It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge fiscal pressures are causing many to let thousands of felons go free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Huge fiscal pressures are causing many to let thousands of felons go free

www.msnbc.msn.com

NEW YORK - Reversing decades of tough-on-crime policies, including mandatory minimum prison sentences for some drug offenders, many cash-strapped states are embracing a view once dismissed as dangerously naive: It costs far less to let some felons go free than to keep them locked up.

It is a theory that has long been pushed by criminal justice advocates and liberal politicians -- that some felons, particularly those convicted of minor drug offenses, would be better served by treatment, parole or early release for good behavior
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I have always said that we should give treatment to many of the inmates that are there for drug offenses, just locking them up does nothing but give them more contacts. This is quite the times though when our economy is the match that finally lights this fire!

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
End the war on drugs and your prison capacity problems will end with it. The problem is that the states may be losing money on the prison system but MANY other people are still making a fortune off of it. The war on drugs will never end.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
End the war on drugs and your prison capacity problems will end with it. The problem is that the states may be losing money on the prison system but MANY other people are still making a fortune off of it. The war on drugs will never end.

Better yet, grow legal hemp to stop deforestation, renew the soil, aid in biofuel production and get the professionals to show the farmers how to do it correctly.

apc

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
How pathetic is that. They incarcerate innocent drug users and dealers, drag cancer patients out of their homes and destroy their medicine, throw the sick and dying in prison and what makes them rethink it? They can't afford it. What a joke.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Starred and Flagged.

While I have my doubts that few people can and do use drugs responsibly, I do NOT think that doing so should put someone in prison, and effectively label them as we do true criminals. The fact that we have such overflowing prisons should show that we're doing something wrong.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JadetteWhile I have my doubts that few people can and do use drugs responsibly

Are you serious? So that means, by your line of thinking, that few can use alcohol responsibly, as well. Gimme a break

Additionally, are you speaking from your experiences? Or from your non-experience?

If the former -- don't judge others because you are weak and unable to control yourself.

If the latter -- how can you even remotely judge this if you've never been a "user"? (not an abuser)

OK -- that out of the system -- I heard this 1-2 months ago out of FL about the lack of funds. They said this would happen and here it comes. Again, I agree with most here... end the long running failed "war on drugs" -- most of these people should have never been there in the first place.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Show me meth users or heroin addicts that maintain a longterm lifestyle where it doesn't have some negative impact on their lives?

I suppose I don't consider Marijuana nor alcohol of of the same caliber, but otherwise I stand by my statement. I believe that it is the rare individual that can use and not abuse. But if you read my words I said "I have my DOUBTS, that FEW...CAN" not that no one can, nor that all drug users are abusers.

However, I believe that such choices are about civil liberties and that such things do NOT make someone a criminal.

And please refrain from personal attacks and aggressive commentary; address your issues and the topic at hand without resorting to incendiary tactics, it's bad form and non productive to the thread and the site.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
If we executed them, it would have an upfront cost, but then no more cost of any kind, including to Society in the long run...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Karl, I could not agree more. I am a testament to the fact, I have smoked weed and problably tested ( tested...) everything out there. I have held jobs of much prestige, and those who know me , they know I am intelligent and capable of learning new tech and what ever is needed to be more than competent on any job selected. I perform my job with a love and fever, it is my life's blood, or so to say. But because after all my years of experimenting and settling, or rather enjoying at appropriate times, my so called 'drug of choice', which is good ole mary jane, I cannot employ myself at my potential. I cannnot approach a job which I know I can not only do correctly, but with a conviction that would exceed anyone's expectations of customer service, because of invasive, violative, drug testing that says when I get done with my job , I wanna smoke a fat one. I think it sucks.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by space cadet]

edit= I am drinking and typing too fast.

[edit on 6-5-2008 by space cadet]

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

Jadette, I have family members who are the kind of addicts, like meth users, who are of great concern to me. I don't understand their drive to continue to use meth. I would not allow it to have me like that, their are substances that should not be classifed with those drugs ( herorin, meth, ect.) I know that my family members need help. The vicious cycle of arrest and release, for crime from possesion to what they are doing to obtain the drug ,shuld be addressed by addressing their addiction, and what it is doing to their life not an arrest, hold until bond, court date and probation, which they later violate because they are geeking so hard they can't report, then a dramatic arrest while they are in a mental state that no one should be in when they go to jail, followed by a bond out, possible probation, which becomes an endless cycle of violation and arrest, more probation. Not all 'drugs' are the same. You simply cannot classify marijuana with meth or herion.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I agree with you completely, I'm sorry if my post didn't make that clear, I thought it had.

My husband is deeply involved in behavioral research in regards to addiction. Neither the he, nor I, nor the evidence support prison as a means to recovery and it certainly doesn't help the individual or society.

All drugs are not the same. I think it's ridiculous that our laws have made marijuana a scheduled drug. I advocate the legalization of all drugs, personally I feel it's a civil liberty that we're infringing upon. HOWEVER, again, like your example of meth use, I do believe that some drugs and the abuse of them, have a negative impact upon people, their lives and society.

But prison is not the answer.

edit: removed unnecessary quote

[edit on 6-5-2008 by Jadette]

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I am really suprised at the lack of interest in this particular subject. Is there something wrong with the way I post??????

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
the process is so backwards..

where some real good guys woh probably have jobs...
are nabbed for like.. a tiny bit of marijuana .. and bam in the slammer for 3-5 yrs or whatever..
and there.. they are prone to most likely become QUITE a different person overall..afterward

and they come back out.. most are jobless.. and desperate.. and what...multiply that times how many hundred thousand per day?

enjoy your victoria secret underware ladies...
that's where this stuff is bein made.. for pennnnnies.
slave labor.. for being caught with a freaking plant that makes you feel more loving to others.

common sense!
completely rational process

ya right.

( as i type on a keyboard made by sleep-deprived overworked slave labored underage girls in china )

uggggg......

-
-

new topics

top topics

join