It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Post-catastrophe food planning. The Brits need Tea.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

No, we pay for our gas in monthly installments and use it for cooking and heating.

As far as petrol goes, at least we pay for it - instead of stealing it from Iraq.

I take that back, we're in Afghanistan now to protect the tea crop from annihilation by the Taliban.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

You have outdone this smart-mouthed Sass Queen. I concede. But I did update my comment to petrol before your reply after noticing my goof.

Oh, and we wouldn't have to steal our oil if the liberal democrats would let us tap into all the oil we have here!

[This post is not political baiting... it is a joke. Well, kind of.]

[edit on 5/5/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The British government clearly has its eye on the ball when it comes to overseas policy. This is integral to the Great British tradition: the empire undoubtably had but one purpose when one considers that India was the 'Jewel in the Crown'.

The empire gone, we have been paying ever-more extortionate sums to import tea. This Sceptered Isle, once the doyen of cultured society, retains but a pale reflection of its former glory. Foreign debt is leaving us at the mercy of third-world plantations, eager to exploit our misfortune.

Our vulnerability is real. In the aftermath of any nuclear attack tradition, nay civility itself, could truly be lost forever.

Never since the day St George first brought the hallowed leaf to the British Isles has England so needed every man, every woman, to perform their duty. (sip)

Even those proud to be under our tutelage, the Scots, the Welsh and lastly the Irish have, over the centuries - despite their savage roots - become proud tea-drinkers. Even now let us rise together. Our government has left us at the mercy of our enemies. Shall we stand by and let all that is of value be lost forever?

United we may yet prevail. Falter, and the prosaic bean may be all that remains, to the ruin of all.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Coffee, or:

The "might-have-BEANS" of history. . . . .

The fact that the colonists switched to coffee had a profound effect on the course of the American revolution; they were over-stimulated compared to the British and German mercenaries.

Likewise, back in 1848/9, all the Mexicans drank was hot chocolate. They've switched to sterner stuff now; even growing their own Arabica beans, to lay the foundation for future empire.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

The fact that the colonists switched to coffee...

Firstly, your subliminal message both here, and in your avatar, will get you nowhere.

Those who deserted Paradise in search of Disneyland clearly had no breeding in the first place. A True Brit will thank you kindly for the offer of acrid bean-juice, no matter how invitingly you smirk.

As for the Mexicans, they evidently never knew any better. They would, however, do well to consider an axiomatic lesson from history: only a society based on politeness and gentility can ever hope to run a world empire.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

only a society based on politeness and gentility can ever hope to run a world empire.

Were you thinking of the Julius Ceasar? Or maybe Ghengis Khan?

Politeness and Gentility perhaps best describe the ramshackle "Holy Roman Empire," which blundered along for 500 years before its inhabitants quit even caring.

But they invented the waltz, right?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Typical American parochialism. You look at those who annexed their surrounding landmass and explored beyond their own backyard, and hey presto, "world" dominance.

The Holy Roman Empire 'polite and gentile'? Well, yes, I suppose you're right if you are comparing the Crusades with the Iraq War.

On the other hand I suspect you may be somewhat dehydrated and unable to think with total clarity. Do you possess a tea-strainer, by any chance?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
But wasn't tea supposed to be a "cure" for slight radiation poisoning?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I'd just like to add that I'm English and I hate Tea. I'd rather drink recycled piss.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Wenn Ich an Ihrer Stelle wäre, so hätte Ich mich nicht so ausgedrückt!

Sir, your treachery is complete. Not only have you trampled on all that is sacred to an Englishman, you spurn the language of Heaven and address the world in Teutonic gobbledygook (c.f. your 'location').

It is not without reason that the Tower still stands. And the executioner's axe is kept well-ground...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Well I'm all set, bring on your nuclear holocausts and ice ages. For I have just bought 6 boxes of PG tips triangle bags for a pound, from the dodgy farmer down the road who sells goods that fell off the back of a lorry.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
We may have to go back to trading opium and get our tea that way - but that would leave us open to attacks by the CIA and their surrogates which wouldn't do at all.

They don't want anyone else taking their drug money

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It must be remembered that the BBC article refers to UK Home Defence planning in the mid-fifties - just as UK Government planners were trying to get their heads around the differences between planning for an atomic weapons exchange and the complete devastation which might be wrought by the use of the newly developed H-Bomb.

You'll be pleased to hear that ten years later, the UK Government was still concerned about the 'morale boosting' properties of tea.

During August 1966, a senior MAFF Civil Servant created a 'temporary' file in order to prevent the inclusion of TOP SECRET material in another less highly classified, and already opened, file.

The subject of this TOP SECRET discussion?

Tea... and how the newly created Home Defence concept would affect its procurement from abroad after a nuclear exchange.

"2. I have been holding back MR Hall’s submission, dated 30th June, because the fluid situation regarding [redacted] and UKSA has made it difficult to discern the best course to pursue regarding the replacement of the Director (designate) for tea, Mr A. B. Yuille.

3. Those aspects of the new concept of wartime central Government relevant to the replacement of Mr Yuille are-

(a) we have secured agreement to the MAFF component of about 30 (to include trade advisers) at each of the three replicated UKSAs;

(b) there will be no wider plans for a shadow wartime HQ.

4. Account must also be taken of three other factors-

(i) our food scientists have consistently contended that tea is of very considerable importance as a sustainer of morale in GB.

(ii) we already possess an organisation in the form of regional tea officers (designate) and a lower stream of procurement and the control in the wholesale groceries and provisions organisation;

(iii) we also have designate tea procurement officers in India and Ceylon.

5. All this suggests that a trade adviser for tea at UKSA is essential to provide a link between the regional designate posts and the appropriate overseas procurement officers. Whether our meagre complement in UKSA permits that a trade man for tea should take up one on the posts is questionable; but the importance of tea to morale suggests that one post should be so allocated. If on the other hand we decide against a tea officer in UKSA it would still be advantageous to have a designate officer who could at least be instructed in the precautionary stage to contact the central government supply agency, through the regional commissioner, if he survived the attack."

The final phrase - "if he survived the attack" - neatly sums up how attitudes had changed since 1955 - from an earlier assumption of survival to an acknowledgment of probable annihilation.

*snip*

Incidentally the British government could always be depended on to provide a safe haven for its citizens. They even had the foresight to erect a huge arrow-shaped signpost saying "Secret Bunker" near a main road in my part of the world, in case of nuclear holocaust. You can learn about this splendid facility here:

www.hackgreen.co.uk...

Second thoughts: I've just checked out the 'Cold War Role' tab and it reveals that the place was designed to enable

...135 civil servants and military personnel to survive a sustained nuclear attack

...at a cost of £32 million. So much for the people who put the politicians in power in the first place. However if your sources are reliable that might have been the greatest number of people for whom they could guarantee a decent brew...

Most of these Regional Government Headquarters (RGHQ's) were not constructed to protect against blast - and they were only constructed with a fallout protection factor of 1000, something which the Home Office were beginning to regret as far back as the mid-1960s.

And by the mid-'70s, as recently declassified UK Government documents reveal, there was serious doubt about the ability of the UK Government to offer any assistance to the general public after a full nuclear exchange.

This draft note (see above), written by a senior H.M. Treasury official in 1973, considers four different scenarios of nuclear attack on the UK. By the Treasury's reckoning, scenario (d) was "A total nuclear attack employing high power missiles which would destroy all but a small percentage of the UK population and almost all physical assets of civilised life"

While describing 1973 wartime Treasury policy, the official continued:

"...As for (d) [total nuclear war], the money policy would of course be absurdly unrealistic for the few surviving administrators and politicians as they struggled to organise food and shelter for the tiny bands of surviving able-bodied and the probably larger number of sick and dying. Most of the other departments contingency planning might also be irrelevant in such a situation. Within a fairly short time the survivors would evacuate the UK and try to find some sort of life in less-affected countries (southern Ireland?)."

zero lift

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Wenn Ich an Ihrer Stelle wäre, so hätte Ich mich nicht so ausgedrückt!

Sir, your treachery is complete. Not only have you trampled on all that is sacred to an Englishman, you spurn the language of Heaven and address the world in Teutonic gobbledygook (c.f. your 'location').

Haha! That ain't even the half of it, fellow countryman! I drink foreign beverages and utter double-blasphemies about decapitating the Sovereign and pissing on her shins. Also, using Sorcery, I once made Tony Blair cough up a hoover-bag full of salt -- and then snort a jar full of miniature pickled Gherkins in front of his children before selling you all out to Brussels.

It is not without reason that the Tower still stands. And the executioner's axe is kept well-ground...

Hearken, noble patriot... for if thou strike me down now I shalt become more powerful than Jesuit-you could ever fathmoth!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by zero lift

Sir, you are a true Patriot. Her Majesty's grateful subjects will henceforth afford you all due respect, and knowingly touch the front of their flat caps whenever you come into view. (Tear drops down the side of the nose.)

An initial analysis raises unquestionable cause for concern:

Most of these Regional Government Headquarters (RGHQ's) were not constructed to protect against blast - and they were only constructed with a fallout protection factor of 1000, something which the Home Office were beginning to regret as far back as the mid-1960s.

Such lack of foresight is frankly criminal. It is universally acknowledged that any stockpiled quality leaves could only survive if the protection factor were something of the order of 5,000 - if a palatable aroma is to be preserved, that is.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

...before selling you all out to Brussels.

Niel Kinnock you are now officially OUTED.

I never realised how jealous you are of Mr. Blair, but let's face it - he achieved what you never could.

And as for those rituals, you are clearly an illuminatus. No surprise really; megalomaniacs never did have any sense of decorum. Or taste.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Niel Kinnock you are now officially OUTED.

I never realised how jealous you are of Mr. Blair, but let's face it - he achieved what you never could.

Hahaha! Nah man, it's me; Peter Mandelson!

And as for those rituals, you are clearly an illuminatus. No surprise really; megalomaniacs never did have any sense of decorum. Or taste.

Ouch! What is there to find distasteful about Tony Blair snorting a jar full of miniature pickled Gherkins in front of his children, Sir? We all thought it was great.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Shows the Government has their priorities in order.

I starred you for that one, stu. That was the first thought that came to mind. GB knows what's bloody important!

Sleuth
Shameless Anglophile

PS: I may have to move to GB. I doubt the US Gov has thought of this. Any of you Brits got a spare bunk in the corner for a good Yank?

[edit on 7/24/08 by Sleuth]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

It had to be one of you two conniving red-flag saluters. And now we know.

With respect to your treatment of the Right Hon. Mr Blair there was nothing honourable in your behaviour. (You should have used 18-inch Lancashire cucumbers.)

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Charity

Wonderful vid! Starred with a
for making this old grouch smile today.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join