It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting Ready to Go to Alaska!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Hey BTSers, long time no talk to.

I'm getting set to move up to Alaska to work on a Factory Trawler boat for the next 3 months. I think it will be an adventure that could turn into a possible career, or just a load of money and memories.

Does anyone have any advice or experience they can give me? Or are there any ATS/BTSers out there in Alaska also?

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hey, i'm here to say i care, and i hope you have a wonderful time in Alaska! I have always wanted to go there!!!
Enjoy yourself and make the best of it!
Bless you,
DG

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Right on, thanks DG.

I'll definitely be coming back on here when I'm back to let you know.

Thanks again.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Hi bigbert. I've never been to Alaska, but am planning a trip for the spring of '09 to view the aurora. I hope you can really take in the beauty of it and have a great time. Be sure to update when you get back. I wish I could be of help.

Rush

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

My fiance and I are going to Alaska in June for our honeymoon. Where are you going in Alaska? I had friends who lived in Homer, AK, where lots of college students worked the halibut boats. They used to live right on the beach in tents. The weather is usually gorgeous in the summer, with super long days.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Billions and billions of mosquitoes during the short summer, they drive the reindeer insane, even kill some of them.

Good money to be made, but you better like mud and snow.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well, I'm going to be on a boat most of the time during the summer, so I'm not too worried about the mosquitoes.

Thanks guys for the posts. I hope I can take a lot of sight seeing in too when I'm not on a boat.

I'm not sure the exact location of the boat I'm going to go on, but I think it's somewhere around Kodiak or Bristol Bay. I'm pumped up though to take in some Alaskan culture from the Aleutian islands, and meet some cool people.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Take a camera - you'll fall in love with the scenery.
And the wildlife, if you like that too.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Heck yes I'll take my camera!

I'm pumped up to see some wildlife and take some pictures.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I worked in the industry for the better part of two decades. Which trawler, if you don't mind me asking? I don't know all of them, obviously, and I've been out of it for a little over 8 years. Never know though...you'll find that its a small world on the fishing grounds.

It's hard, hard work...but the money is good, and no expenses. There's a lot of fun to be had as well.

Just remember, it's not called the most dangerous job in the world for nothing. Keep your head on a swivel, especially when you are on deck.

Good luck, and have fun, 'cause it is fun. An experiance that you'll never forget...I miss it a lot. Infact, I'm really close to talking myself back into going back up next winter...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
i wish I had tried something like this when I was younger.

It sounds adventurous, and extremely rewarding.
I don't think you'll ever regret this opportunity.

Like others have said, take a lot of pictures. Lots of them.
Best wishes on your journey..

new topics

top topics

join