It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OH! You're one of those, Conspiracy Theorists.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If I only had a nickle for every time I've heard that...

What really constitutes a conspiracy theorist?
Why are we all the way we are, with beliefs different from mainstream? Is it in our DNA somewhere? A switch turned on at conception? Is it a sign of the times? A bandwagon that we jumped on? Is it a higher awareness that began with a choice few, and is spreading?
Wiki states this..
en.wikipedia.org...

The 10 Wackiest theories..according to this site..
www.2spare.com...

I believe most of those are our best...

This site, is just plain rude in it's description of conspiracy theorists.

0 characteristics of conspiracy theorists
A useful guide by Donna Ferentes

1. Arrogance. They are always fact-seekers, questioners, people who are trying to discover the truth: sceptics are always "sheep", patsies for Messrs Bush and Blair etc.

2. Relentlessness. They will always go on and on about a conspiracy no matter how little evidence they have to go on or how much of what they have is simply discredited. (Moreover, as per 1. above, even if you listen to them ninety-eight times, the ninety-ninth time, when you say "no thanks", you'll be called a "sheep" again.) Additionally, they have no capacity for precis whatsoever. They go on and on at enormous length.

3. Inability to answer questions. For people who loudly advertise their determination to the principle of questioning everything, they're pretty poor at answering direct questions from sceptics about the claims that they make.

4. Fondness for certain stock phrases. These include Cicero's "cui bono?" (of which it can be said that Cicero understood the importance of having evidence to back it up) and Conan Doyle's "once we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth". What these phrases have in common is that they are attempts to absolve themselves from any responsibility to produce positive, hard evidence themselves: you simply "eliminate the impossible" (i.e. say the official account can't stand scrutiny) which means that the wild allegation of your choice, based on "cui bono?" (which is always the government) is therefore the truth.

Link- www.urban75.org...

And this little number, even though the source is not well liked..it is a great article..

Everyone has heard, and has probably used the term "conspiracy theorist," and the fact of the term being in common use, also indicates that we generally agree on what it means. I saw a movie by that name, and the title character was a raving lunatic who kept his food in thermoses with combination locks to reduce his chances of being poisoned by imaginary enemies.[

Regardless of how the stupid movie turned out, what's important here is the common perception people have of someone to whom that label is applied, and just as important, is who it is that applies the label. The common perception is that someone who is labeled a "conspiracy theorist" is suffering from some type of psychological disorder, and that label is usually applied to people by our government, and our news media. The next thing to consider, is that the label is applied to anyone who questions our government's version of events in any matter. Doesn't it logically follow that the media are teaching us to assume that anyone who questions the government is insane? When that label is applied to a person, doesn't it become easy to dismiss everything they say without even hearing it? How convenient for them.

Continued next post....

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 4-5-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Continued..

I think the label first became widely used to slander people who questioned the details surrounding the JFK assassination, and forty years later, there aren't too many thinking people who still believe the Warren Commission's "lone gunman" explanation. That explanation is doubted by everyone who has taken the time to look into the details, and believed only by people who refuse to.

Which is "theory" and which is fact? In the absence of a full confession, this can only be decided by a preponderance of evidence, and it would be silly to come to a conclusion on any matter without looking at all the evidence available. This is only common sense, just as it is safe to assume some degree of guilt or complicity on the part of anyone who lies about an event, or tries to hide, plant, or destroy any type of evidence.

Conspiracy theories arise from evidence. After the government releases an explanation of a particular event, a conspiracy theory is only born because evidence exists to disprove their explanation, or at least call it into question. There's nothing insane about it, unless you define sanity as believing whatever the government tells you. In light of the fact that our government lies to us regularly, I would define believing everything they tell you as utter stupidity.

www.rense.com...

Thoughts..observations...please.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Well I consider myself a conspiracy theorist. Why? Because I dont consider the way I automatically think is mainstream. It is pretty extreme compared to say, my cousin in Ohio, or my coworkers. Not everyone will entertain a CT. I dont change the way I talk about subjects, but I dont want to get into arguments with strangers either. Most of the time it is a nice hobby, and food for thought.

I think a lot of mainstream thinkers use the CT label to make people look dumb who do not follow mainstream ideals.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I think a lot of mainstream thinkers use the CT label to make people look dumb who do not follow mainstream ideals.

Exactly. It has become like a four letter word in society to be called a conspiracy theorist. Like we are beneath all the 'Sheep" BAAAAAAA

Is it a good trade off, to be frowned upon by most, in the effort to gain knowledge most people scoff at?

Has anyone ever been teased about their beliefs?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Some people are scared of change and people who think outside the box... CT'rs probably do a bit more thinking outside the 'baaah box'

I've had a small amount of crap at me from workmates but have always backed up responses/statements and answers with facts... so they get it stuck to them right back

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

But do they believe what you are saying, or walk away shaking their heads and whispering about your mental problems???
Have you been able to convince people of any theories and they came around to accepting them as possible fact?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I am called a "moonbat" or "dumbass" whenever I bring up the topic of 9/11, aliens, Federal Reserve, or NWO.

First you have the group that know the Government is awful, but these people blame this on "ineptness." All of our troubles, from the economy to Iraq, are blamed on Bush being an idiot. They know the bull# the government does, yet they never connect the dots. They just keep on using the "Bush is stoopid" excuse, and the "he'll be gone in a couple months" logic. These people also vote for Ron Paul, just don't look at the "bigger picture."

Then you have the group who just ridicule you left and right, becuase they are too stupid to open their eyes. They are the people that still trust our government, and believe they are for the people. These people also believe Oswald was the sole shooter.

So you have the "sheeple" and then the "informed but closed minded." The "sheeple" are a hazard to our freedoms, and the "informed but closed minded" are just too arogant to look at the bigger picture.

Edit: You show people quotes, documentaries, pictures, former conspiracies that are TRUE, eyewitness testimony, respectable professional truthers questioning 9/11, omissions/lies from the "OFFICIAL story of 9/11," articles, etc.. You show these people all kinds of information that should at least open their minds to "hmm, maybe," but they continue to look down on you and call you names.

These people range from absolute "sheeple" to people who agree with people like Ron Paul. They just close their minds off to anything that is "out of the norm." Ron Paul isn't above thinking 9/11 was an inside job, so why the # are you so high-and-mighty to think our government wouldn't be behind it? If the guy you support at least opens his mind to the suggestion, why don't you?

Edit 2: Also, you show people all this information, and they immediately come back and say "tin foil hat," "moonbat," "nutjob," etc... WITHOUT EVER LOOKING AT THE GOD DAMN INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!! Stop talking down to me if you can't even bother to do any kind of research, or at least look over the information I (and all other "truthers") supply.

[edit on 4-5-2008 by Double Eights]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I really dont catch much crap, but that's because I don't talk about it. If those who do not seek to find truth want to make fun of those who do, let them. *adjusts tin hat* That's better...

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
I really dont catch much crap, but that's because I don't talk about it. If those who do not seek to find truth want to make fun of those who do, let them. *adjusts tin hat* That's better...

At first I tried to talk about things with others, but um ..yeah..the weird looks, the comments like..
"Honey you need to get out more, and off that computer."
PFFFT!

And I think I look very good in silver tin foil. It matches well with black. lol

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I have maybe one or two friends that I can talk to about stuff, but otherwise I would be taking crap and such.

Yes, the tin hats have many uses. Keep aliens, and the government out of your mind, increase the quality of your radio reception...

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
^^^^exactly!^^^^^
I search for my own answers. If my coworkers want to live under a rock, it is their business. If asked my opinion, I give it. If they push the issue, I just give a shrug a drop it. If I tried to convert the unwashed masses, it would be a life long job. I do not wish to spend my life like that. I think the converts come along soon after an I TOLD YOU SO moment smacks them in the head.

We are not the world's parents.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I certainly wasn't born a conspiracy theorist, but I have become one along the way. I don't think it is a matter of genes, but rather having had a moment of clarity in my past that opened my eyes to the way things might really be. And believe it or not, but conspiracy theories have also made me more discerning and skeptical along the way. I am open for the truth, whether it fits my preconceived notions or not.

link   
Oh, I cannot wait until I the "I told you so" moment occurs.

Yes, I do not want the conspiracies to be true, as they absolutely destroy our country. But I also want them to be true so I can yell a nice "# you" to all those who ridiculed me for paying attention.

link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

Yes, the tin hats have many uses. Keep aliens, and the government out of your mind, increase the quality of your radio reception...

Yes..but if I open my mouth and I hear the ATS MIX spewing forth...
I'll FREAK OUT!!!!!

[edit on 4-5-2008 by AccessDenied]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I think I would stop wearing one if ATS mix started playing in my head all the time...

Just kidding..I love you Dave and Johnny..

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by William One Sac

And believe it or not, but conspiracy theories have also made me more discerning and skeptical along the way.

This is very true William. When I first began reading up on many theories, from David Icke, to Skull and bones , to MK ultra, to aliens and UFO's..
I blindly believed most of what I read to be 100% fact.
My time on ATS has shown me the error of those ways. While Iam open to new theories and Ideas, I do always carry a salt shaker just in case.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness

I think I would stop wearing one if ATS mix started playing in my head all the time...

Just kidding..I love you Dave and Johnny..

Well then people would really be looking at you funny, because you would be laughing at loud at things no one else was hearing, unless you opened your mouth!
My gosh the looks you would get then!
If only I could rig a tin foil hat to harness the satellite radio stations I like.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Excellent thread AD. An important question you raise.
I do not think it is inherent. However my parents may have had something to do with thinking for myself and seeing the world as it is rather than how many are blinded into percieving it.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Excellent thread AD. An important question you raise.
I do not think it is inherent. However my parents may have had something to do with thinking for myself and seeing the world as it is rather than how many are blinded into percieving it.

Very good point Antar. Does anyone discuss conspiracy theories with their parents or siblings?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Half the time, I will start to laugh randomly at something, because I think of funny stuff all the time, and my friends will look at me and say 'wtf?' or something.

If I could have it set to where it plays all the stupid crap Dubya says, I'll be set.

But back on topic, it could be hereditary. Both of my parents would fit in nice at ATS.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join