It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9/11 memorial draws protest.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
A planned memorial for those who lost thier lives on Flight 93 on 9/11, has drawn much critisism from family members and others opposed to design details of the monument.

PITTSBURGH -- More than six years after 9-11, the debate over a design rages on in Somerset County.

At issue is the design of the permanent memorial for those who died on United Flight 93.

On Saturday, supporters and opponents met face to face to make their case.

At a Memorial Advisory Committee meeting in Somerset, a petition against the design was presented with about 5,000 signatures on it.

But the meeting got emotional for those both for and against the memorial.

"It is truly unfortunate that I come to you a third time to warn you that you are making a terrible mistake to move the memorial into construction," Bill Steiner said.

Steiner's signature is alongside thousands of others on the petition aimed to changed the design of the Flight 93 memorial for those who lost their lives in the plane crash in Somerset County.

The opposition said the set-up of the memorial is too similar to an Islamic crescent, which they said they find as a slap in the face to the passengers who died.

Source:Flight 93 memorial draws protest

The other design issues being debated, are that the monument will be built facing towards Mecca, and that there will be 44 glass stones built into the monument......thats 40 for the passengers who died that day.......and 4 for the terrorists that allegedly hijacked the plane.

To a degree, i can see how the Islamic issue might cause offence due to the nature of how these people died. Surely the family of those who died should have a say in what goes up?

As for which way it faces, is it really that difficult to change it to face a different direction? It may have been unintentional anyway. Theres a 1 in 4 chance that thats gonna happen is'nt it.

The glass stones though. What other monuments have the names of the terrorists on them, alongside the victims?

Unless the US goverment asked for them to be included, as recognition for the way they helped in the big plan.

CX.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yes there are some design controverises. As with anything. Here is some more information you may find interesting.

You stated this CX:

The other design issues being debated, are that the monument will be built facing towards Mecca,

It also faces the vatican. Don't you think the non-Catholilc families should be upset?

CX:

To a degree, i can see how the Islamic issue might cause offence due to the nature of how these people died. Surely the family of those who died should have a say in what goes up?

CX, more than 1,000 entries were submitted in the design selelction. In February 2005, five finalists were selected for further development and consideration. The 15-member final jury included family members, design and art professionals, and community and national leaders. After three days of review and debate, they announced the winner on September 7, 2005: Crescent of Embrace by a design team led by Paul and Milena Murdoch of Los Angeles.

The architect asserts that this is coincidental and that there was no intent to refer to Muslim symbols. He actually agreed to modifications. Look it up. as there have been some.

CX:

and that there will be 44 glass stones built into the monument......thats 40 for the passengers who died that day.......and 4 for the terrorists that allegedly hijacked the plane.

Where is your source for the 44 stones?

The design features a "Tower of Voices," containing 40 wind chimes — one for each passenger and crew member who died. Two stands of red maple trees would line a walkway following the natural bowl shape of the land. Forty groves of red and sugar maples and eastern white oak trees were to be planted behind the crescent. A black slate wall would mark the edge of the crash site, where the victims are buried.

The governmnet actually apposed ANY of the hijackers memorialized. Heck even the temporary fence is 40 feet high The final bill bill for the memorial specifically excluded the four hijackers from the passengers to be memorialized. When signed by President George W. Bush on September 24, 2002, it became Public Law No. 107-226, and the site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

oh, and you left out this part of the article:

Discussing the fateful day brought back a lot of memories for some. Many who lost loved ones in the crash said they're outraged and offended by the petition.

"I would not support any design that would support Muslims or anything of that kind. I'm in this because I want to honor my husband's memory. I'm in this because this was not in honor of anybody else the land speaks for itself. In the shape of a bowl, there's nothing we can do about that," Sandy Felt, whose husband died on in the crash, said.

CX

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I left loads more out from the article, not just that bit, it's against ATS rules to quote a whole article i do believe. Or was there a particular point in highlightling that specific section?

There are tons of sources out there that claim that the 44 glass bricks are to be part of the planned design, just news articles fair enough, but heres one such article anyway.

Opponents also claim there is a plan to have 44 glass blocks — for the 40 victims and four hijackers — in the design.

Source: Flight 93 families want memorial controversy to end

If all the many sites that have spoken of these glass bricks are wrong, i apologise. Many news sources, well known and less well known have reported on this, all of which we just have to judge for ourselves whether or not it's true or not.

Just the messenger guys, just the messenger.

Whilst we are on the subject of Flight 93, where is that thread from ATS recently where the released files proved it was shot down?

Could'nt find it.

CX.

[edit on 4/5/08 by CX]

CX

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Double post.

CX.

[edit on 4/5/08 by CX]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I left loads more out from the article, not just that bit, it's against ATS rules to quote a whole article i do believe. Or was there a particular point in highlightling that specific section?

The article you mention in your OP stated that family member were also UPSET about the petitions. A little hit of the google button would also provide you with facts. Not jibber jabber from truther sites that rely on false information.

There are tons of sources out there that claim that the 44 glass bricks are to be part of the planned design, just news articles fair enough, but heres one such article anyway.

Who are the sources? Look up the law that was put in place that I posted above regards the Memorial plans NOT having anythign to do with the hijackers. Look up the design plans that were voted on by some of the family members.

If all the many sites that have spoken of these glass bricks are wrong, i apologise. Many news sources, well known and less well known have reported on this, all of which we just have to judge for ourselves whether or not it's true or not.

what is there to judge? Look at the website where the plans are presneted.

Whilst we are on the subject of Flight 93, where is that thread from ATS recently where the released files proved it was shot down?

Could'nt find it.

CX.

Never knew there was a thread. And there weren't any files released that prove that debunked theory.

top topics

join