It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think its comin!! this week?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I have to admit, I don't like the sounds of this.... ive felt them all and over 5000!!!!!!!!! gimme a break please

I just wish someone would give us something to believe.

sorry, the link didnt work, here is the article

RENO, Nev. (AP) — The number of earthquakes in a nine-week-long swarm of temblors that has shaken Reno has leveled off in recent days, but the threat of a major earthquake still is not over, seismologists said Friday.
John Anderson, director of the seismological laboratory at the University of Nevada, Reno, said it appears the activity that began Feb. 28 on the west edge of Reno has tapered off over the last three days.
“But we don’t take very much comfort in that because the cumulative number of earthquakes in this sequence has curled over and flattened out before and then accelerated again,” Anderson told reporters at a news conference. “We have no way of predicting which way it’s going to go at this time.”
The strongest aftershock Friday measured 2.9 and was recorded shortly after 10 a.m. It was among more than 15 for the day.
Since the swarm began, Anderson said, more than 600 quakes have been greater than magnitude-1 and more than 5,000 temblors have registered at some level.
Scientists have urged residents to prepare for a major quake after a magnitude-4.7 quake hit on April 25, the strongest in the swarm so far.
The quake swept store shelves clean, cracked walls in homes and broke a wooden flume that carries water to one of two Reno treatment plants. There were no reports of injuries or widespread structural damage.
Scientists said the swarm was unusual in that the quakes had started out small and built in strength.
The quakes have occurred along one or more unmapped faults around Mogul, an area of upscale homes along the eastern Sierra. The quake area, which is roughly two miles long and a half-mile wide, showed no previous signs of seismic activity.
Before April 24, the temblors were only one or two miles deep, seismologists said. Since then, they have been deeper — up to four miles.
Anderson said the quakes have relieved some pressure, but “what we don’t know is how much stress was out there in the first place.”
Reno is located on the border zone between the Pacific and North American tectonic plates, scientists said, and the Pacific plate is moving northward away from the North American plate.
Glenn Biasi, associate research seismology professor at the Reno university, said he’s examining a similar 46-day swarm of quakes that occurred in 1990 around San Ramon, Calif. for clues. The strongest quake in that sequence was 4.6.
“We’re looking for analogies,” Biasi said. “We’re trying to understand better how these quakes work.”
Anderson said recent seismic activity across northern Nevada appears to be unrelated. The Reno swarm began a week after a magnitude-6 temblor in the northern Nevada town of Wells, near the Utah border.
Three other quakes larger than magnitude-3 struck areas scattered hundreds of miles apart across northern Nevada within 24 hours after the 4.7 quake in Reno.
“As far as we know, it’s just a coincidence,” Anderson said.
Nevada is the third most seismically active state in the nation behind California and Alaska. Reno’s last major quake measured 6.1 on April 24, 1914.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by damntheptb]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You could be right. I myself have the 18th of May penciled in as the next significant domestic earthquake. Well anyhow, we'll find out soon enough, eh? At least everyone has been warned and had plenty of time to prepare.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Yeah, they have been preppin us for weeks...... the local paper put together a large flyer in the sunday paper, with everything you need to know about how to "survive" a large quake... including first hand descriptions of a 7.0+ in pleasant valley... where they describe being thrown out of the beds violently in the middle of the night...

I can handle shaking, and rocking, but too lose control of balance is truly frightning... especially when we live on the epicenter, and my wife and I work 20 miles away from our daughters day care.... which is also on top of the epicenters...

new topics

join