It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

…disinformation? Charlie Wilson’s War – Wilson armed & trained Khadafy & Carlos the Jackal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
…disinformation? Charlie Wilson’s War – Wilson armed & trained Khadafy & Carlos the Jackal

Seen Charlie Wilson War? I haven't, although I understand it's part comedy. In my opinion, I would think the film is largely disinformation propaganda.

Why?

According to Dave Emory

Disclosures that Wilson's operations had been officially sanctioned [by George H.W. Bush] could be very damaging to his son, George W. Bush.

Dave Emory's interview spitfirelist.com... of Mike Ruppert www.copvcia.com... on Wilson.

FTR-192 Mike Ruppert on Ed Wilson 1/23/00
A former LAPD narcotics investigator who has crusaded against the intelligence community's involvement in the narcotics traffic, Mike Ruppert discusses Wilson's case in this interview. The program begins with discussion of Wilson's numerous operations, focusing at considerable length on Wilson's arming and training of Libyan Dictator Khadafy's terrorist cadre in the 1970's. Shipping more than 20 tons of C-4 plastic explosive and hundreds of thousands of timing devices with which to detonate it, Wilson gave Khadafy a huge terrorist arsenal.

In addition, Wilson requisitioned active-duty Special Forces personnel to train Khadafy's terrorists. The program touches on Wilson and Terpil's work in training other notorious terrorists, including Italy's Red Brigades and Carlos the Jackal. Much of the discussion consists of analysis of many of Wilson's key partners in his various operations, including former CIA officer Theodore Shackley, one of the most important figures in the history of CIA clandestine operations. The program reviews material from RFA-4 about the deaths of key witnesses in the Wilson case and discusses the fact that Wilson and Terpil's operations would have been impossible had they not had the tacit approval of U.S. intelligence!

In the second half of the program, Mike discusses new information in the case, especially indications that a number of important Justice Department officials and intelligence officers perjured themselves in order to convict Wilson. Specifically, these officials were party to perjured testimony to the effect that Wilson had not had any contact with the CIA since his official retirement. Disclosure of this may very well result in a new trial for Wilson and possible freedom, a development that could have profound implications for the 2000 presidential race.

Former President George Bush was director of the CIA when Wilson's activities were undertaken. Disclosures that Wilson's operations had been officially sanctioned could be very damaging to his son, George W. Bush. Program Highlights Include: analysis of the death of State department aide Elaine Boatner, who had possible information to provide about the Wilson case; discussion of the proximity in time of Boatner's mysterious death, the airplane crash that almost took the life of former CIA director Stansfield Turner and the resignation of Judge Stanley Sporkin (former general counsel to the CIA); Stansfield Turner's relationship to the Wilson case; Wilson's work for Task Force 157 (a combined Navy and CIA operation); the relationship between Task Force 157 and the Nugan Hand Bank (one of the seminal U.S. guns-for-drugs operations); analysis of the death of former Wilson associate and CIA officer Kevin Mulcahy.

And from this source:[ulr=] www.blueoregon.com... [/url]

The real “Good Time Charlie” Wilson sat two chairs up from me on the House Defense Appropriations Committee for more than a decade. From that perch, I saw and (to an extent) helped him engineer what became the largest covert program in U.S. history—$1 billion—despite the initial timidity of the CIA and odd diffidence of the Reagan White House. And it was done entirely within the clandestine budget, with no publicly recorded vote ever taken.

Charlie Wilson’s War, is based on the wildest sumbitch ever to serve in the modern Congress and how the oddly lovable, coc aine-snorting, womanizing, Scotch-swilling swashbuckler from Lufkin, Texas, just about single-handedly got Congress to give the Mujahdeen modern weapons that drove the Russians out of Afghanistan in 1989, thus helping bring down the Soviet empire.

I recall him in committee, losing a debate on a dubious weapons system that even Defense Secretary Casper Weinberger didn’t want (and that’s saying something). Wilson held up the vote long enough to duck into the telephone booth and emerge with fresh talking points from the arms maker. I don’t remember if he won or lost; the point is that Wilson was butt-naked complicit with the defense lobby and didn’t give a damn.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by counterterrorist]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I did see the movie Charlie Wilson's war. (Big Julia Roberts fan.) I followed the link to the interview with Mike Ruppert but that seems to be concerned with someone named Ed Wilson. I'm a little confused. Is Ed, who is/was a real guy, called Charlie in the movie? Or is the movie about another guy? I read a book about Ed years ago. If memory serves he wound up doing a lot of time in jail. I don't think he was ever an elected official, congressman, but could easily have been ex-CIA, if memory serves. I wish I could remember the name of the book. It was great.

Bottom line, I don't think Charlie and Ed are the same guy. Here's a link to Charlie's Wikipedia entry. I'm virtually certain they are not the same guy.

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1983 Ed Wilson was sentenced to 52 years in prison:

melbourne.indymedia.org...

[edit on 3-5-2008 by ipsedixit]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
No, I read the book, way before the movie ever was conceived. The deal is real, he was a big aspect of the war. Every thing the movie portrays is just tid bits compressed, the movie does no justice, but it is not propaganda in the sence of dis info. That I will swear on.

Charlie did what was needed, and if the US has stayed the course, Afghans would not have lost the faith. Now we pay for hat mistake, and hope fully these last few years have proven where we stand.

I posted about it, and if needed will provide some details.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Charlie and Ed are two different people. The movie tells the story of Charlie, but the first interview linked to by the OP is about Ed. Ed was involved in all kinds of shady CIA activity involving shell companies and banks of convenience. I think Charlie was more of a one trick pony, Afghanistan.

top topics

join