It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Salmon Fishing Banned on West Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

All Salmon Fishing Banned on West Coast

www.sfgate.com

Salmon fishing was banned along the West Coast for the first time in 160 years Thursday, a decision that is expected to have a devastating economic impact on fishermen, dozens of businesses, tourism and boating.

It followed the recommendation last month of the Pacific Fishery Management Council after the catastrophic disappearance of California's fabled fall run of the pink fish popularly known as king salmon.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is regarding the dramatic decline in the chinook salmon population on the west coast. Chinook salmon, also known as King Salmon, has been a personal favorite of mine since I used to go fishing with my dad as a kid.

Where have all the salmon gone? Is it another example of a species disappearing? I don't know what to make of this, but for those interested, there is another thread that discusses this subject:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
A predictable move.

Now let's see if it's too late.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I had not heard about this. Certainly not a good sign at all. I wonder if everyone realizes the gravity of this news?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Definitely a major issue with some potentially devastating causes/future effects.

I used to fish the Sacramento River quite often in the early 90's and there were always plenty of salmon to be had. In fact, the first fish I ever caught all by myself was a Chinook!! Makes me kind of sad that other kids might not be able to have that same experience.

This is very strange, as there was no mention of over-poaching or environmental hazards in the area. It appears that the salmon just have not been returning to spawn. What could cause that?

I hope this is something that can be "fixed".

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Looks like the salmon are hanging out with the honey bees.

I suspect salmon will become VERY expensive VERY soon. I had read somewhere that this was precipitated by 'accidentally' introducing a 'special' stock of farm-raised salmon into the wild. I don't know if that's just eco-propaganda or perhaps it's diversionary cover for another Monsanto-playing-god debacle.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
They don't mention the over harvesting of our salmon, but that is exactly what's happening here.
We have huge trawlers from as far as Korea netting directly into known runs. They aren't there for the salmon supposedly, therefore it is not illegal for them to do what they do. But, we all know that they process every last bit of usable products they pull up, salmon included.

It is already getting a bit funny feeling around here since this announcement hit the locals.

Hope for the future knocked down another notch.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

My guess is that its probably just the result of over-fishing. The same has been happening in many other areas of the world's oceans that once yielded rich catches. Can that be reversed? Hopefully.

While it may not directly tie into this particular situation, on the whole, I think we're just finally reaching the point where there are just too many people on this planet and it is placing too much strain on a finite amount of resources in our environment.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Yeah, your probably right about our consumption practices.

But wouldn't that equate it to businesses 'enabling' the overfishing to happen? After all, it's not like everyone in the state was huddled around every stream or patch of beach yanking out salmon willie nilly.

Aren't the fishing companies required to be stewards of the stock? I can't believe they would be so greedy as to fish themselves out of business.

new topics

top topics

join