www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

A fishing bird -
www.youtube.com...

A Spearfishing orang-utan -
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Whats going on??? is this normal?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Flag & Starred just for the elephant video. That is simply too awesome!

Jon

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

Could it be that mankind is becoming more "enlightened" - so much so that it's actually starting to pay due attention to other living beings...?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Awesome videos, but I doubt it has anything to do with the animals becoming smarter or more enlightened.

Due to the increasing penetration of cameras in our society and the near omnipresence of us humans these days we are able to capture more and more 'smart' behaviour of animals on film to show the rest of the world.

The elephants painting is stunning, but says more about the patience and skill of its trainers than the fluid intelligence and self awareness of the elephant in my opinion.

[edit on 4/5/08 by Symer]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Or could it be that mankind is getting dumber and therefore the animals just seem smarter by comparison??

All kidding aside that elephant is fantastic!!

And my dog has been pretty amazing lately.......he recently alerted us to a huge snake that had gotten into the house, and 'knew' the old horse had escaped the pasture !

[edit on 4-5-2008 by frayed1]

[edit on 4-5-2008 by frayed1]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Symer

You could say the same thing about humans. We are trained to paint among other things. Painting is a skill and that Elephant has more skill than many people I know.

To me the really fascinating stories are the ones where the animals adapted to our tools.

Like primates learning sign language and then teaching their young.
Orangutans being given wood, hammers, and nails and using them to actually build. Chimps given matches, marshmallows, and twigs and actually building a fire and roasting marshmallows.

To me those are the really amazing stories.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
google for smart animals on youtube / google vid ..

there is one out there of a badger picking up a 2x4 board.. and putting it into position, then using it as a ramp to crawl out of captivity.

theres another which is similar to the fishing bird.. but it's of a duck taking bread crumbs and feeding them to carp fish .. just to be nice.. or for entertainment i guess

-

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

The elephant, when given an easel and a brush, will paint the same picture over and over again until its trainers teach it a new set of trunk movements. That isn't really comparable to human painting skills which consist of more than a trained and reinforced series of arm movements, though I won't argue the elephants picture is prettier than any elephant I would draw.

Animals continue to amaze me though, don't get me wrong. The chimps and the badger are beautiful to watch. I even once saw a hippo rescue an antelope from a crocodile and actually trying to resuscitate it by breathing into its mouth when it realized the antelope was dying. Such cases leave me speechless and remind me that there is no "humans=smart, animals=dumb"-divide.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Or could it be that mankind is getting dumber and therefore the animals just seem smarter by comparison??

Now why didn't I think of that...?!
(Don't even think about it...!
)

And, yes, all kidding apart... animals are wonderful, amazing creatures.
And it's NOT because they can ape humans.
Which is why I wish they were respected and loved for what they ARE (and they "are" A LOT).

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
My cat was hitting the radio alarm clock the other morning trying to get it to make noise so we would wake up. We might as well practice communicating with animals to prepare for a possible eventual alien arrival. They say aliens can communicate telepathically like animals do.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
You are very clever! We have each of your examples within the threads of the past week or so.

I believe that these are the signs of our coming evolutionary jump as stated last in mikesings latest thread.

It is happening, the signs are on the wall for all to see, question is will we continue to be clever or move on with truth and light to escape the ego which seperates us humans from the animal kingdom?

Will the evolutionary leap of cosmic consciousness be for a few or will it be for many? How soon can we as a species awaken to our potential?

As long as we live in our clever minds, we cannot make the jump. When one monkey takes the jump, the rest follow, when one cell divides, they all do. Our planet is ALIVE and we are just skin flakes on her arm.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Symer

I have been watching this elephant for several years and it has been an amazing journey, is it impossible to consider that animals can be creative?

Animals are more much more natural than human beings because they live in truth, in their hearts at all times.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
It's at times like these that i am reminded that other than humans, Dogs, Cats and other household pets are probably the most intelligent beings on the planet.

And then i'm reminded of just how dark and gory human history really is - how we've had to fight with our very flesh to stay on top of the food chain, and that in the beginning there was no 'God' looking over us, that Humankind has had to fight for it's survival at every turn.

If only we hadn't lost our edge when we discovered what it means to believe in something...

[edit on 5-5-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Not at all, animals can be very creative when it comes to problem-solving. I have my doubts about animals wishing to express their creativity through works of art though.

I agree with your point of animals being more natural, our tendency to rationalize our feelings are preventing us from fully experiencing them. I recently read about a study which revealed that women with high intelligence are having more difficulty having orgasms than women with low intelligence. That speaks volumes I'd say.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Allthough these videos are impressive, none of them really show anything even appraoching human level inteligence. Orugatan's (as well as apes, chimpanzees and other primates) have been known to use primitive tools for decades now. The elephant video, as someone else mentioned, is more a testament to the trainers intelligence (in being able to create a training regime that led to the result shown) than the elephants. The fact is the smartest animal (non-human) alive has, at best, the cognitive abillites of a two to three year year old.

Whcih isnt much really.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I don't think animals are getting any more "enlightened". I just think the digital age is making animal inteligence more appearnt. Videos from obscure countires showing animals doing almost human activities can be easily accessed via youtube, back before the internet things like this wouldn't be as easiliy viewable to people around the world.

Some animals are bound to be more intelligent and imaginative than their brethen, just like some humans are.

posted on May, 6 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mad Larkin
I don't think animals are getting any more "enlightened". I just think the digital age is making animal inteligence more appearnt. Videos from obscure countires showing animals doing almost human activities can be easily accessed via youtube, back before the internet things like this wouldn't be as easiliy viewable to people around the world.

Some animals are bound to be more intelligent and imaginative than their brethen, just like some humans are.

could it possibly be both the fact that we are seeing more of these anomalies in behavior because we have the technical ability to post it and share it more.. AND that as time goes on.. the probability of it happening increases?

-

[edit on 6-5-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Just adding a new video about the intelligence of crows, I like the first clip of the crow bending the metal pin to hook its food.

www.disclose.tv...

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I watched this video thinking it was going to draw some abstract painting that was supposed to be an elephant.

No, it drew a freakin' elephant, holding a flower! Amazing.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
That elephant can draw ten times better than i can

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join