It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it worth it for me to fill my mind with truth or is ignorance truly bliss?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
"wisdom increaseth sorrow, and in much knowledge is much grief." King
Solomon
He asked God for wisdom to rule his people.
The truth is a heavy burden to bare. Has no material value. Can make the bearer, hated, alienated and outcast. But without it, or at least the hope of finding it. All that is left is staying as drunk or drugged as you can.

I like Jesus' words. "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free". So I place my hope in that promise.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Look for the balance in both some knowlege may fall your way that is too close to the core of your being and may make you upset towards other parties, but nonetheless (you have a choice) as with all things in life.

I have dug very hard even at the core of( my own being) to come up with things that may not be pleasant to this layer of being, but are understood for a necessity for growth.

Life is about death and if you learn to die gracefully all is forgotten.

The death of the ego is a process of personal responsibilty.

Good thread and appropriate.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I suppose it could go either way then. I think I'll keep searching though. Maybe someday someone will figure this whole thing out and without other people's research to develop on it could take significantly longer a time. Something is true about why we are here and in every other situation also. For some reason that nobody knows for certain there is conciousness and in that lies an existence. Maybe a member of another species knows like in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy''. The dolphins knew it all. Well, "so long and thanks for all the fish".

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

Ha ha! Finally!! I have felt the very same way for a while now. Sometimes I question if the truth is worth the anxiety. But in the end i cope by trying to be a positive skeptic if there is such a thing and know that good or bad it is truly me who is in charge of where I go and what I do, regardless of what perceived constraints may be looming over us.

It's worth it to know, but not to dread.

Take care,
Gnosis

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

Great post. And everyone here really. This makes me feel like there is so much to live (in truth) for, and so much to accomplish. And you know what, it sounds kinda fun.

Some great advice that also hits home with me is when Dalen said be careful how you try to accomplish things, don't become the thing which you fight.

To the OP: I have asked myself that question every day for like a year "Is it worth it, is it necessary?" And btw, you are probably further along than I am, pretty low on the ladder here (but well intentioned)

But I have to say with the past few days, and some study, and now this post... Things just don't seem pointless anymore. It's like that's a question not even worth asking. Facing challenges and appreciating the good times, and don't overdo it. I feel as though I should be totally wrapped up in living, life, and spirit, in a positive way, not standing back pondering "Will it be worth it?"

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
There are probably moments when you feel that you may be going crazy, but I have found that these are precursors to a new awakening to a new piece of truth.
I have often thought how simple life was before I started asking all these questions of the universe, for that is really where our answers are coming from. But, then would I really want to go back to sleep like the majority of the world is, and of course the answer is no.
The difficulty is finding like minded people to talk with, most people think you're nuts, so you end up not saying anything.
Everything we know, everything we have been taught is a lie. There is no hell, no heaven though there is an afterlife. God is not what we've been taught, God doesn't get involved in our lives. Free will is an illusion, we are born with a contract for our lives, and as much as I wish that there was a supreme being that was looking out for us, righting all the wrongs and punishing the wicked and evil, it's just not so. Though I believe that we all pay the piper before we leave this existence in some form or fashion.
We have lived many times before and we will live many more lives, how many I know not. Although after this life I'd like my soul to not reincarnate. We have to learn a certain amount of acceptance, and then continue to try to do the best we can, be the best that we can be, non-judgemental, greedy, etc. We are here to love and care for one another we just do such a poor job of it.
Our ego is the one thing that causes all the misery in the world. Someone once wrote that when we allow the power of love to overcome the love of power then there will be peace in ourselves and the world.
I wish I could say that it gets easier, but it doesn't the truth that we know at this moment is but a tiny fraction of what there is to know.
Take care my friend, Namaste, Rick

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
MOTIVATING

You people are great. Everytime I try to have an introspective discussion about anything with anyone other than my fiancee, it's either over in two minutes because who I am speaking with has no idea what i'm talking about, or i'm pretty much talking to myself for an hour getting the occasional "yeah" or "what". That sucks, for lack of a better word. Ever since I found out that all the fantastic, beautiful, happy ending stories that my parents read me and showed me on T.V. were not real, and the world was "not magical" I didn't want to believe it. I always thought there was something more and I still do; I just don't know what. All of those stories came from somewhere. I'm starting to believe that anything we can think up is possible. I know ,cliche cliche, but still. I believe there's something wonderous lurking right under my nose and I do want to find it even if it means opening a bunch of cans of worms; it might be worth it.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by devildogUSMC

I’m reminded of the old cliché – ‘The more you find out, the more you realise you don’t know’ – and you’re right, often the truth is painful. Life isn’t fair and as you’re obviously aware by now, you won’t always find a Disney movie type happy ending.

The quest for truth in life is very much a personal one – and the answers you receive as to whether to continue that quest, will also be based on personal opinion. I suppose on first inspection the answer is either ‘yes’ or ‘no’ – but of course, the strange kind of people who frequent ATS (including myself) will offer you far more than that.

‘Know thyself’ is a good start, but in reality it actually takes most of your life to achieve. The fact that you went so far as join the Marines in your quest, indicates that like most of us, you are pretty much hooked.

You also indicate that it’s not the search itself that bothers you, but rather the kind of answers you’re discovering. Similar to you, I was in the armed forces for twenty two years and I discovered much about myself, other people and the world around me.

After retirement, I took on a job that was in completely the opposite direction. I began to look after severely abused children with additional behavioural disorders in full-time residential care. I learned more about people in the few years of doing that job than I ever did in the Army.

If you view your search as a ‘fight’, you will always meet resistance of some kind. It may be better to open your mind and be receptive, rather than doggedly hunt for the answers.

At present, you will be confronted by a huge amount of conflicting and contradictory information coming from those who subscribe to whichever belief system offers them most comfort. Many will try to convince others that this is the truth in an attempt to rationalise and reinforce their own belief.

A discerning individual like yourself will undoubtedly have problems wading through the detritus of mass misinformation. However, from experience, if you are receptive and you broaden your view, when the truth does appear, it tends to shine out like a beacon.

If you are a fisherman at the side of a lake and a passerby tells you there are no fish in the lake - do you give up and go home or do you continue to enjoy your day fishing?

As with most things in life – it’s the search that is important.

Afternote: Couldn't help noticing your signature - Use boots one size larger than normal and wear light cotton sports socks under your thicker issue pair. It's like walking on air!

[edit on 2/5/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by devildogUSMC
I have spent the majority of my adult life on a quest for truth. I have been willing to go to any lengths up until this point. I even joined the United States Marine Corps. only because I felt I needed to know what really went on. I wish I had not. Every answer I get and Every inch I come closer to the truth in many arenas cause me nothing but psychological and emotional pain. I don't think I can win this fight anymore but I also don't think I can quit. I know the motto of this website is to deny ignorance, but honestly sometimes lately I wish for it. Does anyone else feel the same way?

It is human nature to be curious about the truth.

If you ask any body i mean anybody about either how life began or UFO's or anything else, they are extremely interested and could debate and talk about it for hours!

Do not ignore the truth even if it scares you...

No matter how long you search you will never find what you are looking for!

[edit on 2-5-2008 by CoNsPiRaCy PhReAk]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrdyn

That fishing analogy was great. And i will definately keep that in the forefront of my mind about the fighting attitude. I have to be honest and admit that some of my frustrations do have to do with the fact that alot of times I go about searching for my truth the wrong way. For some reason I have always felt the need to expierience things for my self first hand. I have always thought that was the way to understand something, to do it, and for a great many things it is. I think I may have picked the wrong things though. The Marine Corps. taught me alot of good things but I don't think they meant to. I don't mean tactics and weapons training or any vocational skill or anything like that. And I do think they brainwash us, but not as how to think, only automated response to orders. That's all they need. But I did learn that true friendship was something that I had not experienced until that point. I learned what frindship was. I also learned that no matter how bad a situation gets I can't give up no matter what. And now that I wrote that I am reflecting on it and I know that if I give up on my quest for truth my life might as well be over. If I give up, I lose. When I first got out of the Marine Corps., I thought I just wasted three and a half years of my life and all I have to show for it are nightmares,which were horrible by the way. I didn't run with the greatest crowd before I had left and when I got back I started hanging out with them again. But now they were into heroin. I could not understand it. The way they acted, the way they felt, the way they needed it, how they would do almost anything to get it; it intrigued me. I tried it, and I kept doing it for two years. That was closest I have ever felt to evil. I did alot of things I am not proud of in that time. I had no control over myself. It took getting arrested and going to jail for me to stop, at first only because I could not get any in jail. But I slowly turned back into myself. When I got out I went into a rehab even though I wasn't physically addicted anymore the mental part was just as bad and I wanted to learn about what had happened to me and they knew. They knew alot. I wish I would have just asked them in the first place, but that isn't me. It's not easy being me.
But all the pain those and some other experiences have brought me, actually I brought myself, I'm sorry, I don't regret them. I know I said earlier I wish I had not joined the Marines, but I don't anymore. I'm glad I did everything that I did. I'm glad I know that the heroin addict on the corner might be alright one day, and I'm glad I know how he feels. Otherwise I might just consider him a dirty junkie. I guess whtever my experiences are, no matter how poor my decisions that get me there are, I can always learn valuable things and I can never give up. I'm sorry everyone; I really have been thinking out loud for a while now. I'm just starting to understand myself a little I think. Thank you all. I'll shutup now.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CoNsPiRaCy PhReAk

I guess you never find something if you look for it, like love or the remote control. You just have to go about your life and keep your eyes/mind open huh? Good point.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Thats what allows us to feel true empathy.

I know what you are saying. I am the same way. I have to experience for myself. And boy did I do that! I did not live a boring life. I got in a lot of trouble, but I also did some good, and I experienced a lot. I have traveled well.

I am sick now, and have settled as a result, but I still seek ways to experience something new and I quickly get bored if I am not learning something. I think thats why I hate watching tv. It bores me to tears unless it is a good documentary or something.

I am also a chronic mover. This time we bought a house so I think we are here to stay now, but at this point in my life it is finally ok for me to do that.

We all start out the same on an experience level. We are all in different walks of life, but we all learn the same thing in general I think. People just get stuck in different areas. Or they choose to stagnate , some shut down, some move on . So we are all walking around with different levels of experience, and trying to get along
For me, this is my truth. I have decided my truth is just that. My experience. No one elses truth can me mine and vise versa. So I seek to get as much of that experience as I possibly can

Ama

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Sorry to hear you are sick. I wish you the best. It seems I'm not the only one that wrestles with these thoughts. That in itself is comforting. I was starting to think I was losing it. I guess "I'm finding it.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Here is a link to a forum you may enjoy where we discuss these kinds of things. Its not my forum, so Im not advertising or anything. Some of the things are out there, others really make you think.

www.stevepavlina.com...

Hope Im allowed to put that on here.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Ouch!

I'll send a U2U about this post of yours...

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Howdy Devildog,

I am much in the same situation, my craving for truth and justice ended me up in the US Army (don't give me crap, too many marines already give me grief for being Army) and it's not pretty what is inside.

You have to let go and realise that you are there for the men and woman to the left and right of you and let everything going on back home go.

In combat ignorance is essential, if you focus on things back home your mind will not be in the 'game' and that's not the way to be.

Focus on your next mission, the next time you leave the gate do what's right, do what it takes to protect your buddies.

A big Hooah or Oorah from me man,

PFC Blokker.

link   
I love pork.

Chops with sauerkraut and mashed potates. Pulled pork sandos with homemade coleslaw. Man, my girlfriend does this thing with ribs where she crock-pots them in Dr. Pepper, onions, and Liquid Smoke all day and then she has me que 'em with sauce for a bit. Absolutely the most amazing-falling-off-the-bone ribs you will ever eat!!!

Yesterday I was slowing to pull off the freeway and one of those livestock haulers with the holes in it started to pass me on the left. I took a good look over and it was full of hogs. I looked back to the road but then the thought of exactly just what I was looking at struck me. I looked closer at the load of chops and ribs sticking there noses out the holes when all of the sudden I was face-to-face with another one of the Earth's creatures looking me right in the eye.

I couldn't help but feel the sadness in the creatures eyes, and once again, I am so ashamed to be a human being.

Yes, ignorance is bliss, but at what cost to your soul?

link   
reply to post by amatrine

Thank you. I will definately check that out. I'm figuring out so much for myself. I'm so happy you all took the time to post here; I'm really getting alot out of it. You are some motivating people. Truly insightful, all of you. My sincere thanks to everyone.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I don't know what is going on in your life, but it's better then sitting around going stale....

Originally posted by devildogUSMC
reply to post by CoNsPiRaCy PhReAk

I guess you never find something if you look for it, like love or the remote control. You just have to go about your life and keep your eyes/mind open huh? Good point.

OR finding it where it was but not seeing it, like keys in shoe, remote control in front of your face (until you ask where is it)
and the one I hate the most...

Where's my glasses?

On your face dummy.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Ihavenoidea]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I don't know which is better to be honest. I sort of feel like I live in two different worlds. One world is my normal world I grew up with where the people around me are good people, where my government is a representation of those very same good people and where my world is filled with opportunities and happiness.

Then there is this other world filled with corrupted people, possible alien this or that, mysteries, terrorism and a fear filled world. I don't want to live in that world, but yet now that I have learned what I have I can't just stick my head in the sand either. Makes me want to just move up into the mountains and forget about that world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join