It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriot Act 'Protects' U.S. Freedoms: Ashcroft

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Patriot Act 'Protects' U.S. Freedoms: Ashcroft

www.news-leader.com

Surveillance measures allowed under the Patriot Act and other post-Sept. 11 legislation serve to enrich our liberty, not hinder it, John Ashcroft said in Springfield on Thursday.

Ashcroft, a former U.S. attorney general and Missouri governor, was in town to address the Springfield Metropolitan Bar Association at its Law Day U.S.A. luncheon.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I see Ass-hatCroft is back to his usual blubbering of fallacies and fairy-tales. This is the same guy who recently got Booed off stage at one the ever-increasing "public speaking engagements" these crooks appear to be cashing in on from gullible sheeples who are still brainwashed into believing their propaganda. He nearly got tomatoed off stage recently for refering to Obama as "Osama"...He thought he was being clever and cute, unfortunately (for him) the crowd didn't find his wisecrack funny at all, and they let him know it.

Now he's back at it, convincing what sheeples are left that "The Patriot Act is keeping us all safe from those Evil Terrorists! Give up all your freedoms, and we'll keep you safe sheeple peons!"

Ashcroft's broader message was one he's delivered many times over: The Patriot Act safeguards freedoms rather than eroding them.

He dismissed the notion that it was the role of the country to balance security and individual freedoms.

"Liberty and freedom are together in this category of core values that I don't believe is ever to be given up merely for the balance against something else," he said. "The purpose of security is to enrich and sustain liberty. That's what security is all about."

The speech addressed the theme of this year's Law Day, "The Rule of Law: Foundation for Communities of Opportunity and Equity."

^^^Double LOL @ a member of the most corrupt and criminalistic regime ever to foul up the whitehouse speaking about "the rule of law"...Funny how the rule of law applies to none of them...

www.news-leader.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Man... do any of these guys really expect us to 'buy' anything that comes out of their mouths anymore?

Sadly, we'd be MUCH better off if he would have pursued a singing career...

www.youtube.com...

And now backwards, for the true hidden messege...

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

"The purpose of security is to enrich and sustain liberty. That's what security is all about."

Welcome to another neocon's sick and unrealistic fantasy world, where abuse of power is NEVER a concern. Six thousand years of recorded history have proven otherwise, but he sticks to his delusional notion of secured freedom.

LIBERALS in conservative clothing. Think about that.

:shk:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Way back in the eighties when I was in high school a couple of Mormans in school told me if I play Iron Maiden backwards I would conjure up a demon.

I bet I conjured up something worse with that backwards Ashcroft clip.

On a serious note, these guys really irritate me spouting all this nonsense. It truly is incredible that anyone believes them.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
granted we know this,,,,,,,but

how many dumb downed,,,not paying attention americans will believe him
on the premis gov't is good and would never do wrong

probably more believe it than know it's a total sham

which is quite a shame

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Funny you should bring this topic up. I want to share with you something that happened to me on Wednesday evening that completely blew my mind. Please indulge me here as I will do my best to relay the story in it's exact order. True story, honest to god.

I was at a friends house the other night and there were three people present, myself, my friend and a guest of his that I didn't really know very well. So the subject of politics comes up, right away this got people talking about the up and coming election.

I will preface this by saying that these guys were very adamant about who they were voting for in November, and they seemed pretty well versed and well informed about politics and the topic in general. Both college grads, relatively intelligent guys. Early thirties, responsible and employed people.

So we are discussing political topics at length and the question came up of which administration was worst, Bush Jr or Clintons. Things began to get a bit heated, nothing serious mind you, just strong opinions being tossed back and forth.

My friend and his associate proceed to tell me about how they are intending to vote for John Mccain this Nov., and from there began discussing which party had performed worst when in office from 1990-present day. Which tenure had been worst for America as a whole, Clinton versus Bush?

Friend B contends that Clintons reign was so much worse than Bush Jr's. Bosnia, sex scandal, tax and spend etc etc. Good conversation. So playing devils advocate, I offered the opinion that Bush's performance while in office would definately beat out Clinton's for the worst hands down. Clinton left us a surplus budget, the country was in pretty fair condition when he exited. Bush's legacy will be Iraq War, Gitmo etc. Good points made on both sides.

Then what happened next left me literally speechless. To hammer my point home about the Bush admin being by far the worst in recent memory, I suggested to them that the Patriot Act, which was introduced by the Bush admin, had caused the loss of more American civil liberties and constitutional rights than any other such act in recent history. Hence the Bush's were the worst, hands down.

It was amazing. Deer in headlights, the two of them standing there looking completely befuddled. Friend B looked over at friend A, then they simultaneously turned and looked at me with a straight look of confusion....... and that was when friend B uttered the most shocking five words that completely left me in a state of "shock and awe" -

" What is the Patriot Act? "

I almost had a stroke. I just could not believe my ears. How the **** can you be an American citizen and NOT KNOW what the PATRIOT ACT is??? And these people ARE VOTING!@#$!! I didn't know wheather I should laugh or be sick

This country is so screwed.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

That is probably one of the more blasphemous statements this man has said over the course of his lifetime. And he's said some pretty ridiculous things.

I get it now!

Taking away our freedoms ensure the terrorists will not attack us because they won't have any freedoms to hate.

Its so simple, I don't know why I didn't understand it before.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

That is people who get their sole source of info from Mainstream outlets..It is no suprise to me they're clueless. None of these things ever get the coverage or questioning from our ever-corrupt media, so many people have no clue. Its a sad state of affairs how the media is complicit in keeping the masses ignorant.

Biggie---This guy is the worst of the worst when it come to "Authoritorian" mentality...He truly believes that the sheeples should bow down humbly before big brother at every turn.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Yup. These guys get their news soley from a Fox News like source (probably Fox News, and possibly adding in Limbaugh).

If it was any other source, they'd say Clinton was awesome and Bush is terrible - but they still wouldn't know about the patriot act.

And this is why the MSM sucks. Besides pandering towards parties, they report next to nothing.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
The Patriot Act will enhance freedom? Yeah, sure...The same way that blowing your own brains out will protect you from being arrested for attempted suicide.

(You realize that suicide's a crime only if you fail, right?)

Of course, all any Citizen has to realize is that, according to the First Amendment, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
As such, Congress could never provide any valid "due process" to that 324-page blasphemy regardless of any vote.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I just have to say, your post was one of the most enjoyable I've read in a long time.

I'm choosing to laugh. What choice do we really appear to have?

God help us.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by loam]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I just have to say, your post was one of the most enjoyable I've read in a long time.

I'm choosing to laugh. What choice do we really appear to have?

God help us.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by loam]

Haha....thanks.

I am glad that you see the hilarity in the whole thing just as I did. My initial reaction was anger, then confusion, then denial (thought they were kidding), to sadness (when I realized they wern't kidding) to finally arrive at the same conclusion that you have.

May as well get a good laugh of it, nothing that I can do to fix it.

I really mean the part about us all being screwed though
No doubt about it.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Good for you guys to see the humor in it... I do as well... but would certainly not have been able to let it slide by without berating them for not giving a crap about their country (via lack of knowledge).

My friends friend, last night, wasn't as lucky as your two 'sleepers' -- it got heated and very loud... he ended up walking out and leaving after 10 minutes. He apparently could not handle the truth of my 'calling him out' as one of the main problems in this country... apathy.

And although he first admitted he didn't vote... he later said he voted in the Primaries and likes Ron Paul... but he didn't vote for him... frankly didn't vote any Pres. candidate, but claimed to vote for other positions up for election.

When questioned why he didn't vote for Paul, he basically said it didn't matter... WTF... I think this is when it started getting loud, as I told him that he and those like him are the f'ing problem... as he essentially stated, "well, I like this guy, but I won't vote for him because he won't win, so I won't waste my vote nor take any responsibility for my vote... and then I have no responsibility for what happens in the future..."

Morons.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Two things in this thread are commonplace. The first of them being knowledge of the Patriot Act. I cannot tell you how many people I have asked if they know about this come back with "what's the Patriot Act;" astonishing. Typically, I use the Patriot Act to bring up Ron Paul whenever I am telling people about him because of his opposition of it, and that leads me to tell them about how he stands up for the people, and our liberties, and true freedoms.

The second issue that is commonplace during these talks is this question: "Who is Ron Paul?" Two things frustrate me about this. One, the lack of coverage the media gives him, and two... Ron... spend some of that money you have been contributed and get that name out...

I challenge anyone who reads this to ask any and everyone if they know what the Patriot Act is. Educate people as often as you can. The more people know the better off we all are. It is time for change and this is a good start.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by Aaron_Justin]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Your link is broken, so it is impossible to read Ashcroft's (proper spelling) reasoning behind his statement.

It might be that he has a valid point, but we don't know because there is no post to read.

Oh, wait! I found another link:

"There's been a great deal of debate ... regarding my involvement in how we were prepared to defend and sustain freedom," he said. "If you don't like what you get, you better change what you're doing, so the Patriot Act was a means for us to increase our level of activity so we did not suffer a recurrence of what had transpired."

"The roving wiretap made it possible for the court to authorize surveillance of a person, not the surveillance of a particular instrument," he said. "In retrospect, it seems like such common sense."

"Liberty and freedom are together in this category of core values that I don't believe is ever to be given up merely for the balance against something else," he said. "The purpose of security is to enrich and sustain liberty. That's what security is all about."

/3kfvgr

While these are not his complete comments, it does provide better access to his reasoning.

There is more of Ashcroft's speech in the article.

[edit on 2008/5/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
You do not need to read that speach to learn about the Patriot Act, to learn the real truth, read the Patriot Act. That way, theres no spin on just how it strips freedoms under the false guise of security.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'd like to pose a question! Is it better to know your enemy and to know whats being planned or is it better to live with our eyes and ears blocked and no idea what might happen? I realise that most here think our government is the true enemy but do you actualy think that no one else is our enemy? Do you realy believe that negotiation with the extreme wing of the Muslim community will actualy bere fruit? A major tennent of Islamic teaching is that it is no sin to lie to an infidel. Most of us here are infidels and I'd wager 99% of the people we'd send to negotiate would come under this heading! Read what they are saying about us. Read what they so loudly expound of the plans they have for us. Loosing freedom is aborant to most here and I am one of them, but just how do you combat the very real threat we are under when we can't trust any negotiation or peace plan that just leaves them to plan longer and without scrutiny. I am at a loss as to how to handle this and I'm reasonably sure most here that protest what our government is trying have any realistic plan that would work better.
I'm not trying to cause a rift here but I am realy wondering how you would do it differantly!
Zindo

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I remember watching an episode of Jeopardy, and the final question, which I cannot remember exactly, had as the answer 'What is the PATRIOT act?" I was watching with my family, and I knew the answer instantly. Neither my parents (who are really smart) nor ANY of the 3 contestants got it right, and I assume they were pretty smart, too, to be on the show.

I can't claim to know what's in the heads of the American politicians, but I know if I was GWB, I'd be keeping the existence of the PATRIOT act very, very quiet, and hoping that no one found out about it until it was too late, i.e. the FBI knocking on your door.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Mr. Ashcroft and company are espousing a propaganda script that has been continuously refined by himself and those hiding behind the Right Wing facade since before Viet Nam was known to exist by most Americans. It is no wonder that they have developed verbal camouflage for their 'principles' of governance.

I suspect many here a well aware of the circle of people in which we find this wellspring of wisdom from the 'we know better than you how to make you happy - now shut up - sit down - pay your taxes - and consume!' club.

That his/their concept of liberty rejects the will of those protected is surely indicative of the self-assigned position he and his peers seem to hold within this 'safe' world they 'engineered' in their minds. Somewhere they will eventually codify the natural end-product of safety - the people should be 'farmed' like livestock - safe and subject to no 'dangers'. For them 'Freedom' is 'Slavery' is a reality.

It's like those IT folks who want to lock down the business PC's until they just become 'terminals'. Oh yeah, we're safer now. Except, we're not really, are we?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join