It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government Post-catastrophe food planning. The Brits need Tea.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Government Post-catastrophe food planning. The Brits need Tea.

news.bbc.co.uk

Government officials planning food supplies said the tea situation would be "very serious" after a nuclear war.
"It would be wrong to consider that even 1oz per head per week could be ensured," they stated.
The papers were released under the Freedom of Information Act by the National Archives at Kew.

Heart and health
The documents said a nuclear conflict would result in the loss of three-quarters of tea stocks...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Although the document just released under the Freedom of Information Act relates to planning in the 1950s it is anyone's guess as to whether today's government has moved on in their thinking.

Has the real issue been addressed at all: the British have actually moved on in terms of their required beverage; in fact the shift is seismic for such a conservative nation. The rise of the h e r b a l teabag is real, and not to be underestimated:

www.foodanddrinkeurope.com...

I for one fear post-nuke Britain might therefore never recover...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Shows the Government has their priorities in order. I for one am glad that in the event of Thermonuclear War, HM's Government will strive to make sure that our Tea supply is safe. I couldn't imagine life without my 10 cups a day...

As for herbal tea, the shift is sizable, but the UK consumes huge amounts of ordinary tea, something like 5% of the worlds total output is consumed in the UK alone. In 1955, it used to be around 30% of supply (but supply was much less and tea drinking has grown in popularity around the world).

As it stands, the humble "cuppa" is still an integral part of British culture.

Not sure why you think the UK is "such a conservative nation". We are historically and even now one of the most liberal society's on the planet. Could you define your statement?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Now look here. You seem to be missing the point.

Deep-earth survival shelters might actually be quite cosy. But if the teabags were all traditional there could be serious political fallout.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
right thats it... it really is the end of the world! if there's no tea i can't go on, i just can't i tell you.... we're all doomed! aaaargh!

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by realism

I think you need to adapt that signature slightly.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
hhhmmmm....what do you mean? something like "only tea can save us"? lol

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by realism

Clearly such a move might enable you to unite the nation. Sacrifices are required in the face of adversity.

If you care to glance at my 'profile' & investigate the 'Man Returns from the Dead' video you might conclude there is yet another alternative. As to the here and now, people like stumason with their reactionary pro-ordinary teabag tactics just leave me aghast...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
i will have a look at the video when i have a little more time later, i do hope you realise i was only joking! i stand by my origional signature for now, and as for the tea, well if it really does run out i think i'll be ok!

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
There's something very "other worldly" about post nuclear attack planning, nicht wahr ? It's a bit like the notorious "Protect & Survive" booklet exhorting you not to light a cigarette after a nuclear bomb explodes in your neighbourhood in case you accidentally start a fire.

Anyways. This thread has given me a little laugh. The English & their tea. time for a cuppa & a little tune ....

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Charity

Holy cow! What would we do for milk?

I was watching your video, thinking we could actually start a new political movement with that as its theme-tune when the truth suddenly dawned on me: radioactive milk supplies. I suppose irradiation would sterilise, so no need for underground pasturisation, but once the stocks have run out - what next? Go continental?

There's no way we can sit back and just 'trust the government' - we all know where that would leave us.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
There were, until the late 1980's at least, warehouses dotted all around the UK which stored our doomsday supplies. The old Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Food had responsibility for the warehouses.

A typical warehouse contained long life high protein flour, tinned yeast, sacks of sugar, "Ministry Margerine" (with a lifespan of 20 years *cough*), tins of biscuits (manufactured in the 1960's) and ... crates of powdered skimmed milk ... huzzah !! Milky Tea for everyone !!

(slight flaw here was that the warehouses didn't actually store tea at all ... just the very basics).

Later in the 1980's these warehouses were used to store surplus "Common Market" products, such as the famous blue label European tinned stewed beef. I remember that with fond affection. When the warehouses were closed down the tinned beef was given away free to pensioners. My Granny got a crateload ... she hated it ... but when I discovered she was feeding it to the dog I confiscated the lot & lived off "nuclear attack stew" for about a month. It was absolutely delicious !!

I can't vouch for anything else in the warehouses though. Doesn't sound too appetising.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Charity

I think the truth is trickling out. The UK government has known for over 50 years that

...the tea situation would be "very serious" after a nuclear war."

(Source: link in the OP.)

Yet you state that

...the warehouses didn't actually store tea at all...

No wonder it took the Freedom of Information Act to release the details. What else does the government use 'classification' for, if not to hide the truth from the people?

Incidentally the British government could always be depended on to provide a safe haven for its citizens. They even had the foresight to erect a huge arrow-shaped signpost saying "Secret Bunker" near a main road in my part of the world, in case of nuclear holocaust. You can learn about this splendid facility here:

www.hackgreen.co.uk...

Second thoughts: I've just checked out the 'Cold War Role' tab and it reveals that the place was designed to enable

...135 civil servants and military personnel to survive a sustained nuclear attack

...at a cost of £32 million. So much for the people who put the politicians in power in the first place. However if your sources are reliable that might have been the greatest number of people for whom they could guarantee a decent brew...

apc

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Shows the Government has their priorities in order. I for one am glad that in the event of Thermonuclear War, HM's Government will strive to make sure that our Tea supply is safe. I couldn't imagine life without my 10 cups a day...

Indeed they do. Likewise anyone preparing for a survival situation would be wise to keep a healthy stock of whatever other vices they have. Chocolate, cigarettes, coffee. Trying to enjoy something that reminds one of a normal life is very beneficial towards long term survival. Keeps the mind calm and tensions at ease to help them work for a return to the life they knew.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Coffee?

No-one said anything about an American invasion.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Hey... I have known some English to be rather fond of their morning coffee. You are just on edge because of the article at hand, talking about a potential tea crisis.

Could tea even be a "vice"?? Learn something new everyday.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Could tea even be a "vice"??

Touché!

Seriously, though, while the bunker I linked to above revealed an appalling lack of foresight with respect to the mass provision of hot drinks, a resident of the nearby village of Audlem has claimed it also contains the key to why the war in Iraq was bungled:

www.audlem.org...

No tea, and WMD under the carpet. Is there no end to the incompetence?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

You Brits and your dang tea. Just teasing you. I guarantee you I already have a life time supply of coffee safely stored in my underground bunker in case of a nuclear Holocaust. I'll worry about food and fresh water later. Well, I need to get on the fresh water storage. Got to have it if I plan to brew my coffee. The food thing will have to wait, though.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

'Dang tea'? I've heard of Darjeeling, and I'm quite partial to Earl Grey. You blessed Americans always get hold of things before we do.

Is it perhaps served in MacDonalds?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

'Dang tea' comes from a province of China and is named after the ancient Xaio Ming Dang Dynasty. It's very rare and very expensive. Something only us wealthy Americans can afford as you Brits buy your overpriced 'petrol' by the liter. Or is that litre?

[edit on 5/5/2008 by AshleyD]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join