It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette prices expected to double this upcoming week? What would cause this?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Impreza

As of June 3, 2008, an additional $1.25 excise tax will be imposed and collected on all tobacco products including cigarettes and spit tobacco. This tax is a win, win, win situation. 1. It will help people quit. 2. Fewer youth will start smoking. 3. It will put a small dent in the huge exspense that smoking related sickness and disease causes NYS.

A vast majority of NYers don't smoke (80%) and don't want to be burdened with paying for those that do (20%).

Smoking sucks!!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
hell i just paid $8 for a pack of Marboro's today in Arlington, TX!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
lies lies and more lies. im 16 and i smoke. all it did was increase the number of people in my school who sell packs for 6 or 5 $. they order cartons from other states and sell them in school making a profit. so if anything it is easier and cheaper for minors to get cigarettes.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
when big government , taxes, and money is involved , it is NEVER for the greater good of anyone except those collecting the money. i dont not BELIEVE there is anything here but a tax increase, and a false illusion is it to get people to quit... i mean, all they want... is MORE MONEY!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm sick of these people telling me their 2 cents regarding smoking,what do they care,for all I know they have problems of their own,I'm in good health ,have some injurys but not as a result of smoking,I am well off financially my kids are doing well,so those of you who feel it's your duty to pass judgement on someone,check out your own house 1st,and no cigarette prices are not going up,I live in California by the way

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mlmijyd
Why don't 'YOU' the stupid smoker, not give 'THEM' any more of your hard earned cash (this alone should make you see sense) and stop abusing 'YOUR' body and those around you!

Just take control of the one thing you can in this world, YOUR body

As a smoker I agree 100%.

yet I still smoke. I understand it's not the chemical addiction that keeps me smoking. Nicotine is virtually GONE from the body within a 3 day span...

therefore it MUST be a psychological addiction. Judging by how I personally react to not having cigs (tired, unfocused, irritable, teary eyed, anxious, fidgetty etc etc etc) sounds psychological to me.

Brings me to the conclusion that all those smoking cessation gimmicks are a load of crappola.

I have been reading and re-reading a great book about how to stop smoking and it makes so much sense.

The only way to stop is just that. Stop.

It is a maddening thing for most who smoke, not feeling in control of it. Would seem to be so reasonable to just stop doing it... very curious.

I view it as a personal weakness and it's disgusting as well. I am a closet smoker...most people don't even know I smoke because I'm ashamed of it.

edited to add on topic: prices here in vancouver BC are over 10$ for a pack of 20 name brand cigs and they just went up here a few weeks ago and again yesterday. Prices reflect the medical costs of treating us when we get cancer or emphysema perhaps.... (not sure really just tossing that out)

[edit on 10/22/2008 by justgeneric]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kthulu

whomever wrote this must be an absolute moron!!!
heaven forbid that someone should have to tolerate someone smoking
why dont people just shut their mouths and learn to coexist???
the smoking in public isnt a concern, but goin broke just to choose to have a cigarette in ur own home or car is a little much

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join