It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
You're right about pride being a weakness. I could've have probably got out of it all a lot sooner if I had known how to swallow mine. I'm not saying I was proud of living in a hole or eating out of dumpsters, but I didn't have to ask anyone for anything, and I could keep what dignity I still had left for a bit longer. I accepted help when I had no other choice. The officer I spoke of gave me only one option, and I didn't like it at all. I thank him for it now.
Originally posted by devildogUSMC
Pride is a weakness though. Have you not had so much pride, your situation may have been drastically different. How much pride can you have living in a hole and eating out of dumpsters anyway. That isn't a shot at you either, I just don't understand. Anyway, nice thread.
That's a fact. No matter how comfortable my hole was, I still prefers houses.
Originally posted by devildogUSMC
reply to post by LLoyd45
Hey you live and you learn. One upside to your situation though, however bad your situation gets, the better you feel when you get back up. You learn to appreciate things more, small stuff like curtains and blankets, a sink, a washing machine. How wonderful you must feel now. It's probable that you feel the same as you would feel had you hit the lottery in life where you never lived in a hole.
It's not a lie, but a few well-placed connections won't hurt either.
Originally posted by sarcastic
Our counselors tell us education is the key to a good job. What you're saying is, that's a lie.
I hope you have more options available to you than that. Military service and drug use are personal choices. I've never been in the military, but as Mr. Mackey says on South Park: Drugs are bad..M'kay
So now what? What's after high school? Looks like I can choose between slavery and homelessness eh? How about emigration? Cannon fodder? Drug dependency?
That's too bad. Maybe you and he can find a hoby you can both do, or set aside one day a week just for you guys to talk, or share some quality time together..
My dad works hard all the time I never get to see him. That's not right either.
I hope so.
There has got to be a way out of this SLIME.
Originally posted by LLoyd45
- Mind your own business. Nothing will cause you more problems than sticking your nose in where it doesn't belong.
- Blend in with your surroundings. Try to dress like those around you. If you look like you have more than they do, they'll try to take it.
- Don't look for trouble, but defend yourself if necessary. Street people have an uncanny ability to sense fear and vulnerability in others. Walk tall, but not too tall. If you act like a victim, you'll be one.
- Never show your money or other valuables. Keep watches, rings, bracelets, etc. in your pocket, and out of sight. Keep your cash in various locations so if you do get mugged, you don't lose it all. Barter for needed items rather than use money.
- Avoid the police. There are some nice cops out there, and then there are those who are not so nice. If stopped, be polite and courteous. Nothing will get you locked up, or your butt kicked faster than being a smart-ss! To the latter category you're a non-person, and for all intents and purposes you are. Nobody will care what happens to you.
[edit on 5/5/08 by LLoyd45]
Originally posted by Glorious_Ruler
There's no clean water in the woods. It's very dangerous to drink it straight. Is there a method to this or is it ok (to drink it straight)?