It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New MYT Engine - 1/5 th the Weight - 3x Fuel Efficiency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Stumbled across these videos on youtube. Looks like the internal combustion engine has been reinvented.

This is the most impressive design for an ICE I have yet seen. It weighs 1/5 of what a normal engine would, yet has so few parts rubbing against each other by comparison that the heat generated by friction is removed by simple air cooling, leaving a lot more power available as engine output.

Imagine new cars costing 25% less, and getting 75 MPG standard!

See the videos here:

and

[edit on 3-5-2008 by ianr5741]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Awesome, I'd put one in my truck if I could get it. Seems to me we could fully eliminated the ICE with this. Not only that, I'm thinking that fuel wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure this design could be used to run a variety of different fuels.

EDIT: I watched the videos again without distraction, seems I missed the part about multiple fuels. Looks like a great engine, and think of how much smaller a vehicle could be. I do however think that it may be too much horsepower for some applications. 850hp in a car weighing in at about two thousand pounds might be a bit much. I think the new challenge would be designing transmissions to fit specific applications.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by Mekanic]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
But of course, what I would like to know; is there any of these engines actually built and usable yet?
I'd like to see these being put in cars real soon.

With the price of fuel, they are needed and according to the youtube link, they are multi-fuel, so you can burn the cheapest fuel available.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
More information

Our ultimate business goal is to spin off companies that utilize our technologies and can go public, and that's probably a few years down the line.

This is from the "Warning about Investment Offers" link.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Energy saving devices and engines have a habit of disappearing off of the market.
www.byronwine.com...

I'd be amazed if this was ever commercialized.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Meh, it's pretty cool. There are many such reconfigurations of the Otto cycle out there, and this is up there with the cleverest of the bunch. It's claims are probably quite exaggerated; it is, after all, a sales pitch. It won't get any noticeably better gas millage than a regular engine, except any advantage gained by having a lighter engine.

It's got the same problem as the (also very cool) Wankel rotary engine, but worse, though. It has several seals that run the length of the combustion chamber that will all need to be constantly kept oiled, which means that this engine will always be burning oil, making it comparatively extremely environmentally unfriendly. My bets are that it won't reach production because it'll never meet California emissions standards.

In fact, most clever redesigns of the internal combustion engine have that same problem, and that's why we're still using the basic 4 stroke Otto cycle engine. It may be old and heavy, but it's a very cheap and clean engine, compared to almost everything else.

If it doesn't reach production, it'll be too bad. It looks really cool.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican

It's got the same problem as the (also very cool) Wankel rotary engine, but worse, though. It has several seals that run the length of the combustion chamber that will all need to be constantly kept oiled, which means that this engine will always be burning oil, making it comparatively extremely environmentally unfriendly.

I assume with the regular ICE, the piston rings scrape back some of the excess motor oil, minimizing burned oil.
With this design, new oil has to constantly be introduced as it is all one way (no oil take-back) and it will burn as much oil as needed for lubrication.

I see your point, a good one.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic

850hp in a car weighing in at about two thousand pounds might be a bit much.

?????????

Sounds like fun to me!!!

Any videos of this engine actually running on a dyno?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
yeah, i would like to see this engine inside a normal car
i was reading the web page, and the news that they have are kinda old :/

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I too would like to see how this actually works. There are a lot of things that look good on paper, but don't work in the real world. Still, the concept is interesting.

Does anyone know anything else about these people? I don't trust ANY advertisement to be more than 70% truthful, and usually less. Sometimes a lot less.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Below is a recent video of the MYT engine with the inventor. I guess because they are after royalties big companies have not been willing to pick up the engine, that and there is a push towards electric motors anyhow.

www.livevideo.com...

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think this engine if it works like they say could be a good fit for the GM volt- changing it from an electric car with a gas-engine/generator range extender to an electric car with a superior bio-diesel engine/generator range extender making it even greener, cleaner, and giving it better range.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
anyone else hear the claim he made regaurding the focus?
ran it for 1000 hours on JUST air?
im currently tyrying to worl out how they did that little trick

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

This engine is more than just a concept. You will note the 2005 award sponsored by NASA and the running footage on you tube & various cut a ways showing the mechanism working. Some here seem to doubt the claimed efficiecy. The torque.of the motor is greater for 2 main reasons. Firstly the diameter of the throw of the 855 cummins crank is about 6 inches & the diameter of the MYT equivalent is say 12 inches, that's twice the leverage. Secondly with a conventional piston engine there is huge amounts of inertsia energy lost with the piston having to stop at the top & bottom of each stroke + friction from piston skirts & oil ring not taking into account the multiplication from the 4 sets of ports. There is no oil in the bore as it is lubricated by the fuel, hence the use of diesel.
Rich

top topics

join