It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turning Fungus Into Fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Turning Fungus Into Fuel

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (May 5, 2008) — A spidery fungus with a voracious appetite for military uniforms and canvas tents could hold the key to improvements in the production of biofuels, a team of government, academic and industry researchers has announced.

In a paper published today in Nature Biotechnology, researchers led by Los Alamos National Laboratory and the U.S. Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute announced that the genetic sequence of the fungus Tricoderma reesei has uncovered important clues about how the organism breaks down plant fibers into simple sugars. The finding could unlock possibilities for industrial processes that can more efficiently and cost effectively convert corn, switchgrass and even cellulose-based municipal waste into ethanol. Ethanol from waste products is a more-carbon-neutral alternative to gasoline.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-5-2008 by grover]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
One of my abiding interests is mycology and whenever I come across something like this I am facinated. I have said on other threads dealing with the world of fungi that they are among the most chemically complex forms of life on this planet and the more they learn about them the more astounded I become.

If this study pans out, it could be big.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Oh yes! Fungi are integral to life on earth. For one thing they breakdown nutrients in the soil and trade them for sugars from trees through their mycorrhizae. They are medicinal, psycoactive and nutritious.

In a survival situation it will be valuable to know the local fungi. It's just about oyster mushroom season up here.
YUMM!!!

join