It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Marijuana User, 'Denied Liver Transplant' Dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Medical Marijuana User, 'Denied Liver Transplant' Dies

www.rawstory.com

A man who was denied a liver transplant because he used marijuana with medical approval to ease the symptoms of hepatitis C has died.

Timothy Garon, 56, died Thursday at Bailey-Boushay House, an intensive care nursing center, said his lawyer, Douglas Hiatt, and Alisha Mark, a spokeswoman for Virginia Mason Medical Center, which operates Bailey-Boushay.

His death came a week after his doctor told him a University of Washington Medical Center committee had again denied him a spot on the liver transplant list because of his use of marijuana, although it was authorized under Washington state law.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Man, this is SICKENING. This type of crap has got to stop. We need a policy change ASAP on this issue, particularly when it comes to MEDICALLY PRESCRIBED Cannabis for pain relief...

This guy, despite LEGALLY being prescribed, was DISCRIMINATED against, and DIED as a result!

The case highlights an ethical consideration for those allocating organs for transplant: whether using dope with a doctor's blessing should be held against a dying patient in need of a transplant.

The Virginia-based United Network for Organ Sharing, which oversees the nation's transplant system, leaves it to individual hospitals to develop criteria for transplant candidates.

At some, people who use "illicit substances" — including medical marijuana, even in the dozen states that allow it — are automatically rejected. At others, patients are given a chance to reapply if they stay clean for six months. Marijuana is illegal under federal law.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
That's ridiculous, meanwhile 1000s of alcoholics get new livers and they're the ones that destroyed it in the first place!

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It's quite common to deny all sorts of medical care to marijuana users.......but the medical community has no problem with giving that same medical care to convicted murders on death row!!

There should be a special place in torment for these hypocrites.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I simply don't understand why a patient's past medicinal marijuana use would make him ineligible for a liver transplant. Where they afraid his horrible THC-laced blood might get all over the surgeons and make them high? His liver was already failing, it's not like they were going to stuff it in anyone else.

If you ask me, it was just the hospital trying to save a buck, and pulling in the almighty devil weed as an excuse to let the guy die. What a country we live in.

*edit*- This makes me glad I've never admitted anything to any of my doctors. They always say it's best to let the doctor know everything, but clearly if you want to stay alive you gotta keep your weed habits a secret even from your family doctor.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by drwizardphd]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The guy caught Hep-C sharing needles to inject speed. I'm not really sure he deserved a healthy liver after doing that. I would say put him on the list, but if someone who needs a liver through no fault of their own (ie: they didn't shoot drugs, drink themselves to death, etc) move them ahead of him on the list.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
if you ask me someone with friends got the liver an used their legal drug use as a ploy to get them legally denied....

Welcome to the future..... No one gives a rats Behind..... Virginia has denied THC users life......

may life teach them the greatest lesson of all.....

its ok honestly, this is a world on its way to change an people are gonna lose their flippin minds in the process.... just a few more years till its over....

never thought in a million years a person would be denied life for using something that grew on this planet before they were a twinkle in their mommahs eye.

May this be resolved somehow....

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think a lot of doctors suffer from one psychological disorder:

God Complex

They pick who lives and who dies.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You would condemn a man for a mistake made in his teenage years? What about Bush's alcohol and coc aine habit in his college days, which probably still continues today? Would you allow him a transplant if he destroyed his liver due to alcohol or "legal" drugs?

No you would not.

This man made a mistake as a teen, as EVERYONE does, and it turned out to cost him his life.

Just another case of discrimination against people who use natural medicines. Go big pharma!

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You would condemn a man for a mistake made in his teenage years? What about Bush's alcohol and coc aine habit in his college days, which probably still continues today? Would you allow him a transplant if he destroyed his liver due to alcohol or "legal" drugs?

No you would not.

This man made a mistake as a teen, as EVERYONE does, and it turned out to cost him his life.

Just another case of discrimination against people who use natural medicines. Go big pharma!

No, and I wouldn't have given Mickey Mantle a new liver, either... and I've met the man and have his autograph. This is just one more example in an ever lengthening string of examples of how the liberal mindset conditions its followers to never accept any of the consequences of their actions. I would like to know who else is on the waiting list, particularly who he would have bumped down had he been put on there. You're right, everyone does commit mistakes as a teen, interestingly everyone doesn't commit the mistake of intraveinous drug use as a teen. In fact, that moves outside the realm of a mistake and into the realm of being worthy of a Darwin award. So, should his award be sent to his graveside for the service or would his family like it sent directly to teh estate?

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
i cant believe that did that to that guy. those doctors are a bunch of aholes. i hope they sue them. those doctors make me sick.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
the reason why he was denied the liver transplant is because marijuana is illegal on the federal level. Now its time to change the law. the mainstream media is reporting it.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by anti us gov]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Ridiculous!

That is a basis for medical malpractice if i ever saw one.
Doctors aren't subject to any law to deny health care to an individual. This goes directly against the hippocratic oath.

This is a political stance that should ensue a disbarring from medical practice for the person guilty.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LockwithnoKey

I hope now that since this is breaking people will try to change this stupid law and your right they dont have to listen to the law. Its prohibition, thats what is going on.

new topics

top topics

join