It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National "DNA warehouse" bill passes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

National "DNA warehouse" bill passes

rinf.com

Passing the House of Representatives on a voice vote, S. 1858 has been sent to President Bush for signature. The Newborn Genetic Screening bill was passed by the Senate last December. The bill violates the U.S. Constitution and the Nuremberg Code, writes Twila Brase, president of the Citizen’s Council on Health Care (CCHC). “The DNA taken at birth from every citizen is essentially owned by the government, and every citizen becomes a potential subject of government-sponsored genetic research,”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
answers.yahoo.com
www.opencongress.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
National “DNA warehouse” bill passes
Britain Plans Fingerprinting of all 11y/o by 2010

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This bill should be regarded as the enabling step for future eugenics programs, ranging from covert and overt discrimination of individuals based on their genetic makeup up to precautionary 'confinement' and monitoring, imprisonment and on the longer run, if history is any indication, death, probably invoking public safety. The inherent dangers are tremendous, when you take into account that such DNA profles could f-ex. easily be used to find suitable organ donors, so you could become a target of assasination and organ robery without a warning, because the data WILL be leaked there's just too much money in it and i'll have to ask all of you whether you'd be willing to take chances with your life, depending on how 'benevolent' the administration of, say, 2032 will be.

This effort appears to be the latest Orwellian scheme which targets primarily children, with the clear intention to phase in a total surveillance state, complete with DNA, Retina and Fingerprint profiles stored in a central database. (see 2nd ATS link)

Note that these profiles cannot be changed when compromised, making their use for purposes of identification problematic to say the least. Considering the astronomic cost of such programs, the rela question is why are they really doing it.

Demand answers, and most importantly, do not comply with every totalitarian nonsense coming out of Congress if you can help it.

rinf.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2.5.2008 by Long Lance]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Separate the lizard hearted from the Human hearted...?

What they are doing is a definite eugenics effort, once again, disguised as "for our own good."

Well... The future, with lizard hearts in control, is ugly. VERY ugly. Somehow we must elevate the Human hearted. Take control of our planet.

I wish us much luck.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
just in case you haven't thought of the following application yet:

what if you were the product of an extramarital affair? with global genetic monitoring, it could not be kept secret, so what would the consequences lokk like? loss of tax benefits of the entire family, divorce maybe with the woman receiving the short end?

you've got to keep in mind the /conservative/ and increasingly fundamentalist values of today and extrapolate two decades....

would you like to live in such a society?

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I will say this much, they will not be getting the DNA of my future children. I will do a home birth, deliver them myself, whatever it takes. This is way across the line. I am so sick of big government trying to decide whats "good" for me.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Starred and flagged!

Actually I didn't know 'the land of the free' was that far ahead monitoring the individual. It's been a hot debate in Europe for a long time, but I would say any legislation still was a decade of more ahead ...if not for this bill now passed in the US.

Hopefully EU is reluctant copying this law.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Hopefully EU is reluctant copying this law.

there's a saying that speed kills, ie. the totalitarianists are trying to stampede this legislation through Congress (wtf are these people smoking?) so they won't have to fight an uphill battle later on, when awareness has increased.

as for the EU, i wouldn't hold my breath, it took them all of two weeks to copy the snooping & groping nonsense at airports after 9/11. these rules are still being tightened every other year and the EU freely shared the information they had on its own citizens with the DHS...

news.bbc.co.uk...

until they were foiled by court.

of course it took a while and millions of peoples' details had already been handed over.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

Another step towards eugenics? Or is this yet another attempt to further classify the citizenry?

Either way this is a sickening attempt at creating a database that will be hacked, used carelessly and marketed for the profit of the government. Our government disgusts me.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Aaron_Justin

Home birth is exactley what I did. It wasn't easy finding the doctor and mid-wives. Hospitals will gather DNA on the mother and the baby then put the testing cost on your bill then pass the data storage cost to all of us. I have never even donated blood because of this invasion of privacy.

My concern is the RH Negative factor and O- being universal donors. I can see future round ups of certain DNA profiles.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kelbtalfenek
Thanks for posting this.

Another step towards eugenics? Or is this yet another attempt to further classify the citizenry?

i don't really know what they are thinking, all i can see is the predictable outcome. eugenics is very much alive, loook around you, whow much of today's system is geared towards determining the alledged value of an individual rather than required capabilities. the entire notion of IQ scores are just that, but they have nothing to do with the job you have to pass the test for. do you think that all these doctors who had fully embraced eugenics suddenly changed their minds in 1945? it was simply forced underground and vigilance is a must, because it was an ideologically motivated movement spanning the entire world, and the defeat of the 3rd reich was just a setback in this context.

www.notdeadyet.org...

www.eugenicsarchive.org...

the ideology is here, the police state is almost here, the database in question is about to be implemented, so it's really a late stage of hangman, one more mistake and we're crowfood. there are other dangers, countless ones even, but this scenario is apocalyptic, it's like nazi germany, global edition.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
just to avoid any misconceptions:

www.govtrack.us...

Introduced Jul 23, 2007
Scheduled for Debate Dec 5, 2007
Passed Senate [details] Dec 13, 2007
Passed House Apr 8, 2008
Signed by President Apr 24, 2008

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
This DNA screening bill may help to explain this anti-discrimination law:

House sends anti-genetic discrimination bill to Bush

"Currently the fear of misuse of genetic information is preventing people from getting these important genetic tests done," said Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Texas. "The refusal to utilize effective genetic tests hurts individuals, researchers, and doctors alike. Lack of testing denies individuals important medical information that they could otherwise use to be proactively managing within their health with their doctor."

I initially felt that the anti-discrimination bill was a good thing. Now I wonder, however, whether it may be an attempt at monopolizing citizens' genetic data for use exclusively outside the public and business sectors.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

If there were no genetic database there would be no need for anti genetic discrimination laws!!! I swear that all the problems of the world must have started with one problem thousands of years ago and just grew exponentially out of the "solutions" to that original problem.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I didn't realise the USA were moving in the same direction as the UK quite as quickly as this. We already have a DNA database whereby if you are questioned by the police your DNA is added and can't be removed. Also if you volunteer your DNA as part of an investigation it gets added. There have been some recent calls for this database to be extended to include everyone. (database info here, extension of database here)

Of course the UK already has plans to introduce an ID card system which will include your iris scan and finger prints. There is already a central database which has all your medical records on, which anyone in the health service can access. We also have apparently 1 CCTV camera for every 14 people in the UK. The government would also like to put car monitoring devices in all cras so that they can charge us for using the roads on a per mile basis.

I don't want to suggest that our Orwellian civilization is worse than yours, because I doubt that it is, but we have many problems here as well. All of this needs to be stopped, but then the majority seem to just roll over and accept it when the magic words 'terrorist threat' are wheeled out

top topics

join