It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roll yer own!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
This is a book about the subject at hand:

I have not read this yet, but I am thinking about getting it.

source

Peace

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Those cigars look too perfectly constructed to be made by an amateur!

Was that book written by a professional torcedor?

(sorry for derailing the thread)

Very good idea to grow tobacco for/ in sitX it must be said... tobacco is one of the few items which can be bartered at very high value due to its addictive nature!

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Yes, I believe he did roll them. Nice huh? I’d smoke ‘em!
He also has the cigar rolling forms available too!

Here is a review done by RYO magazine.

RYO Magazine review of Seedman.com (Jim Johnson)

Enter the Seedman. This is the only site we've found that really has a serious section dedicated to growing one's own tobacco, including all the seeds, supplies, flavorings and equipment one needs to eventually become a self-sufficient tobacco grower. The Seedman is Jim Johnson, a highly respect purveyor of a large variety of seeds most of which have nothing at all to do with tobacco. Jim's expertise as a horticulturist is recognized and sought after by governments, universities and farmers, amateurs and professionals alike. His website is huge and though only a small percentage of the site is dedicated to tobacco, this small percentage provides a nearly overwhelming amount of information on the subject. We will only briefly share with you what you will find at Seedman.com, which should be more than enough to pique your interest. The bottom line (already?) is that you can successfully grow, cure and shred (cut) tobacco in your back yard with minimal startup expense.

I noticed that you are in the UK.
The man that makes the vids. On how to grow tobacco, is in the UK!
Mr. A.B. Daly

Same source:

The Seedman provides a wide variety (lots) of tobacco seeds as well as growing kits complete with video taped guides to successful tobacco growing. These videos, by A.B. Daly from the UK are entertaining and quickly illustrate the point that even in less than ideal weather conditions as found in the UK, tobacco cultivation is pretty simple.

Peace

edit to correct the spelling of Mr. Daly's name

[edit on 6-5-2008 by Zeptepi]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Dude...I smoke.....and I found the very premise of your post to be ridiculous.

If you're heading for the hills in a crisis situation, SHTF, I don't really think you're going to stop mid-way and think, "man, I really need a smoke". There will (hopefully) be so much adreneline pumping through your body that a nicotine fix will be the last thing on your mind.
Not to mention, if you're going to be traveling long distances on foot, smoking will do nothing but hurt you.

Not telling you to quit. Not saying smoking bothers me. Just saying, if you're sitting around wondering what you're going to do about cigarettes in a time of crisis, perhaps you should just stock up now, make sure you've got a comfy recliner and an big screen Tv, and puff away from the comfort of your home while you watch the world come down around you on the evening news...

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DOcean

For some a crisis is the worse time not to have a smoke. If things got real bad and cigarettes were not available then the best thing to do is quit, but for some and maybe even me it's a hard habit to break. I'd rather have a smoke whether it's rolled, home grown, store bought. So to have a bag of tobacco and at least some papers is a good thing to calm a smoker's nerves in a crisis. Not to mention that it's cheaper than buying twenty cigarettes in a box.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
What common medical ailments does tobacco treat? I'm only aware of constipation and IBS. I'm finding it's used to treat neurological problems like tourettes, schizophrenia, and alzheimers, but that's not something most people suffer from.

I can vouch first-hand for the ability of tobacco to help against bug and spider bites. Back when I smoked, I'd heard that if you take wet tobacco and hold it against a bug bite, it'll stop hurting. They weren't kidding. I got bit by a spider, crushed up a cig, put it in a napkin, wet it in the water fountain, and held it against the bite. The swelling stopped, went down, and the pain went away.

Less than a year later, my sister got bit by a spider. She didn't smoke so I lent her one of mine and had her do the same thing. She managed to get a niccotine high just off the wet cigarette tobacco against her skin. So, as a warning to non-smokers, I wouldn't do this in a situation where you needed a clear-head, such as an emergency. It'll make you a tad dizzy and over-relaxed to be able to handle a crisis situation. In a non-crisis though, it's even better than Chigger-Ex (which is Benzoacaine, if I'm not mistaken).

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

Wow, that’s pretty good thing to know.
I will have to try this next time a critter bites.
Thanks.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yep, I'll second the advisement to step up to a Top-O-Matic. Don't let price scare you, but when just sitting around to pop out a quick one to five, I still reach for the old handy Zig-Zag. Cost me about $3.50 when I bought it. Well made and has a smooth action due to age.

The only real downside to the Top-O-Matic is the space required, but you can really crank out a pile of coffin nails in short order with little fatigue. Personally, I become bored after 30-45 minutes of production and have very full ziplock baggie anyways.

In a Sit-X, the Zig-Zag comes first due to space and weight. But if you have a good fort to hold down, and large stock of supplies, the Top-O-Matic would be ideal. Since a sandwich baggie of 20 filtered cigs will be some large barter...maybe even 2-3 days worth of food or some new shoes or a set of clothes in value. Either way, you can pretty much find a friend pretty easy by talking over a cigarette break.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Wow, so much great info! Thanks to everyone who answered. I was out of town for a bit longer than usual, so let me catch up...

reply to post by ChilledVoodoo

A pipe, eh? Not a bad idea, and something I might look into. When I was a teenager, I made a corncob pipe out of an actual corncob, a plug of wood, and a piece of bamboo (probably a lot like Mekanik's). It worked pretty good for a while, but I guess I just like the old cancer-sticks.

reply to post by 5ealchris

A five year supply should be sufficient, I think. Surely in that length of time, either someone will start making them again, or I will have enough warning to make another corn-cob pipe and switch habits.

reply to post by Shar_Chi

Hadn't thought about coffee, really, but that's another thing for a lot of folks to consider. Me, I prefer Mountain Dew (more caffeine) but that's something I'd just have to get along without. Can't have everything.

reply to post by Zeptepi

Wow, thanks for the links, especially to the DIY Kiln!
I'll be checking that out asap!

reply to post by DOcean

I'm assuming you're in a situation where you'd be running from SitX. Me, I'd be waiting while it ran to me. Be nice to have a smoke while I'm waiting.

A little quick advice: don't be where the SHTF when the SHTF...

reply to post by thelibra

We have been using tobacco compresses for bites as long as I can remember, Using vinegar instead of water seems to make it help a bit more, too. I never thought about using it for chiggers though, great idea! Chigger-Id is kinda pricey.

Off topic, but since a mod brought it up...
... If you want to keep chiggers off you, just wipe a little kerosene on the cuff of your pants. Makes the dern little buggers run the other way.
And while I'm thinking of it, mosquitos and other biting pests will generally leave a smoker be, something to do with the nicotine not agreeing with them.

As for the posters who recommended the expensive machines, I got the same advice form a couple of trucker friends. It might cost a bit more to start, but it's worth it in the long run. I still don't know how many plants I will need, but it may be on Zeptepi's links. Thanks again to everyone for the info!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
UPDATE

Well, I took the first half of the leap. I am now rolling my own filtered smokes. I have found a few things that might help others who want to try this:

I ordered mine from www.stuffyourown.com... . I got the Premier Supermatic machine, and it works like a charm! I can roll up a pack in about 20-30 minutes now (after some practice).

They claim the full flavor is comparable to Marlboro (which was my brand). It is not. It is better! I am smoking less actually than I did before with the manufactured cancer sticks, and they taste soooo much better! The wife is happy too, since she likes the smell of the fresh tobacco.

The cigarette case that comes with the starter kit is a bit crappy. It only holds about 14 cigarettes. I'm sure I can come up with a solution to that problem though.

The biggest problem I had with rolling is that the directions were a bit unclear as to some details. I pack the corners pretty tightly, then loosely pack the middle. When you complete the handle rotation, the cigarette will push off the sleeve a bit (I tried to hold it there at first; don't do this
). I simply grab the paper end of the cigarette and hold it while I bring the handle back around and it's rolled perfectly.

The smokes do not burn as evenly at the filter as the commercial ones, so be aware that occasionally a few ashes (and fire) may fall prematurely. So far, no major fires.

Now to get my tobacco plants started. I found some rule-of-thumb info on the plant yields, and I am figuring about 50-75 plants should keep me (and any bums
) happy forever. That's for a 1.5-2 pack per day habit, figured very liberally, so adjust yours accordingly. Unfortunately I did not get my plants started in time for this year's garden, so hopefully the planet won't explode before next fall.

Thanks for the info and moral support to try this out!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I smoke roll-ups. I always have, I don't really like pack-bought ones.

I've never thought about growing my own tobacco before, but this has piqued my interest. It's a great idea! I think I will buy a pipe (can girls smoke pipes? Meh, this one can) and see how I like that. Then, maybe invest in some seeds.

I think the trading potential is sky-high!

Good thinking, Holmes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join