It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Gas in the U.S. Is So CHEAP ???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by the way
So what you are saying is that because you are a bigger country and use more petrol you should be entitled to it cheaper?

No. He's saying that, because we are a big country, the rising fuel costs will effect our overall economy in a big way. When you increase the cost of fuel you increase the cost of shipping, which effects production costs at every single stage of commerce.

Your gas prices are way out of line with other industrialised nations,

We also produce more fuel. Most of our petroleum is drilled and refined right here at home. European countries import their oil (or gasoline if it's refined overseas).

you produce the most emissions of any western nation and refuse to agree to the kyoto protocol and you all still whine about your comparitively low gas prices! Poor babys!

Kyoto exempts countries like China. Are you aware that the Olympic athelete's wont even train anywhere near Beijing because of the pollution? Beijing, today, makes Los Angeles of the early '70s (where the word "smog" was coined) look like Lake Tahoe.

The U.S. has come a long way in cleaning up pollution from factories and autos. Other countries, not so much.

You have it so tough! And all this despite securing Iraqs oilfields.

Oh, that's right. We went to war in Iraq in order to steal their oil. I forgot.

What a suprise to learn posters don't care how much it costs in other countries! And you wonder why the rest of the world isn't too keen on you! The rest of the world really feels sorry for you spoilt americans which is why your foreign policy is now biting you on the ass.
If there was any justice you'd be paying $50 a gallon. You guys make me sick.

A country like, say, France, can absorb a higher price for gasoline because the majority of their remaining energy costs are provided by nuclear power. The U.S. doesn't build new nuclear plants, nor do we build new oil refineries. Correcting both of those wrong-headed policies, in addition to expanding "greener" alternatives and more improvements in clean emissions, are right-headed policies if we want safer, cheaper energy, imo.

Edit to clarify a (possibly) mis-worded conclusion.

[edit on 4-5-2008 by Tuning Spork]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by the way
reply to post by TheRedneck

So what you are saying is that because you are a bigger country and use more petrol you should be entitled to it cheaper?
This is nonsense!
Your gas prices are way out of line with other industrialised nations, you produce the most emissions of any western nation and refuse to agree to the kyoto protocol and you all still whine about your comparitively low gas prices! Poor babys! You have it so tough! And all this despite securing Iraqs oilfields. What a suprise to learn posters don't care how much it costs in other countries! And you wonder why the rest of the world isn't too keen on you! The rest of the world really feels sorry for you spoilt americans which is why your foreign policy is now biting you on the ass.

No what we are saying is we produce and refine all of our own gas where as you guys import all your stuff. There is a difference. Its like buying direct from the manufacturer or buying it from a middle man we get it direct so we should reap the benefits. And like I said earlier we pay out of tax dollars 18 billion dollars a year to big oil in subsidize. Let me tell you something this high gas is going to bring our economy to a halt and let me tell you all you guys will be coming right down with us so dont be to happy over all this because it sounds like you are jumping for joy.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well that cheap fuel just went out the door. Time to go and find a way to get more mileage out of the gallon. Waiting or demanding for the price to go down is not going to get one from A to B and it is not going to happen. So save your energy and put it where it gets you around with less.

Some handydandy links:

2008 best cars sedans under $20K

best fuel economic cars

How about a map for fuel prices in your neighbourhood? or try this one

Top 10 Tips for Improving Your Fuel Economy

Not jumping, just trying to lend a hand. We all feel the pain and I’m affraid it is not going to get cheaper. Maybe one will benefit from this post, then I start bouncing.

PS:

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Another thing that must be pointed out is that while Europeans pay more for gas, they get healthcare and other social services for free.

That is far from true. There is no such thing as a free service. Here in the Netherlands we are duty-bound to ensure healthcare, yerps that is enforced by law. This means that you have to pay for it. Not free, not at all I might add.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Dag gummit, D.Wolf, you talk like an American. I believe it was P.J. O'Rourke who said, "If you think health care is expensive now, just you wait until it's free."

Edit to save space.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
One month of healthcare insurance would get me a shpeepload of gasoline but no complaining from me whilst I would not like to be in the shoes of one who gets around without it. One doesn’t want to go cheap on medical care. For the talking like an American. Well yeah, Oim a wheal poet ain I?

BTW: people with huge and I mean HUGE purses wanting to cut back on the fuel. Check this thread:

Tesla rolls out its long-awaited electric sports car

Careful now, it’s not for the weak of hearth.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
as if since we pay less compared to other countries that is a good thing. This is the beginning of a years long crisis that will result in death and the collapses of empires (at least those not prepared). So far we are not prepared. We SHOULD be worried.

You can paint a turd green and put little flowers on it but it doesn't change the fact that it's a frikkin turd.

-ChriS

[edit on 4-5-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by the way

Er, no, that was not in my post. My post pointed out the differences in the geographic areas of the world.

Your gas prices are way out of line with other industrialised nations, you produce the most emissions of any western nation and refuse to agree to the kyoto protocol and you all still whine about your comparitively low gas prices!

I think the other posters here have answered your concern over gas prices. In respect to Kyoto, the treaty specifically exempts the two most polluting nations, China and India. In addition, our present enviromental impacts have been lessened to the point that we are now one of the cleanest of the industrialized nations.

I think you need to get new propaganda. And maybe some new reading glasses?

OK, and some Pepto-Bismol too.
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 123space

Hi,
Here in Australia we pay a hefty price for fuel. A few months ago after seeing an American citizen talking about the cost of fuel on TV, I did the maths and realized we here are being ripped off.

For the equivalent of one U.S. gallon we pay A$4.34, which at the current exchange rate equals about U.S.$4.70. I bet you don't pay anywhere near that much at the pump.

We do have a fuel tax of 40% in the dollar, and have done since the early 80's, but in the past 3 to 4 years the fuel price has skyrocketed to ridiculous proportions. We are told in the nightly TV news that it is because of the barrel price, and it is left for us to think it is the Arabs who set the price. Yes, we are mushroom here too.

I think it is only because of the GREED shown by those who buy and sell it on the Wall Street Stock Market and not because the Saudis or someone else puts their price up or reduces their output.

Today I will pay A$30 for fuel and it will half fill my tank, but only last year I could almost fill the tank for that amount. Because I live in a rural area, the cost of traveling to doctors, to the closest city for shopping, etc, is not something I can afford to do anymore.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Then we'll stop importing oil and we'll stop exporting oil. All international commerce will come to an evil end. Whoopie.

Okay, now what?

America will do just fine. We have oil a-plenty. But what will y'all do? Where are your oil fields?

We do our best. We try to be good neighbors and all we get from you is derision. Do you have any @#$% idea where you'd be today without us? Do you have any idea how much we love you? Do you have any @#$% idea how much of ourselves we've spent, and spend, to defend your ungrateful asses?

Ridicule us all ye want. We'll be right here, tomorrow, to take some more of it, child, whether you like it or not...

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tuning Spork
Then we'll stop importing oil and we'll stop exporting oil. All international commerce will come to an evil end. Whoopie.

Okay, now what?

America will do just fine. We have oil a-plenty. But what will y'all do? Where are your oil fields?

We do our best. We try to be good neighbors and all we get from you is derision. Do you have any @#$% idea where you'd be today without us? Do you have any idea how much we love you? Do you have any @#$% idea how much of ourselves we've spent, and spend, to defend your ungrateful asses?

Ridicule us all ye want. We'll be right here, tomorrow, to take some more of it, child, whether you like it or not...

Technically we have more than enough oil to be self sufficient (as well as the facilities and hardware in place to make it work) which would, while the price of oil elsewhere skyrockets, temporarily:

1-stop all incoming imports of foreign oil (lowering the price in the process)
and
2-make us self sufficient and not reliant on geopolitical stability around the world not to mention having to invade other nations who will not comply with our oil needs.

But that will never happen because the oil companies actually make money by importing oil don't they. I live in the state of Alaska where we have enough plenty of facilities and oil to be self-sufficient (temporarily at least until alternative energy can take over). We have a massive oil pipeline that can move millions of barrels a day from the north slope. We also have immense oil and gas reserves up here that are either still untapped and/or not discovered yet. But we still pay some of the highest gas/oil prices in the union because the oil has to be

-shipped out/trucked out
-refined in places like the lower 48
-shipped back up to Alaska and trucked to those who sell the gas

And the entire process is hindered by the reality of high oil prices already which increases how much it takes to truck the oil back and forth. It's ridiculous! Now we have all these crazies in the interior who are fighting against putting in a new gas pipeline when it is exactly what our economy needs. Maybe it would be a first step to being self-sufficient you never know. The current situation just makes you wanna pull your hair out.

-ChriS

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tuning Spork

Hiya Tuning,

Firstly let me explain that I am not here to argue with you or come to verbal blows, but some facts might help your perspective a little.

My referring to Wall Street and the price of fuel was only to make a point that I think all necessities should not be something that the greedy can make us suffer for while they get richer.

We have reserves here in Australia that have been capped for well over 60 years, enough to last us 500 years so I was informed by the daughter (now an 84 year old) of one man who found a lot of the deposits for British Petroleum.

We do our best. We try to be good neighbors and all we get from you is derision. Do you have any @#$% idea where you'd be today without us? Do you have any idea how much we love you? Do you have any @#$% idea how much of ourselves we've spent, and spend, to defend your ungrateful asses? Ridicule us all ye want. We'll be right here, tomorrow, to take some more of it, child, whether you like it or not...

Okay, well argued.

Today I would probably be speaking Japanese. So I might now be part of some international conglomerate making myself millions of $$$$$

But, many thousands of Australians have died in the wars and 'skirmishes' you have started in other countries, so we too have bled deeply for you. We have defended you admirably my friend, even when we knew you were wrong... as good friends might do.

You did not defend us out of brotherly love my friend, your country only came to our aid because you have vast 'classified interests' in my country. You protected your own interests not mine, that we are not Japanese speaking is only a symptom of your government's selfish interests.

We find it hard to believe that you are brainwashed in your culture and schools into believing your country is the greatest, best, above all others in the world. I see that all people are equal no matter what land they are born in, and that no one country has the right to force themselves upon another at any time.

Do you get a TV show called Top Gear in your country? It is an eye-opener for the rest of the world for the few times the British crew went to America for a special and were treated like sh*t, harassed and threatened for no good reason other than yokels took offense at something said or done! The presenters were frightened for their lives by large groups of people who cared nothing for anyone but themselves and their brainwashed beliefs.

I am not saying these things to provoke you, or to disrespect you. When I was in your country back in the early 90's I met a whole lot of nice people, and many who weren't. Some were outright pigs to my wife and I. I think you will find that in most parts of the world now.

Suffice to say there is always two sides to a story and I hope here I may have offered you some insight into a bigger picture.

Be well.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Tuning Spork

That didn’t even rhyme.

[edit on 4/5/08 by D.Wolf]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by the way

Your gas prices are way out of line with other industrialised nations, you produce the most emissions of any western nation and refuse to agree to the kyoto protocol and you all still whine about your comparitively low gas prices!

I think the other posters here have answered your concern over gas prices. In respect to Kyoto, the treaty specifically exempts the two most polluting nations, China and India. In addition, our present enviromental impacts have been lessened to the point that we are now one of the cleanest of the industrialized nations.

I think you need to get new propaganda. And maybe some new reading glasses?

OK, and some Pepto-Bismol too.
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

TheRedneck

Quote by the redneck-
"Er, no, that was not in my post. My post pointed out the differences in the geographic areas of the world."

Er, yes you did-Quote from earlier in the thread by the redneck- "the USA is a much larger country, and the infrastructure (corporations, manufacturing, etc) are based on cheap fuel as they are typically based on lots of travel. To us, crossing from Alabama into Mississippi is marked only by a sign alongside the road. A move from New York to retire in sunny Florida is seen as common thing. There's nothing unusual about a corporate exec needingt to leave Boston to spend a few days in LA at another facility."
You are also deliberately confusing the issue,sir, by bringing in india and china (both of which were third world countries until fairly recently!)-they are not western nations which was what i was talking about. You seem to be confusing "industrialised" with "western"-may i recommend wikipedia to you for simple word definitions?
I am happy to revise my opinion if you can provide any information that proves the U.S is now among the cleaner westernised nations?
By the way calling someones point of view "propaganda" just because they don't agree with yours is well, pretty sad really!
Following that logic,i am sure your your n.s.a-has already labelled me a "terrorist" for having the audacity to criticise the mighty USA-USA-USA?
As to points made by other posters-the fact that you don't have the transport infrastructure is nobodys fault but yours! Perhaps you should have spent the trillions of dollars you have used invading other countries since 1945 into transport,infrastrucure etc?? Just a thought!
I notice no-one has taken issue with the comments i made about your foreign policys biting you on the ass? Any takers?

[edit on 4-5-2008 by the way]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The whole point of this thread is dumb. Europe may pay twice as much for gas, but people travel less than half the distance to get where they want to go. Therefore, if gas is twice as much but you only travel a quarter of the distance, they pay half of what we do for transportation. Factor in that their currency is worth more than ours and they pay even less. Not to mention they have a MUCH better public transportation system that takes you EVERYWHERE and they are paying a ton less commuter costs.

It doesn't matter if their gas is more money than ours. Their transportation costs are hugely less, meaning it's cheaper to go from point A to point B in Europe than it is in America. Therefore, our gas prices hurt us more than in Europe.

Gas isn't even more money there. It's all taxes anyway

Fact is, the nations that cost more money for fuel are nations where people don't even need cars to get around. The places where cars are required to get around because the public transportation isn't as good - South America, Africa, the Middle East - and gas is TONS cheaper than it is here. We're getting thrown over a barrel in the USA. Our gas may be less than average, but it hurts us wayyyyy more than average due to our infrastructure.

I absolutely hate threads like this. They are specifically designed to make people think America is full of complainers who have it better than everyone else in the world and still complain anyway. These threads are designed to make you be upset with yourself for being American and they make you angry at your country. Threads like this make Americans feel bad for being Americans, and it's BS. The fact is, we're allowed to complain because DO have it a lot worse than the norm.

[edit on 4-5-2008 by ChocoTaco369]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Good try.

Trying to make it sound comeing in at 45th, out of 115 countries surveyed is remotely close to either end of the spectrum.

It's nearly dead center.

Not to mention Europeans could come to the US with all thier Euros, and anfter exchangeing them, they'd end up paying around 2 euros a gallon here.

The American dollar isn't worth a crap right now.

This whole "Breaking News" piece is skewed, it's meaningless.

Not to mention, I give a rats arse how many US dollars a gallon of gas is in Turkey.

This little article is haveing a reverse effect. It's actually proveing how screwed we aare right now comepared to most of the world when it comes to the cost of gas.

Because I'm sure TPTB took the 115 countries where gas is most expensive.

Put us in an "average list and I'm sure we'd be near the crap end of the spectrum. Sitting in the top 10 most expensive countries to buy gas.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf
reply to post by Tuning Spork

That didn’t even rhyme.

[edit on 4/5/08 by D.Wolf]

I appologize if I offended anyone. I do get a little passionate sometimes. To me, patriotism comes from a love of freedom and what America stands for (though not always what we do), not simply a blind nationalism.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I think the other posters here have answered your concern over gas prices. In respect to Kyoto, the treaty specifically exempts the two most polluting nations, China and India.
So what you saying is India & china be banned 1st BUT DO YOU KNOW WHO PUT THOSE POLLUTION FACTORIES THEIR WE AMERICANS & OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRIES.WE NEED WALL MART PRICE PRODUCTS.

SO WE NEED CHEAP OIL ,GOOD LIVING & CHEAP PRODUCTS BUT NOT READY TO INVEST IN INNOVATIVE EFFICIENT TECHNOLOGY .wHATS HAPPEN TO WATER RUN CARS BY FORD .WHO KILL IT OIL COMPANY WHO DNT WANT TO LOOSE THEIR BUSINESS.

WHAT HAPPEN NOW WE DNT HAVE TECHNOLOGY FOR OUR NEEDS SO WE KILLING IRAQI FOR OIL. whats A bULL**T

NOW MR.BUSH HAVE PROBLEM WITH GROWTH OF INDIANS COME ON WE HAVE TO WORK OUT HOW WE COULD BENIFIET FROM INDIA GROWTH.BECAUSE WHERE WE SPENDING MONEY ON WAR THEY SPENSING ON THEIR SCHOOL & COLLEGES .ASK MICROSOFT,NASA HOW MANY INDIANS WORKING WITH THEM.

SO AT LAST I JUST SAY COME OUT OF ILLUSION AMERICANS

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

A. We spend 18 Billion dollars a year to subsidize the oil companies.

No need to worry mbu, Exxon alone will repay the SHEEPLE in the first two quarters of this year.

Exxon: Profit Pirate or Tax Victim?
The oil giant paid $9.3 billion, or 49% of its first-quarter gross income, in income taxes.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Maybe you guys (and us here in "Soviet Canuckistan", even thought we have no public transit) should lobby for bullet trains and stuff. North America needs to get with the times and not let Europe and Japan have all the new technology. I'd be willing to pay higher taxes (or have the military cut) to pay for more advanced and pervasive public transit.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boone 870
reply to post by mybigunit

A. We spend 18 Billion dollars a year to subsidize the oil companies.

No need to worry mbu, Exxon alone will repay the SHEEPLE in the first two quarters of this year.

Exxon: Profit Pirate or Tax Victim?
The oil giant paid $9.3 billion, or 49% of its first-quarter gross income, in income taxes.

Im trying to figure out what you are saying...are you saying that Exxon is paying all sorts of money in taxes? What are you insinuating? Oh ok that Exxon is paying their fair share ok how bout some straight talk LOL

SO 30 billion in profit but we give 18 billion of that back so they pay 12 billion on 40 billion in profit so they pay what 28% in taxes when your average person making 100k will pay 30 to 35%? Not only that oil in my eyes are different. so 28 billion profit not to bad of a take considering there really is no other options to choose from.

[edit on 4-5-2008 by mybigunit]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join