It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill for US Wars Since 9/11: $875 Billion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Bill for US Wars Since 9/11: $875 Billion

www.huffingtonpost.com

President Bush sent lawmakers a $70 billion request Friday to fund U.S. operations in Iraq and Afghanistan into next spring, which would give the next president breathing room to make his or her own war policy.

Congressional analysts say Bush's request would bring the total spending since Sept. 11, 2001, to fight terrorism and conduct the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to $875 billion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Bush's $70 billion request to fund the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq looks like a bargain in comparison to what his administration has spent on those wars and the GWOT since 9/11. The amount is fast approaching $1 trillion.

Spent so far: $875,000,000,000.00.

Wars won: 0

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Yeah, it looks like our treasonous, cowardly congress will help these idiots keep this trainwreck rolling too. They have all sold this nation out and continue to ignore us. Billions more for overseas disasters while we're suffering domestically-pure genius.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

That is a low number from some of the estimates I've read. Some are over $3 trillion. Maybe that was just his entire deficit. I can't remember.

3/4 of a trillion dollars, thousands of Americans dead, hundreds of thousands of Afghanis and Iraqis dead, and no progress. Sounds like a great investment.

I hope Halliburton, Blackwater, Kroll, and the like are happy with what they've started. Assholes.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Boy, you sure could buy an awful lot of rice with that kind of dough. Probably a lot of quality health care too. We could even use that money to fund better education incentives, and maybe even have enough left over to promote job growth and help develop new types of industry so that people can have a place to work. Wouldn't that be something.

Too bad our tax dollars are controlled by psychotic greed mongers who are hell bent on world domination.

"Sorry your school can't afford those text books this year little Jimmy....but we got this here war going on ya see. Maybe next year"

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

More likely, they'd just find some other cesspool to throw the money down.

Remember, folks, the United States federal government is slated to spend nearly $3 TRILLION this year. $875 billion total over the course of 6 or 7 is a drop in the proverbial bucket. In other words, we spend about $2.5 trillion every year on non-defense spending...and this isn't even taking into account state and local spending.

So yeah, you can blame Bush and wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for a lot of things, in some cases rightfully so. But for the financial problems of this country? I don't think so.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
**Sorry -- double post (below) -- please remove**

[edit on 5/3/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This "counter" claims to keep a running total of the IRAQ WAR only...
... you can also break it all the way down to each county in all 50 States. It appears to be on a per capita basis.

The War in Iraq Costs

[edit on 5/3/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Hmmm, a drop in the bucket? Let's do some math: $875 billion / 7 years of war = $125 billion/year.

The FY 2007 Federal budget was $2.6 trillion, and the amount spent on these wars is thus 5% of that. Here's the regular budget:

That would make the amount spent on these wars a decent slice of the pie.

About $12,000 for the average family of four.

Think you're getting what you're paying for?

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by gottago

Its closer to $415 per person in the US yearly, but it doesn't matter.

5% vs 95%. You tell me what's bleeding the populace of this nation dry.

That's not an endorsement of this administration's policies, BTW, but to say that this government flushes a whole lot more than $125 billion down the toilet every year. Where's the outrage over the other $2+ trillion?

[edit on 3-5-2008 by vor78]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Does anyone REALLY think any of these figures are correct?

Charge it to Peter to make it look like Paul spent it... I'd like to see the IRS investigate these accounting practices as vindictively as they go after relatively benign citizens (and, no, I was never audited).

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
the reason why the figures are off is because he doesnt put all this in the budget he does amendments like this 70 billion he is asking for. That way it doesnt show up on that nice little graph there. The military expense if all the amendments were added would be around 40%

new topics

top topics

join