It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raiders of the lost Ark

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm watching 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark' on BBC1 at the moment and something momentarily caught my attention...

If you have ever watched the movie, Indy infiltrates the dig-site at Tannis and lowers himself into a site called 'The Well of Souls' and uses a medallion atop a staff to determine the location of the Ark...

On this one occaision of watching the movie (and I have seen it many many times as it is one of my top 5 films) when Indy is in the 'Map Room' and the rays of the sun strike the medallion to indicate the Ark's resting place, the words "Nicht Sturm" appear either side of the beam of light that indicate the site to dig for the Ark, and in all the times I have seen the film, this is the first time I have EVER seen these words...

Is there an over-dubbing-political/social-agenda that have been inserted into later screenings of the film??

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Nicht Sturm translates as " Not Storm" not to sure if this helps any.
Funny here in New Zealand they were play raiders of the lost Ark on Sunday as well????

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
Nicht Sturm translates as " Not Storm" not to sure if this helps any.

From what I can remember of my high-school German language lessons, it would translate to 'not to storm' as in...'do not take militarily' but why would this be added to the current television screening of the movie as an edit rather than the original cinema version that I saw?

[edit on 4-5-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It's always been there.

When the video was first released, back in the early 80's (and cost about US$80), I remember pausing it during the scene you described, trying to figure out what the writing said.

F

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
And I watched it on DVD this evening.

And it says "Nicht stören" which means "Do not disturb".

I know, if the Nazis were going to scribble on ancient sites, they should've at least made it more legible.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It's funny you bring this up. I too within the last 2 weeks watched Raider's. What a great movie...

Is there an over-dubbing-political/social-agenda that have been inserted into later screenings of the film??

I remember taking notice to the writting but I'm not sure about the dubbing. Are you talking about 3:08 on this video?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hasn't Raiders recently been digitally re-processed--to remove things like the reflection of the cobra in the glass?

I wonder of the red-writing might've been tweaked somehow, to make it more visible. Maybe not, just thinking out loud.

F

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue dome
it says "Nicht stören" which means "Do not disturb".

But why would that 'edit' be added to the video/DVD versions after it had been originally screened at the cinema without? thats what puzzles me....why add that 'Nicht stören' text and for what reason?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fuggle

Hasn't Raiders recently been digitally re-processed--to remove things like the reflection of the cobra in the glass?

That was still there in the scene in the version shown on UK TV tonight ..along with the sand piled up against the glass sheet so you you see that there was a glass-divide between Indy and the snake

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
Are you talking about 3:08 on this video?

That is exactly the point in the film I mean! Good work!

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
That is an interesting seen indeed. I always wondered why there were wires, like a fence strung around the building as well. I speculate that is the place were the Nazi's determined the resting place of the ark was. I remember a seen in the movie were they determined that the staff had to be a certain height in order to get the exact place. "There digging in the wrong place! "

I hope this post makes sense.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The only thing that was dubbed were the German voices of the Nazis for all the non-German soundtracks (they sounded like Russians in the original track), but I believe the writing has been in there since the original release.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Uh, there is no coincidence that this is being shown in different parts of the world at the sametime. You guys do know that there is a new film out soon, right?

As for the change with the wording, if it was one, newly remastered footage highlights thing that youdidn;t notice before oraddsin stuff that they wanted in the first place but for whatever reason couldn;t etc. No mystery here...

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The writing has always been there. You just see it better now since the original film has been cleaned up. They're also showing the films a lot on TV right now since the new movie is coming out.

The cobras reflection has been cleaned up a bit, but you can still see the sand and other stuff that's laying against the glass. That always did bug me anytime I've watched it.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
this is not uncommon i have notice many details watching a movie for the 4th or 5th time that i hadent noticed the first time. after you have seen a flick two or three times you start noticing more details. happens to me all the time.

top topics

join