It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helen Thomas: Bush Admits He Approved Torture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Helen Thomas: Bush Admits He Approved Torture

www.commondreams.org

Bush also said in the interview that he had been aware of several meetings his national security advisers held to discuss “enhanced interrogation” methods.

Surely he is aware of the U.S. commitment to international treaties barring “cruel and inhumane” treatment of prisoners.

What is startling is that he feels no remorse about the cruel image he has created for us — and the damage done to our credibility and probity.

In referring to the legality of torture, Bush apparently was thinking of a 2002-2003 memo by John Yoo, a Justice Department official who argued military interrogators could subject detainees to harsh treatment as long as it didn’t cause “death, organ failure or permanent damage.” The memo was rescinded.

Bush, who has insisted “we do not torture,” also recently vetoed legislation that explicitly banned torture.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
In a field that has been completely polluted and infiltrated, this gal stands out as a REAL reporter...She is one of our last hopes at going after the REAL news and exposing these monsters that have their feet on the throats of the little people. In a recent Press Conference, she was the ONLY one speaking up about the corruption within our gov, and nobody else even backed her up--Those bought and paid for cowardly corporate shills!...I would advise everyone to write her (Such as Rabbit Chaser recently did) and thank her for her heroism in trying to keep us informed of the atrocities being commited daily by our criminalistic gov.

Helen, you are a true hero of the American people.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Is Congress so cowed that it accepts the statements of a president who has little regard for the truth?

Is there no lawmaker who is appalled about the tarnishing of our image in world opinion? And where are the voices of the other presidential candidates who will inherit the Bush legacy of torture? Why the silence?

I count on the American people to refuse to be shamed any more.

We're trying Helen! We really are! But we need more people like you in the MSM to fight the good fight and get the word out!

www.commondreams.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I thought I'd take you up on emailing her. Sounds like a good idea, give a little support. So, I did. I don't expect a response but it feels good to do a little something instead of just sitting around. Thanks for the idea.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
From the article...

“He was the person who ordered the suicide attack — I mean, the 9/11 attacks,” Bush said. “And back then, there was all kind of concern about people saying, ‘Well, the administration is not connecting the dots.’ You might remember those — that period.” Bush said.

What the hell is that? He still doesn't even have the "official story" memorized yet and note that he is trying to imply people saying "they" didn't do their jobs investigating everything properly, without actually coming out and saying it.

I shake my head from side to side in constant disgust reading all this BS from these people that I'm beginning to think I have Parkinsons' Disease.

**BTW TheLoony -- she did apparently respond with a quick 'something' -- posted here... www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5/2/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Dude, you are right! She just emailed back and said thanks - I didn't say much except thanking her for doing her job so there was no reason for anything more. Kind of cool. I really wasn't trying to be disparaging, I just don't expect a response from anyone anymore.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

I emailed her and thanked her as well. I wish there were more journalists like her.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

I'm guessing a short 'thank you' to her is better than my longer rant... she surely has a full plate. We need many more like her to break thru all this BS

Thanks to DD for the original suggestion to email her

[edit on 5/2/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Helen is a real patriot!

As far as what Bush keeps babbling, he has no brains- truly. The man is just a shell of a man and he is really not FIT. He isnt even fit for a poker game never mind the presidency.

What a loser. And he's in charge of this important nation.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Indeed, she is a lonely voice.

May it eventually be heard on this subject.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by loam]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
He isnt even fit for a poker game never mind the presidency.

Well, to be honest, he can lie like the best of em so i would not want to try and outsmart him with poker
. Anyway
for helen thomas.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Torture is illegal!

I have posted more than a few threads about torture and found this is an unpopular subject.

I am glad that any journalist is picking up this story.

My lord the day that the U.S. endorses torture is a red letter day for me!

Look I know it is a dog eat dog world out there. But it is important that we as a nation stand for something.

Human rights the right to trial and the right to NOT be tortured is fundemental to a democratic process.

Lead by example not with fear!!

top topics

join