It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
BEIJING, China (CNN) -- China's Health Ministry strengthened surveillance and dispatched specialists to eastern China's Anhui province as the death toll from a virulent virus climbed to 22, the country's Xinhua news agency reported.
As of Friday, there were 3,321 reported cases of the virus in children. The illness -- known as enterovirus 71 -- can cause hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD).
A total of 978 children are hospitalized, Wang Yan, a Anhui province official, told Xinhua. Forty-eight of them are in critical condition.
China urges precautions against deadly virus
By AUDRA ANG – 4 hours ago
BEIJING (AP) — China has made it mandatory for health care providers to report all cases of a viral illness that has sickened thousands of young children across the country, as the death toll rose Wednesday to 28.
So far there have been 15,799 cases of hand, foot and mouth disease this year, the official Xinhua News Agency said, cropping up in areas ranging from the tropical island province of Hainan in the south to Jilin province in the northeast and Yunnan province in the southwest.
The number and scope of cases in recent years, along with the need for increased surveillance, prompted the Health Ministry to enforce the new reporting rules, spokesman Mao Qun'an said.