It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: FCC's Martin ponders indecency on pay TV, radio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
In an effort to control everything we see and hear, including cable and satellite, Federal Communications Commissioner Kevin Martin is asking U.S. regulators to consider them to adhere to indecency standards. This all has started since Janet Jackson's right breast was exposed during this years superbowl.

Yahoo/Rueters

Pressure has been building in recent months to address the growing coarseness on television and radio, with some lawmakers and regulators pondering whether the limits on over-the-air broadcasts can be applied to cable and satellite services.

Speaking to the Reuters Technology, Media and Telecommunications Summit, Martin noted that shock jocks Opie and Anthony, fired after a stunt involving sex in famous places, were now on satellite radio.

Is it just me, or is this really getting out of hand? The irony I find in this whole thing, is that CNN, MSNBC, and FOX have done nothing but replay the Janet Jackson "showing" over and over. The only time they blurred her breast, from the shows I have seen, is when they were zooming in on it. I have seen nothing directed at these news stations as far as indecency goes.

Then you have Howard Stern taken off the air by Clear Channel for comments a caller made. I believe thats his own fault for not delaying his broadcast. I just can not fathom Cable and Satellite being monitored. I thought one reason for paying for the services was to see things you could not see on standard tv. I believe I have the right to listen and watch what ever the hell I want to. I believe the broadcasters should be able to do what they wan't to, as far as pay tv goes.

This is really digging into the First Amendment Rights. I say to these people, "If you don't like it, don't tune in!!" You have free will either way. The thing they should be concentrating on is the parents. I myself as a father would not let my daughter watch anything inappropriate
for her age. Lets face it, the way the economy has been and the average cost of daily living, parents spend more time with work then they do with their kids. This could very well possibly be a step in The New World Order.

ATSNN Related News
Americans, You Civil Rights are in Danger!

ATS Related Discussions
Janet Jackson breast gets hit with first lawsuit
Should nudity be legal??
Media Smoke & Mirrors
Howard Stern's Latest Comments Are Beyond Offensive
WE ARE LOSING OUR FREEDOMS...

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Even Rush Limbaugh has come out on Stern's side.

I'd say the ACLU defending Rush was the best thing to happen to him.

He's a Libertarian now.

Deny Republicans.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The ghost of Mary Whitehouse has entered the USA.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I think that Clear Channel had already made up its mind and was poised, waiting for Stern to do something. They took after him on this subject because it has all of the qualities of a scandal that he can't defend well. Racism, sexism, lewd behavior, graphic language, you name it. He has done worse.
I think the morality police are behind this. It's an election year and when groups put the pressure on, Bush and Co. will do whatever they feel is going to be the best thing for his re-election. This is a no-win situation for Stern, as he is being made a pariah, a poster child, if you will, for indecency and the decline of morality and wholesomeness. Bah.
In the years to come, Stern will be known as a pioneer. This is not the end of the road, but merely a right turn. Be it a religious motive or not, the drive for "decency" has been lacking momentum and will take this one as far as they can. This is not the end.

My opinion

Peace,
BG

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
First let me say the GOVERNMENT has no right in deciding what is right or wrong. I live in one of the cities that Howard Stern was taken off the air. If you do not like the content, CHANGE THE GOD DAMNED CHANNEL!!!!!!! I am a conservative, so to speak, but do not find Stern offensive. When I listen to his show, I know what to expect, and if I don't like it, or it makes me uncomfortable in my work place, then I change the channel. There are more people that have complained to the radio station of removing him, than those happy to see him gone. People nned to start taking responsibility for them selves!!! I liked listening to him now and then...if I didn't care for what was on, I CHANGED THE CHANNEL!!! The rest of us should be given this choice!!!

top topics

join