It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Elevator First Test Run video.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It was only 1000 foot test climb, but at least we are seeing some real practical steps towards actually achieving a fully working Space Elevator.

"Although the day started with difficulties, it ended with a successful 1000 foot space elevator test climb to a tethered 10-foot diameter balloon - LiftPort's first really significant climb. This was supposed to be a 1 mile climb test, but the FAA-required aviation orange paint - applied at 50 foot intervals to the ribbon - contained acetone, which weakened the ribbon. The first two attempts of the day resulted in ribbon breaks due to this acetone-induced degradation. (Lesson here: test what you will use!)

A Space Elevator, or more specifically the LiftPort Space Elevator, will consist of a ribbon made of a very strong and very light material, carbon nanotubes, anchored to the Earth's surface at the LiftPort Station with the other end reaching into space. By making the ribbon long enough, and attaching a small satellite as counterweight, the Earth's rotation will provide enough centrifugal effect to overcome the pull of gravity and keep the ribbon taut. The LiftPort Space Elevator will then provide a permanent bridge between earth and space. Elevator cars will be robotic "lifters" which will climb the ribbon to deliver cargo and eventually people to orbit or beyond.

Seems they had quite a few problems.

Video.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Wow this is so cool! Hope everything works out for them!

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
This could possibly be the beginning of buildings in the sky.

Just watched the video, and it's not what I was thinking. I would think the line all the way into space would be more taught than that.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by alaskan]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
that would be an excellent target for terrorists - just sayin'

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I think it was Arthur C Clark who first proposed this idea and suggested the line would have to be made of an incredibly strong material such as diamond.

When I first heard the idea I have to admit it sounded pretty far fetched but if you think that Clark proposed communication satellites in orbit around the earth then maybe any of his other ideas have a basis in reality.

This is potentially exciting news as it demonstrates that people are taking the idea seriously enough to do some preliminary testing.

Reducing the cost of transport to orbit would be tremendously significant to our presence not only in space but outer space as well as enabling much more cost effective ventures to nieghbouring planets, the difference in fact of going or not.

top topics

join