It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Post-catastrophe food planning. The Brits need Tea.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well I feel a lot better now, knowing that the goverment has my best interests at heart!! A lot of people say you Americans are mad with ya gun totting and invading oil rich countries, just you wait and see what happens to Britian when the Tea runs out, it will be like a scene from 28 days later but on a massive scale.
I'm thinking of rushing out now to make sure I have at least 10 boxes of PG tips stored for when the SHTF!!
I have room in a corner for you Sleuth, but please no yanking!!!!

[edit on 24-7-2008 by Kurokage]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

Any of you Brits got a spare bunk in the corner for a good Yank?

If my memory serves me correctly it was namely the yankees who showed themselves downright rebellious. Are you prepared to swear allegiance to Her Majesty and hold out your little finger at 45% when holding a tea-cup?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I seem to recall (although my memory may be bad) a Gardener's World episode discussing certain strains of the tea plant being grown IN the UK. I don't remember what episode, or where it was grown, but I remember the man saying something like, tea plants imported are hard to get, and harder still to find a strain that will grow well.

There are other teas besides the regular tea we all know. I drink tea a lot but am not British. Perhaps in another life. lol You can make your own herbal tea out of a multitude of plants. Even one for Vit C, should you have the need for it, from Rose Hips for example. Lemon Balm makes an interesting ingredient in herbal tea. Plus it grows like mad, and has a heavenly scent.

There are substitutes for coffee as well, the chicory root. I read somewhere that during the American Civil War, when coffee was hard to get, they would make their own version of coffee using roasted chicory root.

Chicory Coffee

Just a little weblink I found.

It all boils down to herblore once again. lol Who knows, you might find something you like better.

Ah ha! Found it. Here's the location where they are growing tea in the UK.

www.tregothnan.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceara

I drink tea a lot but am not British.

Splendid. Clearly the Empire served its purpose in bringing civilisation to the globe.

Much obliged for your recommendations. We presently have most of our tea delivered to the door by a gentleman driving a quaint little van. Quintessentially English.

I must look into that home-grown variety. Have you perchance partaken of said leaf? In any case your most welcome advice has been duly noted.

Spiffing. Absolutely spiffing.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
With respect to your treatment of the Right Hon. Mr Blair there was nothing honourable in your behaviour. (You should have used 18-inch Lancashire cucumbers.)

Skilled. I like you.

That would have made his speech at Georgetown University the following morning so much more interesting, had he had an 18-inch Lancashire cucumber jammed up his left naris.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Quite so. I think you're catching on.

There may yet be time for you to reform. What would you say to a spell in rehab?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Well...i drink either rooibos tea or yerba mate...or mushroom and ephedra tea...no tetley for me thankyou very much!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

reply to post by Sleuth

If my memory serves me correctly it was namely the yankees who showed themselves downright rebellious. Are you prepared to swear allegiance to Her Majesty and hold out your little finger at 45% when holding a tea-cup?

Listen, if it means I can dump George Bush and get a good cup of tea, you'd better believe it!

Kurokage - 10-4 on the yanking ban. How about spanking?

Mods, please don't SPANK ME for that.

[edit on 7/24/08 by Sleuth]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

I do sympathise with you, cousin.

Spanking is permissible. However there is another serious hurdle to your gaining access to the realm. A couple of years ago Her Majesty's govt. introduced new legislation requiring all applicants for citizenship to pass an English exam. Not that I wish to offend, but it might take several years' preparation...

Perhaps it would give you time to readjust your taste buds, at least.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth

reply to post by Sleuth

Listen, if it means I can dump George Bush and get a good cup of tea, you'd better believe it!

Kurokage - 10-4 on the yanking ban. How about spanking?

Mods, please don't SPANK ME for that.

[edit on 7/24/08 by Sleuth]

I'll spank you!! is that what you were asking?...

Two lines!...ish

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

reply to post by AshleyD

'Dang tea'? I've heard of Darjeeling, and I'm quite partial to Earl Grey. You blessed Americans always get hold of things before we do.

Is it perhaps served in MacDonalds?

They will NEVER take my Earl Grey and they will have to pry my teapot from my coldead hands.Don't worry about milk.Earl Grey is lovely with soya milk and a teaspoon of honey.Also for a change put a couple of clove sin the pot ,niicce

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

English exam?

Ah, yes, I believe I meant a proper cup of tea.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by candyfloss

reply to post by AshleyD

'Dang tea'? I've heard of Darjeeling, and I'm quite partial to Earl Grey. You blessed Americans always get hold of things before we do.

They will NEVER take my Earl Grey and they will have to pry my teapot from my coldead hands.Don't worry about milk.Earl Grey is lovely with soya milk and a teaspoon of honey.Also for a change put a couple of clove sin the pot ,niicce

lol soya milk,cheers for the giggle!
and cinnamon...not cloves...cloves are for toothache etc....

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by candyfloss

What delightful suggestions. Do please make yourself at home, and help yourself to the tiffin.

I trust you have made arrangements for a convex appendage to the side of your coffin (-if you don't mind me asking?)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil

reply to post by AshleyD

No,don't be a stiff.I said cloves and I mean't cloves,try it it's very refreshing and yes I'm laying down the gauntlet and I'll try cinnamon and I'll meet you here on this thread at 4.00 tommorrow and bring your man and your chosen tea acompaniments.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sleuth

Not to put too fine a point on it, but until one has learnt the art of proper spelling one could not be trusted to avoid degrading the native language, however surreptitiously. It's not your fault, old boy, we should never have left it to the French to go it alone with respect to imposing standards on language (c.f. the Academie francaise).

I hear your willingness to imbibe the traditions handed down to us from time immemorial. I have to say your deference to the principle of tea-only does you credit. (Fear not - that is not the same as tea-total.)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

What delightful suggestions. Do please make yourself at home, and help yourself to the tiffin.

I trust you have made arrangements for a convex appendage to the side of your coffin (-if you don't mind me asking?)

What the [snip] are you on?Appendages ?Coffins?Have you had some exotic tea.Giles Coren is that you?Because you write like he talk and I've been reading all about your Times debacle.Have you come to ATS to hide and lick your wounds Giles?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lethil

reply to post by AshleyD

No,don't be a stiff.I said cloves and I mean't cloves,try it it's very refreshing and yes I'm laying down the gauntlet and I'll try cinnamon and I'll meet you here on this thread at 4.00 tommorrow and bring your man and your chosen tea acompaniments.

oh a challenge you say!? Im not one for challenges...but cinnamon *ownz* cloves in every way possible...i await the results...and nooo tree bark! proper cinnamon please....little bit of honey...preferably heather honey from scotland...but now im just being picky...anyway deal!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Post the test. Seriously. I'll take it right here in this thread!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

they will have to pry my teapot from my coldead hands.

I was just hoping to save them the trouble.

(And no, it's not him. Keep guessing...)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join