It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Diego federal courthouse closed after explosion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

San Diego federal courthouse closed after explosion

www.mercurynews.com

The Associated Press
Article Launched: 05/05/2008 12:43:37 AM PDT

SAN DIEGO—The federal courthouse in San Diego will be closed Monday as workers repair damage caused by a suspected pipe bomb.
The explosion early Sunday damaged the front entrance and lobby area of the Edward J. Schwartz Federal Courthouse, said FBI spokeswoman April Langwell.

No one was hurt by the blast, which happened at 1:40 a.m. and was reported by two guards inside the building.

Debris was found lodged in a window about eight stories up the AT&T building that faces the courthouse. About 40 agents combed the courtyard in front of the courthouse after the area was swept for explosives.

The evidence collected will be sent to an FBI laboratory in Virginia for analysis by bomb experts.

"It's too early to tell if it's terrorism-related," said FBI spokesman Darrell Foxworth. "It does not appear to be right now."

Authorities said surveillance cameras outside the building might provide information, but there are no cameras that directly face the doorway. At the time of the explosion there were not many people around the building, which is a block from nightclubs in the Gaslamp Quarter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This happened yesterday but for some reason it ( or I didn't see it) didn't make the evening news.

www.mercurynews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
"It's too early to tell if it's terrorism-related," said FBI spokesman Darrell Foxworth. "It does not appear to be right now."

I wonder how this is defined? What 'terrorism' does he mean? What is the difference between a 'normal' pipe bomb, and one that is terrorism related? How is the difference determined?

Are the two guards suspect? Who had access at 1 a.m.?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ionized

Its only terrorism anymore if the pepatrator is muslim.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Authorities said surveillance cameras outside the building might provide information, but there are no cameras that directly face the doorway.

Pictures might surface if they show a man wearing a shirt with "IRAN" written on the back. Admitting the possibility of a non-terrorist act might be a way to help the 'we need a police state' campaign.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

That made me laugh

Though I think under all the acts and laws and executive orders passed by our fearless leader and the spineless followers in congress and senate, an innocent child sucking on a lollipop and playing jump rope could be considered a terrorist.

Lets face what really happened here: You have someone who wanted to send the federals a message. This is no more terrorism than the innocent child playing jump rope. For the agent to even hint that terrorism isn't ruled out shows their lack of regard for the meaning of words and their ability to confuse the public while purposefully blurring the lines between 'terror' and civil discontent. Attacking an empty federal building with a single device in the middle of the night is hardly an intent to cause terror. However, place that device in a crowded night club, and then you have terror.

I am so tired of the word terror.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ionized

I was being scarcastic but sadly there is far more truth to it than I would like to admit.

At least we no longer hear about the color codes anymore.

They have played the terror card so much I find it hard to believe that anyone would even pay attention to it anymore.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Hahaha !!!

Gotta agree with everyone on this one. It sounds more like an "accident", than "terror". I am sick of the "terror around every corner" threats too. If someone wanted to cause fear, this pipe bomb or whatever it is confirmed to be, would have went off today (monday), during business hours while the building is bursting with people.

Nothing to see here.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This would likely be some sort of organized crime action since its a courthouse. They should go though the list of trials in that courthouse two to three months in the future and six months past.

This same trend plays through south america.

new topics

top topics

join