It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are people paid to "steer public opinion on ATS"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Before I begin, let me first state that if you cannot handle mature discussion or cannot post without being mostly unbiased, leave the thread. I am so sick of threads getting derailed by such trivial matters that have nothing to do with the topic of discussion, and I am also sick of people who go into threads, think they know everything, be all "shut up ur wrong LOL
", and do nothing other than irritate.

Lately, I have noticed that threads on ATS have been...different from what they used to be. Instead of seeing coherent conversations going on, I keep seeing people saying things that are completely irrelevant or just downright illogical. Now, I'm not saying that ATS isn't still "good". If I were to compare ATS in terms of material quality, a year ago, ATS would have been at 97%, and now they are at 85%. Granted, most of ATS is still pretty good, but the decrease in decent threads has been noticeable. I also keep seeing many rehashes of old topics being brought up as if they were new. I mean, it's fine if you're going to rehash an old topic, since there are MANY old topics worth discussing over and over again, but it bothers me when people do this and treat it as if it was something new without giving credit to the original threads that existed. I could also go on about how I think the flagging/staring system needs to be made public so that we could actually SEE who is flagging/staring threads, but I'll save that for another time.

Basically, my opinion (uh oh, I have an opinion! better get the debunking engines ready.) is that there are some members on ATS that are being swayed and/or paid to influence public opinion. I don't mean just stating what you think, because every single person on ATS affects public opinion, but I believe some people are constantly enforcing a certain idea for some reason. What is the reason? I'm not sure, but there has to be one. Could they be doing it for lulz, or is there some government organization making sure certain things are believed in a certain way?

This forum is called ATS - -Above Top Secret. Any and EVERY member has the right to believe whatever he or she wants to believe. If the administration believes the opinion to be fraudulent, they can move it to Skunkworks or where ever they desire until the opinion is further backed up or believed. This is a conspiracy site -- so why am I constantly seeing people calling other people "crazy", or that their opinions are "unbelievable"? Isn't this what this site is all about? Aren't we supposed to question everything? If we don't ask questions, how will we ever know the true answers?

So with that being said, it is my opinion that there are some members on ATS who are paid to influence public opinion. I have had this believe long before I heard it said by John Lear in that four hour interview (this topic is not about John Lear so don't you dare try to turn it into that), I just decided to finally make the topic after hearing it.

And in case I haven't said it enough already, the topic of discussion is just what I said it is. Don't try to derail my topic with minuscule things that have little or nothing to do with it. Just discuss the topic, put in your own thoughts, etc.; that's all I ask.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If you're asking "are shills real?", then the answer is most definitely yes. Is every member that's shill-like an honest to God shill, no, but there's definitely organized topic derailing and organized ideology pushing going on IMO.

Comes with the territory I guess.

Peace

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well, there is only one thing I can say that links to your post.

In my opinion having been on ATS for a little while, if your influenced by some of the posts on this or ANY website you need to seriously start doing your own research and thinking. This is a PRIME example of why people/society these days is really dumbed down and common sense has been replaced with influence.

People listen to the media, read the paper, and now surf the net for ALL of there common knowledge. Most never research or THINK..they just go with the majority. If someone reads an article, then a blog, then comes to ATS and reads it here...IT MUST BE FACT/TRUE....WRONG!!

So what if someone is paid to try and polute the site or articles, etc....if YOU have your own mind and are willing to do a little leg work...YOU can find out for yourself what the truth is..no matter what others write or say.

Bottom line...ATS and other sites along with media outlets are, or should be, nothing more than places to get A SIDE of a story..not the whole story. We as people need to stop IMO basing our life, facts, needs, and wants off of what EVERYONE else is saying or telling us. If these sources of information provide sources and can provide solid evidence, etc...;then fine....but WAY to many people take everything as FACT...and don't or can't think for themselves...and THAT...THAT is the most dangerous thing that could ever happen!

[edit on 5/5/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Id like to ditto rcwj75

Im not sure it would matter. It does not matter to me.

I am responsible for the things I choose to believe or not believe. I am responsible for doing research and decideing for MYSELF what I believe or dont believe. I am responsible for my own actions. I am responsible for where I choose to participate.

And if there are paid people here posting....will someone please contact me. I could use some extra shopping money and would like to join in on the "secret ATS paid posting members society"

[edit on 5-5-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I agree with the OP. I find that in most of the threads instead of a mature debate about subjects its turned into more of a "is too" "is not" kind of forum. If someone posts a picture of a ufo or alien the first thing instead of "hmm well lets take a closer look and collectively see what we can make of it" its more of "you're and idiot and its an obvious fake or hoax" without any kind of logical debate. Then they have to keep reposting making sure that their opinion heard loud and clear that is is the "only" and "correct" opinion that matters. Hell, thats why I don't bother posting much because whats the point if all you're going to get is a bunch of snide remarks about how moronic and wrong you are. I thought ATS was all about sharing ideas and possibilities but all its turning out to be is nay sayers and know it alls who think that they are the only ones people should listen too and read their posts.

Just because you do not share the same beliefs or opinions that I do, doesn't mean I am wrong or made to feel like I shouldn't be posting. I personally am a "live and let live" type of person. Don't get me wrong. Everyone has the right to free speech and to their own opinions but don't force it on other people. Thats RUDE and IGNORANT....something I thought ATS was against.

Sometimes people forget to search ATS for previous threads before they post their own....no big deal, it can be an honest mistake.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The U.S government has agents working the internet forums... This is public record from what I understand supposedly to fight "terrorism" if you notice most Federal trolls tend to stay in 911 related topics.. they love to derail and make the topic lose credibility with its users, Like calling people who believe that 911 was an inside jobs as Terrorists... people who cover the terrorists etc.throw in racists remarks, call people who believe in a 911 cover up that they don't believe in the holocaust etc.. the aggressive nature of the attacks and the amount of time the perpetrators stay in these rooms is astounding... its almost as if they don't hide it at all ... I have asked all of the people who I beleived to be these agents Do you do this for a living? I have never received a NO to date.. The best thing we can do is IGNORE these federal trolls for you will never ever win an argument . if you make 1 tiny little factual mistake they will totally exploit it.. they have been getting much better.. JUST IGNORE THE FEDERAL TROLLS!! or if you really want to get in it with them use there same tactics against them.. discredit them, make fun of them, etc.. I had one recently compare the WTC collapse to pouring sugar.... SUGAR!

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
Sometimes people forget to search ATS for previous threads before they post their own....no big deal, it can be an honest mistake.

I agree with this 100%. Or they do search and it was titled or described as somthing different. There definitly are WAY to many people bashing those who innocently posted something twice. But again...if your that big of a jerk...it will show in your responses and then guess who looks like the real fool....

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This "theory" makes no sense to me.
Why would anyone, or any group, pay people to come here and act like idiots when so many people are willing to do it for free?
What possible gain could they get from it?
99% of the people in America have never even heard of ATS, so wheres the benefit?
Cuo bono?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

It's good to see that a moderator agrees. Yes, I realize that not EVERY person posting here is like that.

reply to post by rcwj75

Exactly. People should always have more than one source when they get their information.

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

And if there are paid people here posting....will someone please contact me. I could use some extra shopping money and would like to join in on the "secret ATS paid posting members society"

I wouldn't mind some of that money myself considering how seemingly easy it is to derail a thread these days.

Originally posted by QBSneak000

True, but I'm talking about the people who continue to think the information is new even after a link to an old topic as been posted. Oftentimes, they even still have the same arguments as in the old thread despite the old thread having been presented to them. It can be...frustrating.

reply to post by thefreepatriot

This isn't an issue of "ignoring them and hoping they'll go away", because they will NEVER go away. In my opinion, a "win" against them would be making sure that people aren't fooled if they are stirring up the pot or spewing false information.

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed

This "theory" makes no sense to me.
Why would anyone, or any group, pay people to come here and act like idiots when so many people are willing to do it for free?
What possible gain could they get from it?
99% of the people in America have never even heard of ATS, so wheres the benefit?

I can guarantee you that more than 1% of the people in the US have heard of ATS.

Cuo bono?

What is it called when people put these little statements at the end of comments? I'm not sure, but they seem to have the same effects as statements like "Okay kiddo, if that's what you believe", "It's alright, there's other people out there like you too
", etc.

[edit on 5/5/2008 by SonicInfinity]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
I could use some extra shopping money and would like to join in on the "secret ATS paid posting members society"

Hey, I'd like to let it be known that I will underbid greeneyedleo by 10%. I gots a lawyer to pay for.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

I can guarantee you that more than 1% of the people in the US have heard of ATS.

How?
Honest question.
Becasue even on the nets, on other forums I go to few if any have.

What is it called when people put these little statements at the end of comments? I'm not sure, but they seem to have the same effects as statements like "Okay kiddo, if that's what you believe", "It's alright, there's other people out there like you too
", etc.

Its called "asking a question" Cuo Bono is latin for "who benefits"
So again, who benefits from payng posters to "derail threads" or "discredit CT's"
And really, given the "truthers", "the moon hoaxers" and others don't CT's do a good enough job of that temselves?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If there were paid disinformers on this site that would lend a lot of credibility to the site. Lets hope "they" care enough about this site to feel the need to deflect, distort and downplay.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
People are willing to pay to have opinions posted to influence others or for traffic. I would be very surprised if the government isn't doing their share for their purposes.

The problem for us poor folk is that the pay isn't that great for most workers. At least it look like it. of course that might explain the crappy content of some posts, quantity vs quality.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
LOLOL This is funny. I already have a similar position at home(sorta), I've got years' experience. If anyone is hiring disinfo agents to derail threads, send those of us asking for it, the info!!

Side note: Sorry to those I respect and agree with on any positions. If mine and other here's tunes change, it's not our fault.

Honestly, I don't think peoples' personal opinions here can be taken too seriously. There are some who like to come and stir up threads. We are all really different in our living situations and opinions.
Anyone unable to state maturely how they feel, and/or engage in debate with opposing views to theirs, could be a disinfo agent. Or they could just be immature and unable to accept that others don't agree with them. Who knows. This kinda topic has been brought up before.
All the opposing views keeps it interesting here. Surely someone who believes in a certain way and just wants to be agreed with can find such a forum for that.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Hey, I'd like to let it be known that I will underbid greeneyedleo by 10%. I gots a lawyer to pay for.

Hmpf! Well, If I was a guy, Id ask you to step outside.

My offer is still on the table. Maybe if I smile, it will be worth more then your 10%

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'm not paid to do it, but I damn sure try. I'll not sit idly by while the world goes to hell in a hand basket. I'm rattling trees and shaking cages.

The MSM only gives a left and right version of the truth. I think it's everyone's duty on ATS to cut through that baloney.

Do I have my leanings? YES. Do I force feed them to other members? NO. Do I seek open and honest dialogue? YES. Am I honest? YES. Do I care what people think of my opinion or efforts? NO - as long as they're thinking...

To Hell With The LameStreamMedia

I posted this link in another thread and I think it also has merit here:

Digital Influence

Essentially it's a company that is paid to surf and influence topics of discussion.

[edit on 5/5/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

How?
Honest question.
Becasue even on the nets, on other forums I go to few if any have.

www.big-boards.com...

Well, ATS is #334 on the entire Internet, so I'd hope more than 1% of the US has seen it.

So again, who benefits from payng posters to "derail threads" or "discredit CT's"
And really, given the "truthers", "the moon hoaxers" and others don't CT's do a good enough job of that temselves?

Well, there are some people on here that are paid, some that are not, and some that do it for the lulz, aka for giggles. The people who get paid get money out of it; the people who don't get paid are threatened for some reason, used to work for the government, etc., get the satisfaction of helping their country; the people who do it for the lulz get...lulz.

reply to post by Skyfloating

I agree. Although they're annoying, deep down inside it makes me smile, because it makes me think that one day, ATS may discover something really big.

reply to post by roadgravel

I know, you'd think they could come up with better grammar in their sentences.

reply to post by LostNemesis

Please don't tell me your last sentence is a deterrant, suggesting that if people don't agree with me, they must be a "disinfo" agent, because that's hardly the case. I'm accusing the people who downright demean and slander the people who are trying to express their opinions and the people that spew opinions that are completely contrary to logic (not "global warming: science" logic, but "1+1" logic; in other words, "painfully obvious and indisputable" logic).

reply to post by kosmicjack

Companies doing this is hardly surprising.

. . .

On a small unrelated note, I noticed that a mass U2U was sent out telling users how they could earn money via ATS Premium. I think the timing of this U2U is a bit too convenient, don't you agree? ¬_¬

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

www.big-boards.com...

Well, ATS is #334 on the entire Internet, so I'd hope more than 1% of the US has seen it.

It also says theres a total of 4 million posts from the ebginning. The us POP is 300 million. And ATS seems to have a big foreign contingent.
So I understand why you think so, but I doubt it.

Well, there are some people on here that are paid, some that are not, and some that do it for the lulz, aka for giggles. The people who get paid get money out of it; the people who don't get paid are threatened for some reason, used to work for the government, etc., get the satisfaction of helping their country; the people who do it for the lulz get...lulz.

You misunderstand, what does the person paying people to post, either to "misdirect" or to discredit" CT's, get out of it? I dont see any benefit to the payee, unless we asume ATS has a hugely outsize effect on public opinion. Again all it would take to "discredit" CT's, is to allow some of the nuttier ones airtime. That special fox did on the "hoaxed moon landings" a few years back did more to "discredit" CT's, than every poster here.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I've been disorienting threads on this site for years with my hopped up crazy talk and bygolly, no one has sent me so much as a dime!

I'm going to start posting lucid thoughts if that check doesn't arrive soon. I swear I will

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SonicInfinity

On a small unrelated note, I noticed that a mass U2U was sent out telling users how they could earn money via ATS Premium. I think the timing of this U2U is a bit too convenient, don't you agree? ¬_¬

hm. Nope
The U2U was sent out before this thread
and before I made the offer.

Im still waiting for that secret U2U or email
:lol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join