It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

weapons training (UK)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Although there are numorous laws against guns in the UK there is no excuse for not learning how to shoot properly.

I recently took my girlfriend out shooting, and I am so proud of her for doing so amazingly well.

She scored got 4 out of 5 clays with a shotgun, scored very impressivly with iron sights at 300 yards with a rifle, and did rather well with a .22 rimfire rifle on moving targets.

As for myself I managed to get a v-bull on the 1000yard range, a v-bull is the very center of a bull - which is about the size of the end of a can of coke - which isnt bad at 1000yards(about half a mile)!

I was also privilaged to get to shoot a Dragunov russian sniper rifle, which unsurprising got me a v-bull on only a 300yard range. (I have to admit I dont really like russian weapons, having shot an ak-47 before).

Anyway the point of this post was to tell UK people that you should get out there and learn to shoot, and shoot acuratly before its too late!

Heres a pic of me with the Dragunov

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

Where did you go FC, was it Bisley?

MR

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yeah - just up the road from us so we go there a fair bit.

bugger how do I make this not a one liner?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by freakyclown

Where did you go for this? and how much did it cost per person? I'd love to have a day at the ranges to 'get my eye in'

U2U me with info if need be

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

CS,

Depending what your loonking for and where in the country you live there are many rifle ranges and clay target clubs. Most cater for absolute beginners right up to olympic standard. My clay club is regularly attended by seasoned professionals and beginners alike.

If it's rifle shooting your after may be best to start here: www.nra.org.uk...

If it's clay targets your looking to have a go at:
www.cpsa.co.uk...

Feel free to PM me any questions too.

MR

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Any weapon training's good, but where you gonna get a gun in 'sit x' if you don't already have one?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by PeaceUk

Unknown to most is that there are plenty of weapons available in the UK, either legally or illegally. There is a shop round the corner from my house where I can buy a .22 or a shotgun (admittedly with a license) but in SitX, I could just forgo the need for a license and just take one.

If you know the right people, many more weapons become available.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Just as a suggestion for survivalists in the UK, how about a crossbow? Not only would they be easier to maintain than a complex rifle/shotgun the ammunition for it would be much easier to get than ammunition over here. Add to that they're legal for anyone over the age of 17.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Just as a suggestion for survivalists in the UK, how about a crossbow? Not only would they be easier to maintain than a complex rifle/shotgun the ammunition for it would be much easier to get than ammunition over here. Add to that they're legal for anyone over the age of 17.

I was actually looking into this only last night. For around £200 you can buy a very powerful crossbow. And like you say, they are legal to anyone over the age of 17.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
1000 yards -- a riteous shot. Most people cannot let out their breath at the right moment to stop their own movement to even come close to such a hit. Prone position, flexors rigid, but not locked, a duality of push-pull -- an analogy of the Weaver stance, only prone.

Shooting is one of the primary things I really miss about living where I do. We knew we'd have to give it up to move here, and, yes, did anyway. I was nationally ranked at one time, and sometimes even in my dreams, I reach over in that bass-ackwards way that left-handers throw the bolt. Having learned that way, I don't think I could ever effectively shoot a rifle with a left-hand throw, any more than I could make music with a guitar strung left-handed.

I agree with previous poster...... if you're considering a SitX..... the crossbow, or compound, or recurve is superior in many ways... stealth being one of them. I favor a common recurve. Simple, replaceable, no gears or pullys to wear out, just you and the bow...... holding the shot, controlling your bodily reaction to stress, finding the sweet spot, a relaxing of the fingertips and release, never certain of the exact moment it happens.

I don't know about where you live, but there t'ain't a 3/8" dowel to be found around here ANYwhere. Some rat went and bought them all, along with duct tape for fletching and squirrelled them away. Rats.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by argentus]

top topics

join