who requested the declaration, have estimated that those losses rise to $290 million as they ripple through the economy. California is seeking $208 million in disaster aid, Oregon $45 million and Washington $36 million.

... Fishing cutbacks in 2006 because of the collapse of chinook run in the Klamath River, which straddles the Oregon-California line, caused a drop in catch value estimated at $16 million. Congress appropriated $60 million in disaster assistance that was distributed last year.

OK this is just ridiculous. An industry has poor harvests and suddenly millions of tax dollars are sent to make sure the consequences of an industry dependence are not felt? If fish prices skyrocket because of harvest losses, fewer people eat fish! If the companies fail, sucks to be in the fishing business!

Of course throwing money at it is the government solution. $16 million loss... that'll take $60 million to fix! Almost a quarter billion to California because they can't bare to feel the slightest twinge of pain from an industry gone bad. What will these states want next year if this trend continues? A sippy cup?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm at a loss for words
Just one...Why? . Why is this disaster happening?
At one time salmon provided breakfast, lunch and dinner for families in Oregon. Now they're in danger of extinction. It is like the buffalo.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Yeah, add the cost of the disaster relief to the continuing collapse of the fishery, and you really start to see the scope of the disaster unfold. Unfortunately, it looks like this scenario is starting to be the rule rather than the exception as "the world moves on." (in the immortal words of Roland Deschain)

Man can only crap in his messkit for so long before the consequences start to set in.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
it's ok people. They are exterminating those rogue sea lions at the oregon dam. All will be well. Bats, bees, fish. What's next? There has to be some deep underlying connection to all these mass kill events. The sooner it is isolated the better. Too bad all those biophysicists went dead a few years back all at once. Bet they could really help here now. NOT that I'm a conspiriacy theorist or anything.

apc

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Man can only crap in his messkit for so long before the consequences start to set in.

I just wish people would take the consequences and all the pain that comes with them instead of trying to use government to be the everlasting protector. If the fishing industry collapses and it's all because a few companies produce excess pollution, the dependent economy surrounding them will die with the industry causing the problematic companies to fail as well. It would suck at first... it would suck a lot. But life sucks sometimes. That's how nature restores balance, and we are certainly not immune to her forces.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

I understand your perspective, and I don't disagree. Government intervention to prop up failing fisheries, or any other industry, for that matter, only prolongs the inevitable, delaying consequences not eliminating them. Unless the setback is temporary and there is legitimate hope for recovery, it is a waste of time and money.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This will not only effect the fishing industries, but the tourism trade along the west coast as well. I see the unemployment figures going up, and a lot of people needing job re-training to help sustain them until something can be done to correct the situation.

This is a bad blow to the economy, especially now.

new topics

top topics

join