It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victory in first round of campaign to force EU treaty referendum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Victory in first round of campaign to force EU treaty referendum

www.telegraph.co.uk

Stuart Wheeler, one of Britain’s richest men, has won the first round of his battle to force Gordon Brown to hold a referendum on the EU Reform Treaty...

...Today judges ruled that the challenge can go ahead. The likely two-day court hearing could prove to be very embarrassing for ministers if internal Government memos and emails are revealed.

The legal challenge could also delay the ratification of the controversial treaty by months if court time is not granted shortly...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.stuartwheeler.co.uk
libertarian alliance.wordpress.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
How Brussels has wiped England and the English Channel off the map
British ratification of EU treaty- a loss of freedom

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
A lot of us in Britain have been commenting and complaining about the Lisbon treaty and its implications for Britain on ATS and online MSM news sites. I for one am very glad that the High Court in London has allowed Stuart Wheeler to take Gordon Brown to court over this issue.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/5/08 by Rapacity]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
gordon brown and is homosexual ministers are afraid of the british people because he knows we hate europe and every law it has rammed down our throats...i hate the conservatives but at least they will do something about the immigrants

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The below quote is from Mr Wheeler's website.

On 22 April there was a hearing in the High Court of my action against the Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary, in which I seek a judicial review of their refusal to hold a referendum on whether the Lisbon Treaty should be ratified. Judgement was reserved. This meant that the judge needed time to consider the arguments and would give his decision later. 2 May 10:00 a.m. - I am delighted to say that in his judgement delivered at the High Court this morning Mr Justice Owen decided that permission to apply for judicial review would be granted to me. In other words the result of the hearing last week is that we won. I expect to put more information on this website shortly. Although I am the person bringing the action it is, in effect, on behalf of all those of us – well over half the population – who want our say in a referendum. There are, I believe, two reasons why there should be a referendum: 1. The Labour Party, as well as the other two main parties, made an unambiguous promise that they would call one. They should keep that promise. 2. The Treaty is immensely important and so, irrespective of whether you think it should be ratified or not, you should be allowed a vote on it. Pleased as, of course, I am to have won this morning, the result does mean that the maximum possible costs of the case are now far, far greater than if I had lost and my case and my case had ended! I now have to face the costs of a hearing on 9 and 10 June, a further likely hearing in the Court of Appeal, and finally a further hearing in the House of Lords (the judicial arm). If that happens and if I lose in the House of Lords I shall have, with one exception, to pay all the costs of both sides. So I am afraid this is a further request for financial help to anyone who can afford it. I am very grateful indeed for those who have already given me financial support. If you would like to help please make cheques payable to Stuart Wheeler Lisbon Litigation Account and send them to me with this contribution form. If you need to know anything else which is not covered by this website please e-mail me at [email protected]

Personally, I think the EU will benefit the British people by giving us a few rights. Regardless of my own opinion, I think this is a decision that all people born in the British Isles* should be involved in via a referendum; and if it affects the commonwealth (which it probably will) then the citizens of all commonwealth nations should be invited to get involved in this debate - should Britain merge its sovereignty with the EU and renounce its status as an independent nation.

* Excluding first generation immigrants and people under the age of 21.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm not against the treaty as such.

My problem has always been the broken promises and the spin used to justify them.

The treaty is substantively the same as the old constitution (96% the same?) but brown and co would have us believe they are completely different.

I just don't like being lied to or treated like I'm stupid - labour have done a lot of this.

Lots of spin and very little substance...

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You could of course argue that some rich tory with nothing better to do with his money is screwing over a democratically elected Labour government ... with the tacit support and connivance of the opposition, judiciary & right wing media ... "the establishment".

Makes you wonder what MI5 are up to these days ... I wonder if Gordon now shares Harold Wilson's paranoia ?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
The only problem with that is that brown was never elected in a democratic election.

He was just handed the reins...

Good call on the conspiracy angle

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I offer my best wishes and regards to our friends in the UK. I hope this goes well for you all, and you get your collective 'voices' back from 'those people.'

I do hope you will keep us informed, as the media here is very likely to give us their corporate pablum in support of your oppressors (their owner). So we probably won't have access to accurate information unless you share it with us yourselves.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

With the utmost respect......

You’re on here and you actually believe that ANY of the three main parties have/would do anything for us??? I'm staggered. Just who do you think have shaped the policies/laws that have made the UK just what it is today... i.e. a PC governed TOILET, full of ignorant couch potatoes who when they can be bothered to get up, go straight out and get legless followed by abusive brawling! Yeah, any US posters reading this if you don't know the UK is the drunken/brawling capital of Europe. Shame as its got some of the most stunning accessible mountains and natural coastline. Oh and we used to have self respect and integrity.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Waken up, it’s just about preparing for the final phase of the NWO! There are NO party’s that will govern to benefit the people.

I listen (or used to listen) to all these big boy, grown-up political conversations and so called debates on radio, TV in newspapers and realised that participation in this twaddle only gave credence to ‘their’ contrived control game. I sometimes listen to John Simpson from Radio 4 giving a really hard interview (hehehheee) of some political mouth-piece and it’s so hilarious or it would be if both people involved were laughing but they’re not they’re actually speaking like it all has credibility it’s so scary. And these people are making decisions that will shape how I exist in this country!

top topics

join