It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette prices expected to double this upcoming week? What would cause this?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
all i can guess...about cigarettes going up in price...is that Reynolds American Tobacco reported reduced profits in Quarter 1...
& the stock price last week, went from a ~$63.51 moving average on Mon, to $53.80 on the Fri. share price closing
(about a $10. decrease in market cap with 294 million shares outstanding)

next off, the price hike is coincidental? with the IRS sending out all those millions of 'rebates' & 'stimulus' checks at $300-600 per person !

ThirdLy ... the former Altria, along with RAI, the two domestic biggies in
USA tobacco, har having a real problem with 'smugglers' & black-marketers...making an enormous dent in their bottom lines.

fourthly, i smoked for 35+ years, i gave it up cold turkey some 5 years ago.... and from experience i can relate that the 'Cost' has nothing to do with the habit... so, in my experience the habitual smoker will not curtail their 'smoking satisfaction'...they will resort to creative financing/ or else buy those lettuce & cabbage leaf concoctions made in the eastern european countries like Romania or even the Baltic nation of Latvia.

In fact, back in the '70s i promised myself that if/when cigarettes hit $1.00 a pack i was gonna quit, that didn't happen... i kept myself supplied with my addiction for another 2+ decades & the packs of smokes were now going for $2.50-$3.00 a pack--> completely outrageous for here in S.C. where they grow the stuff on thousands of 10-30 acre farms scattered all over the rural areas...
.~ insanity-is-relative !~

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I don't know about other states, but in Nevada. Cigarette packs, each have a tax stamp on the bottom. But loose tobacco, is not taxed the same way.
a lot of people are rolling their own. It's about 1/3 the price to do so.

Is loose tobacco taxed as much in other states?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Although we (Denmark) have to pay $7.00 for a pack of smokes, we do so without making a big stink about it. Within the past couple of years, legislation and laws, has made it illigal to smoke inside public buildings, at work or hospitals, unless a room is available for those who can't go a few hours without smoking. The same thing now goes for resturants, bars and pubs as well. Even those who have separate smoking and non-smoking sections. It's certainly understandable, that non-smoking workers should have to suffer needlessly.

However the goverment finally stepped on to many toes, when they declared that bars or pubs, where included as well. Because you see, there's a tradition in Denmark, that goes back hundreds and hundreds of years. People spend anywhere from one to several hours a day, usually at their local bar or pub. A santuary, where people from all walks of life can come. To talk about the small things in life, or the handling of the bigger world situations. Maybe throw some dice, shoot some pool or throw darts. Basically enjoying life while throwing back a few cold ones. The only solid food these bars serve, would be a frosen beer. There are hundreds and hundreds of these bars in Denmark. Of course, it's not all people who go to bars or pubs. However it's always been a place were the only restrictions were, no fights inside and mind the time if you're by yourself, so you won't get on your wife's bad side, because you missed dinner.

The thing to keep in mind is, that 8 out of 10 bar patrons smoke. The last two don't mind, and see it as their right to choose to stay or walk away. As danes, we don't have the right to bear arms as you americans do. Personally i'm okay with that, because it's easier to stop smoking, than putting your guns in the ground, as the song says. I wonder what would happen, when (not if) the american goverment, finally invents the "perfect" excuse they are seeking, to take away your guns.

Cigarette anyone.??

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm glad less people smoke because ya'll stink to high heaven.
Despite the fact that you've all got the same gripes claiming your rights, or whatever, they are slowly being taken away. I imagine the only reason they don't make it illegal is because it would kill the economy of the South. My guess is they're doing it slowly.
And don't complain to us about how your life is so bad that its all you look forward to in the morning, and its all that gets you going. If your life sucks, make a change! My life isn't perfect but I don't have to smoke to deal with it.
I understand you enjoy it, but as Non smokers we have rights as well. We dont want to be around that smelly crap coming out your mouth. We dont want to get cancer from you, and like it or not, no matter how you look at it, its not fair to us.
So go on, and smoke. Yall got 5 years before its completely illegal. Then you'll have to quit o face the consequences because I guarantee you thats where its going. We've pushed you into a corner. We've limited where you can smoke. Now we're raising prices.
And how are you going to show us that your an American, born and bred from revolution?
Bend over and take it until its illegal.

Addiction. Ain't it a [expletive deleted]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Here in Ontario cigarettes are a minimum ~$7.50 a pack. And this is for the cheap ****** ******* brands that 25 years ago didn't exist and are probably made of floor droppings from Native cigarettes. And anyone trying to circumvent the system can buy Native cigarettes from Indian reservations which usually suck and are worse than the cheapest store brands (I've had one type of Native smoke which was Godly, the tobacco was so fresh it had green in it and I almost puked after having one, appropriately named "TCB"). Malboro's are the bomb, they're so much better than any other cigarette. I wish they sold those in Canada.

I think, and this is just speculation, but I think it's part of globalization. The corporations (aka TPTB) are equalizing prices across the board wherever it's economically viable. So while cigarettes aren't gonna cost ten bucks US in Thailand tomorrow, that's the eventual goal, high universal prices for everything, everywhere.

Oh yeah, as an edit: Why should states levy income taxes on tobacco if it's not paying for universal healthcare?

[edit on 4-5-2008 by Merle8]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If there is an increase in the price of tobacco...

I think it is to force the tobacco market to dry up and force the tobacco farmers to grow something else, like sugar cane to make bio fuels. It takes a lot of fuel to fight wars all over the place.

I just don't see the PTB caring for the American citizen at all, other than someone to tax. Especially if those wars might last 100 yrs as McCain alluded to.

[edit on 4-5-2008 by whaaa]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Marlboro has actually dropped about 10 cents a pack here in my town.

While I enjoy smoking if it doubled in price for a pack I would have to quit out of sheer reluctance to pay that price.

As for all those on here ripping on us smokers. When you quit driving, spraying yourselves with all those stinking ass perfumes,using all those household chemicals,using all those outdoor chemicals on your lawn to make it look oh so pretty, quit going to the bar,getting drunk then driving yourself home and putting other peoples lives in danger then talk to me about my nasty habit. Until that point quit being hypocritical about our smoking. the things I stated above puts more harm on our environment,air,and bodies than my smoking does to you.

Personally I would rather smell my Marlboro than that nausea-inducing perfume you covered yourself in thinking it might get you lucky.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Impreza
I live in Lansing, MI. The person who gave me this news is not the type to go around repeating rumours,....

Hey, anything is possible with our governor.
The new business tax plan is not doing well.
So, one would expect her to be looking for new sources of revenue.

In the past, the state has tried to dry up online sales of cigarettes. At least one company stopped to selling to Michigan. Another was asked to turn over their Michigan customer list.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
well, unless I came in before the cutoff time for this price hike, I can say I haven't seen it today. Bought a carton of the usual marlboros for the usual price at about 1:30 in the Chicagoland area.

we for the rest of this conversation. wow, just wow.. you know, i think I'll light two up on my next break and leave the one there just smoldering, since I think I prefer the smell of cigarettes to the god-awful stench of smugness and empty superiority issued forth from the rather ignorant and ill informed non smoking crowd here. maybe a lot of you need to light up a smoke and relax a bit, for your own benefit.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mlmijyd
Why don't 'YOU' the stupid smoker, not give 'THEM' any more of your hard earned cash (this alone should make you see sense) and stop abusing 'YOUR' body and those around you!

Just take control of the one thing you can in this world, YOUR body

Because I need it man! *twitch* *twitch* Just gimme a little taste!

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
well.. here it is late monday afternoon... and I just came back from the local food-n-fuel. The young girl working there didnt get the word yet to increase her prices,. Yet...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
An interesting slant on this - 10 years ago Noam Chomsky spoke about in 15 years time smoking being made illegal as the richer classes moved away from it and lived health conscious lifestyles and the poor remained smokers. Which is definitely the direction it is moving in. Another control of the masses as with most illegal drugs. This has been the case for years, the British government once banned gin as it was drunk by the poor yet allowed whisky as this was for the richer classes. Seem with cannabis control in the US where the US didnt want the Mexicans becoming wealthy from the distribution of it ........

Can I ask why the post was clearly about taxation issues it has been brought into a battle of smokers Vs non smokers. The OP has even stated he WASN'T a smoker himself, so come on lets be constructive and not childish please children.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I really cannot believe, how childish people are - arguing this debate between smokers and non smokers when the original post had nothing to do with this.

My understanding is that most people who do smoke anyway don't want to and would love to quit however, the secrets that they are smoking were designed to be as addictive as possible. Now all the non smokers complaining about breathing in smoke maybe you should be thankful you didn't start smoking addictive cigs at a young age as most people sadly do due to peer pressure etc.

Then I would have to ask myself are you non smokers addicted to driving? Because why should I as a non driver have to breath in your car fumes.

Oh and before you start calling me a dirty smelly smoker, I'm not one. Just a person who can see reason. Smokers didn't choose to make cigs addictive the manufactures did. Most were not aware of the health risks at the time too. So come on grown up and fight a meaningful cause like the emmisions from your SUV ;-)

To all those people who don't hate out there - peace and love - lets hope this will spread, like hate appears too.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Great! Nice thread derail. FYI Smokers don't care what non-smokers think. Most people do what they want and don't care what others think whether it is the use of carbon based fuel or the big mack. Using someone's thread to spew your childish temper tantrums is repulsive.

To the OP, we get our smokes on the Navy base, so no tax. I'll let you know if prices jump.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Off topic: I wonderful what would happen if I called all Christians idiots on this board? Would I get a warning? Because apparently it is okay to throw around broad generalizations about smokers and being just that: idiots.

On topic: I bought 4 packs of Camel lights today. They were BOGO's and there were still the same price as they were yesterday.

edit for spelling

[edit on 5-5-2008 by bobafett1972]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet
You know honestly, I am glad. I hope they make cigarettes so expensive no one can afford them.

People who smoke are idiots. Yes plain and simple.

Perhaps if we had no more smokers the burden on our health system which the MAJORITY is from smoking related problems would be reduced to such an extent that more people would be able to afford health insurance.

I think if you smoke you should be immediately denied any type of health insurance. Thats like seat belts for crash test dummies.

methinks you are the idiot my friend. Don't you realise that if no one smokes, then all the revenue governments make from taxing tobacco will have to come from somewhere else - like...ummm - YOUR POCKET! Yes, smokers contribute BILLIONS of dollars every year to government coffers.

And as for that ridiculous argument that smokers burden the health system. Well the fact is we smokers have already payed for our heart/lung transplants 10 times over via the tax we pay for our addiction! But what about those OBEESE non smokers that through their lifestyle choice truly do burden the health system! Why not pick on them, or their addiction pushers - the fast food giants!

So next time you jump on your soap box, please come up with a new argument instead on banging on the same old drum with false info...

Oh and for the record, big tobacco and big oil are in cahoots - that's why the cost is going up...

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069

Originally posted by mlmijyd
Why don't 'YOU' the stupid smoker, not give 'THEM' any more of your hard earned cash (this alone should make you see sense) and stop abusing 'YOUR' body and those around you!

Just take control of the one thing you can in this world, YOUR body

Quoting someone who knows nothing of addictions.

Spoken like a true, weak addict and the reason we are the way we are, is down to people who can't control themselves and blame everyone and everything except themselves. Oh it’s my childhood, my parents, my friends, my school, my social background, my government blah, blah blah. Pathetic!

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Impreza
I heard from a co-worker that starting this upcoming Monday, cigarette prices will nearly double. A pack of Marlboro's going to jump from about $4 to near $8, he says. I couldn't find anything on it when I searched the net, so I was wondering if anyone here knows anything regarding this sudden increase in cigarette prices.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by Impreza]

Well did the price of cigarettes double? Interesting to hear from anybody from Lansing.

[edit on 10-5-2008 by ColdWater]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Dang I remember getting smokes for .50 cents a pack overseas when they were 4.50 in the west coast US. It seems to vary greatly throughout the world. I wonder how much of the cost in Europe is "sin tax".

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I just bought a carton of Marlboro red for 37.00,maybe up a dollar,and sounds like some ex smokers commenting,nothing worse then ex smoker or ex drinker,and as far as being stupid I'm a victim of my environment ,my mom started smoking at 13 guess it was in the genes,and by the way my mom didn't die from cancer,but my father who never smoked did

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join