It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myanmar Cyclone [UPDATE] 15000+ Killed!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

351 Dead In Myanmar Cyclone!!!

www.msnbc.msn.com

YANGON, Myanmar - A powerful cyclone killed more than 350 people and destroyed thousands of homes, state-run media said Sunday. Some dissident groups worried that the military junta running Myanmar would be reluctant to ask for international help.

Tropical Cyclone Nargis hit at a delicate time for the junta, less than a week ahead of a crucial referendum on a new constitution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/5/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Thats horrible. I hope they get the help they need and martial law is not declared.

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
okay...maybe Im crazy...but my gut intuition makes me think either the earth is going to pole shift. or maybe we are seeing haarp in full effect? Maybe all the information I have come across through multiple venues has been elaborately constructed to make me believe the opposite of what I seek...
time will tell...but I suspect all the natural phenomenal oddities throughout the globe recently, along with all the animal kingdom's oddities, and along with all the scientific advances, and along with the prevalent disharmony and extreme division in the world, we are about to experience some amazing moments in the history of mankind pretty soon.
Ive got a guitar, love, positivity and savage cooking skills...whose got the marshmallows?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
B.B.C. news is now saying nearly 4000 dead and a further 3000 missing
lets hope they get all the help they need

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
*UPDATE 4000 Killed*

uk.reuters.com...

"The confirmed number is 3,934 dead, 41 injured and 2,879 missing within the Yangon and Irrawaddy divisions," the evening news report said, dramatically increasing the toll from the storm that hit on Saturday.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Myanmar death toll 'nears 4,000'

YANGON, Myanmar (CNN) -- Almost 4,000 people have died and another 3,000 remain missing in Myanmar as a result of this weekend's devastating cyclone, state media reported Monday.

The soaring death toll was announced as the reclusive southeast Asian country's ruling military junta issued a rare appeal for international assistance in the face of an escalating humanitarian crisis.

Source

Horrible news; So sad; Thailand, India & China must act as early as possible to help the victims as they are the immediate neighbors to Myanmar.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Enceladus

Unfortunatly the best the can do is ask the Burmese officials if they want help* - if they didn't, it could probably be seen as an act of war.

Not that the entire world wouldn't condemn the Burmese Officials for doing so.

*At which point, they would be in the debt of those countries.

Not the kind of situation the Burmese officials - if they're the power-hungry obssessive types i think they are - would want to be in.

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
cat 3/4 in Burma, give me a break, something is going on here and it's more than climate change IMO.

perhaps we can pound IRAN with a few cat 3/4's this summer? I wouldn't bet against this.

What it is? I have no strong concise opinion that satisfy's my curiousity, although HAARP is always a suspect.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

I know there is military rule in Myanmar; what is their problem in asking help when the situation is that bad? Pathetic rulers, they have no mercy on their citizens i guess. Hope they will change their mind and request for help.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Here's another story:

Cyclone plunges Myanmar into primitive existence
news.yahoo.com...

Older citizens said they had never seen Yangon, a city of some 6.5 million, so devastated in their lifetimes.

Our civilization and species is so fragile. We like to imagine ourselves as some kind of gods at times, but then reality has a wake up call.

Myanmar has been devastated. Hopefully we are able to help. Myanmar's government isn't exactly friendly or democratic. I hope in this time of disaster we can put aside our differences and work together to help those in need.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Enceladus

They'll change their mind after they've declared martial law and killed all the protestors, at which point it will be far too late for that.

edit;, however, judging from mikeboyd's post, things will not be getting that bad.

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Hmm, didn't the Chinese claim success with weather modification, supposedly to keep the skies clear for the Olympics?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Please update the title of this thread, Myanmar state Tv just released this

Myanmar cyclone death toll tops 10,000: foreign minister
news.yahoo.com...

YANGON (AFP) - More than 10,000 people have been killed in a tropical cyclone that struck Myanmar at the weekend, Foreign Minister Nyan Win told state television, adding that his nation would welcome international aid.

I was going to start a new thread with the new story, but the death toll is likely to even go higher.

[edit on 5/5/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Oh god look at this update

YANGON, Myanmar (CNN) -- The death toll from the Myanmar cyclone is more than 10,000 people, Myanmar's Foreign Ministry office said.

The government of neighboring Thailand said Myanmar's leaders had already requested food, medical supplies and construction equipment, AP reported. The first plane-load of supplies was due to arrive Tuesday, a Thai spokesman said.

Source

Happy to see them asking for help; more than 10000 people? thats one hell in Myanmar. Hope the victims will get some help at the earliest.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I am sorry I didn't see your post, else I wouldn't have posted my last entry; let us hope the victims will get what ever help they need. Very bad situation.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Here's another update

Myanmar says more than 10,000 killed in cyclone
www.afp.com...

YANGON (AFP) - Myanmar said Monday that more than 10,000 people had been killed in the cyclone that tore into the impoverished and secretive Asian nation at the weekend, and tens of thousands more may also have died.

Tens of thouands more may be dead. There is little food, fuel and water. The country has been devastated. Any disaster during the ongoing global energy and food crisis could turn into a major catastrophe.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Another Update:

Relief groups scramble to aid Myanmar

www.cnn.com

The United Nations is prepared to send "urgent humanitarian assistance," Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said, adding he is "very much alarmed by the incoming news" that the government anticipates the count of those killed in Friday's cyclone will top 10,000.

U.S. first lady Laura Bush, who has a long-standing interest in Myanmar, urged the government to allow the team into the country, saying she expected Washington would provide "substantial" aid if it could conduct its own assessment of the situation on the ground.

Why is the First Lady doing this? Shouldn't President Bush be handling the situation?

Also, this topic needs more stars and flags. Over 10,000 people dead is DEFINITELY news worthy here on ATS.

[edit on 5/5/2008 by SonicInfinity]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Terrible!

My thoughts are with the hard tried people of Myanmar.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Myanmar cyclone donations

Those wishing to donate to the people of the Myanmar in the wake of Cyclone Nargis can do so through the following charities:

World Vision
0800 800 776

TEAR Fund
0800 800 777 or by visiting www.tearfund.org.nz

Red Cross www.redcross.org.nz or at any New Zealand Red Cross office

Save the Children NZ
0800 167 168

Source

India sends two ships of relief material to cyclone-hit Myanmar

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>