It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multinationals make billions in profit out of growing global food crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Multinationals make billions in profit out of growing global food crisis

www.infowars.com

Giant agribusinesses are enjoying soaring earnings and profits out of the world food crisis which is driving millions of people towards starvation, The Independent on Sunday can reveal. And speculation is helping to drive the prices of basic foodstuffs out of the reach of the hungry.

...Monsanto last month reported that its net income for the three months up to the end of February this year had more than doubled over the same period in 2007, from $543m (£275m) to $1.12bn. Its profits increased from $1.44bn to $2.22bn.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Corporate greed at the expense of millions of lives. I really do wonder how people who work for companies like Monsanto can sleep at night.

The oil bubble and the food bubble have both been manufactured to funnel more money into the hands of the wealthy. Meanwhile the entire world is suffering.

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Starred and flagged.

Yup, first the inflated oil prices, and now the food. If these companies are making a killing, literally, can you imagine how much money is pouring into the world bank and the IMF.

I honestly belive that we have very little time left now. I hope 2012 is good news, because I think we are going to see hell on Earth before then. Probably within a year or so, we will see the collapse of the US as we know it, and there will probably be world war. I can just feel it now. I don't even need the signs pointing it out anymore.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Thats what pisses me off...Im all for businesses making profits cause hell Im a business owner. But the businesses that are vital to our national security and health and stuff that we have no choice in buying shouldnt be gouging and shouldnt be raking in record profits. I agree with Jack above things just do not feel good and I have never felt this way. Things just...well...I mean it just does not feel good no matter how much the government tries to spin it.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Well, Karl, it's not surprising to me anymore.

And you know how they sleep at night- in huge, top-of-the-line satin beds,
furnished with imported decor, lined with expensive art, marble masonry,
exotic hardwood floors, luxurious high-ceiling mansions in private,
secluded, gated communities; with high end surviellance and armed guards
patrolling. With servants & chefs who cater to their every whim!!!

Disgusting!

"Do you have any Gray Poupon?"

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Housing, oil, food, etc.... it's like they are all trying to out do one another in screwing the general public and showing each other how much the stupid sheeple will put up with, without doing anything about it.

And we just keep bending over further, reaching back and spreading both cheeks wide open...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

I believe some insight upon how these corporations and why these corporate "countries" profit from these artifical bubbles they create was given in a film entitled "The smartest men in the room"

en.wikipedia.org...:_The_Smartest_Guys_in_the_Room

I agree to a point with Jack in the Box.....time is short. I don't believe it will make much of a diff. who is the new President.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by RabbitChaser

And we just keep bending over further, reaching back and spreading both cheeks wide open...

Honestly, i compared something to showing up for a threesome and the other two start arguing among each other, and a statement like this one about 'spreading the cheeks' goes unnoticed?

Whatever.

Anyway, the only reason that these multi-national industries can get away with it is because they are protected by the governments supposed to be protecting us normal folk.

Blame people like Condi, who have damn oil tankers named after her (as if that isn't a [profanity] hint).

It's because we're made to feel that the Corporations are the enemy, and the Government is our rather idiotic guardian angels - i mean, wouldn't you just hate it if it turned out that BOTH the Corporations AND the Government were out to [profanity] the public, what kind of nightmare would that be?

Answer: One that you're not going to wake up from, no matter how hard you try.

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
like I said many times and many other members through all this crisis hitting our pockets here in the US nd hitting food supplies around the world, somebody is making big profits while the rest of us have to pay the piper.

[edit on 5-5-2008 by marg6043]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'd really just like to know what they are going to do with all the money after they have it....ALL!!

I mean hell at this point maybe we should just all send our cash to these corporations and get it over with to see what they are planning.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I think this is an important thread. Especially in light of the ongoing research towards creating seeds and GM foodstuffs that would limit us to 'corporate' sources. I just can't help but get upset by the eternally unanswered question "How much money is enough?" They seem to be willing , or even determined, to get it ALL. Then what?

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Then what?

Well, if no one has any money but them, they could probably just buy America.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You know Im out buying seeds to do my garden and seeds have jacked up big time..its like wtf I want to be self reliant and with the prices of seeds pfft. Im really starting to believe in that Codex whatever it is called to starve millions.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATruGod
I'd really just like to know what they are going to do with all the money after they have it....ALL!!

I mean hell at this point maybe we should just all send our cash to these corporations and get it over with to see what they are planning.

Yeah, I had wondered the same... It really does at this point seem like only a few special individuals are funneling all the money to themselves while the rest of the nation goes deeper into poverty... How much is enough? I mean, how much can one man/family possibly use??

mybigunit,
I suggested this before on one of jackinthebox's threads... Check out ebay for seeds. Many people who have been maintaining their own gardens for YEARS will sell some of their seeds.
Please think about what you might be getting, if you are buying your seeds in packets at the store. They could be tampered with, like Mansanto is doing with theirs, if you know what I mean.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I have not heard of any research which could feed into my 'paranoia' regarding the eventual 'seed' collapse that can be engineered by those who 'feed' the industry.

I don't have any factual knowledge that Monsanto and the rest of their 'world-conquering' ilk have made an effort to so 'influence' the ecosystem as to reduce the viability of farming without their direct involvement. Yet, there it is. Have I been brainwashed by the anti-corporation propaganda?

We know (much to the Monsanto corporate family's dismay) despite all the legal and marketeering efforts put forth; that they have suppressed the news of their disregard for public safety, and their undying lust for wealth.

We know that they have garnered every ounce of influence from their allies - the media owners, and from every public servant who would put themselves 'on sale.'

The truth is, whether they will do so or not, they are poised to launch the most abusive campaign of food control ever to have been conceived. Why wouldn't they? What could stop them from mastering the agro-consumer they same way the energy industry or the financial industry made us their 'b*tches'?

It won't be as simple as "grow you own vegetables," because with a third of the world population living in cities, that just can't happen.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

the days of soviet era were great

USA is the reason of the ruin of the world

[edit on 5-5-2008 by BrezhnevX]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

This is the basic underlying principle of Supply and Demand. As investors seek to hide money in Grains, rice, and other crops, the prices rise. Then countries began closing borders afraid that another Irish Famine could occur where a country produces enough food to feed her people, but exports it all away to other countries. In short, it was actually the closing of national borders and a end to rice and grain trades that contributed the largest spike in prices. If countries like Indonesia cannot produce enough, yet cannot import because big producers like India stopped all trade.. well supply and demand says prices will soar.

Will companies profit? Yeah, they will, that's the nature of the game. However, what is more unsettling is how nervous the world markets are. If a drought can cause a world wide food crises, imagine how fragile the current world markets are? People are jittery, at the first sign of trouble the worlds largest food exporters shut their borders and refused to open themselves to risk. Countries like India will loose billions in lost sales, however, because food prices are soaring, profits will be made up.

HOWEVER, where companies WILL loose money .. the farmers may have made bank off of the current food crisis, however, it could get much worse. Farmers will now need to buy grains and seeds to plant new crops.. if the price of food double, the price of seed doubles. If the price of seed doubles, some farmers will go bankrupt. That decreases supply production. This causes more inflation. The farmers that will be left will raise the price at a margin to bring in profits. The food processing plants will jack the price of food to pay off the difference to the rise in raw goods, then of course Oil, because as the markets continue their volatile nature, oil will continue to rise.

Food prices fluctuating so drastically is usually a sign of how the current market really is. If it's going up and down, but mostly up, the economy is in trouble. I can think of only a handful of times in American history where the food and produce markets where inflated beyond reason, and those where during times of great economic hardship.

I don't blame corporations though. Sure, they play their part, but in the end it really is just the nature of the market. We are in a time where we walk a tight rope with a long fall to the bottom. So far, the Reserve banks around the world have held things together, barely, but this food problem is evidence to how serious the problem really is. When the largest exporters of produce shut their doors to the world for self preservation ..... That is not a good sign at all.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

yeah, big oil co. and blackwater , always in profit

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
like I said many times and many other members through all this crisis hitting our pockets here in the US nd hitting food supplies around the world, somebody is making big profits while the rest of us have to pay the piper.

[edit on 5-5-2008 by marg6043]

That "somebody" who is profiting is me. And probably you. And the millions upon millions of others around the world who own mutual funds.

Investing 101 says to diversify, and a common investment strategy is to purchase "index funds". I happen to have some money invested in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund which again, is a very popular mutual fund. Guess what stock this mutual fund owns? Monsanto. Haliburton. And 3613 other companies.

This means that I own a small, really, really, really small portion of Monsanto and Haliburton. I bet most of the people on this board do as well and don't even realize it. So the people profitting are me and anyone else who owns a portion of this company in their investment portfolio. Until people are willing to part with thier mutual funds, 401(k) plans, pension plans that invest in the market, etc., nothing will REALLY be done. I don't like what some of these companies do either, and I'm looking at other investment options, but you have to be careful about who you attack, as you may well discover that you are your own worst enemy.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
If the people of America are willing to put up with their leaders being in bed with big corporations and conducting foreign affairs, apparently, in order to boast larger profits for these corporations, I don't know why they'd object to anyone else doing such.

George W. Bush comes from an oil tycoon based family and, as President, invaded one of the most oil-rich countries in the world. Dick Cheney, being in bed with Haliburton, shares the same interests, yet takes it a step further with his involvement with Root & Brown and Middle-Eastern, as well as European, government issued construction contracts to that corporation.

This is no different. People making money off other's misery.

Capitalism was a great idea, but has proven an even greater failure. Much like Communism .. it's too easily corruptible.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join